Terraria: Otherworld On a Quest for Otherworldy News!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terraria 1's style is very distinct from Starbound's style of weapon swinging, and T:OW has its own team and artists entirely, so there is no overlap between the T:OW's sprite creators and T1/Starbound.

Not sure what's going on here, but I DID NOT say that! Must be a glitch of some kind, I guess, because it says at the top of the quote that I originally said that. This might not be the case for other people, maybe it's just me.

EDIT: In fact, I just looked through the whole thread and the post Leinfors said I said doesn't seem to be their at all.

Last edited:
That is odd indeed.....would have to ask him what happened.

Yes. The exact same NPC's from Terraria.
What Loki said. Although they look the same, they aren't since they didn't need the player to fight a boss or build a house for them to show up. The mechanic also seems to actually be doing something instead of just being a walking vending machine.

Have to have a nice mix of the new and the old, sir. :)

It all keeps with the "its Terraria....but yet it isn't" notion. ;)
At the moment, seems it has way too much of the old.
What Loki said. Although they look the same, they aren't since they didn't need the player to fight a boss or build a house for them to show up.
That's an extremely small difference.
The mechanic also seems to actually be doing something instead of just being a walking vending machine.
So now she's also a walking quest dispenser. Like the angler.

At the moment, seems it has way too much of the old.

Already showed one NPC that had no place in T1. Plus, the basics of the world, etc are going to look "similar" - I mean, its a 2d sandbox adventure/RPG/Strategy game. So the first part of that is what you are seeing.

Hard to show off the RPG - especially things like the story - in an Alpha still. ;)

So now she's also a walking quest dispenser. Like the angler.

In this one screen, with what would ostensibly be a VERY early quest, sure. Then again, quests of varying types are how RPGs advance plot in nearly every RPG ever....the difference being how they are written and executed in separating the bland from the memorable. Again, hard to show in a screenshot.

That said, the proof will ultimately be in the end result...or not...we shall see. ;)

The more I hear about T:O, the more it seems "exactly like Terraria but with better graphics".
Technically speaking, T:O is more of a "re-invention" of Terraria. Redigit stated that Terraria's current engine was far too limited to do everything we wanted to, so essentially T:O is "Terraria with a more professionally created engine".

The bigger, more interesting elements such as new items, RPG elements, game mechanics and whatnot are probably in such infant stages in development that there probably isn't MUCH that Re-Logic / Engine can spoil. It's only the Alpha phase: EVERYTHING is subject to change. I mean, it's not uncommon for games to be developed for months, even years, only for the dev team to scrap everything and start from scratch with a better idea.

Think of T:O as a human being.
Right now it's a fetus, it barely looks human and most of it's internal organs aren't even physically developed yet let alone functioning. But it's growing.

Do modders agree that the engine is too limited?
Maybe not excatly limited but it's kind of a messy code. Some of the newer parts look better but the core is quite badly planned. Lots of "copy-paste" type code pieces etc. Also C# compiler probably doesn't create as fast code as C++ language that Otherworld is programmed with.

I just hope they don't restrict PC version to get identical game for all platforms. Like change the controls to be more gamepad friendly at the cost of mouse/keyboard, or remove modding features.

Probably because we've seen so little of the game. Come on, man, have some faith!
...And all we've seen has been directly lifted from Terraria. The gem staves, hell, and now even the NPC's are from the previous game.

I don't see much point in this spin-off, to be honest. They should've just made a proper Terraria 2 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom