Game Mechanics On Dungeon Fishing

What you've done so far is petty good.
Oh, it's really just been recolors of existing sprites, with one or two pixel edits here and there if I think it looks too weird. I think most of my original coloring has been pretty flat honestly. All I did with most of these was pick the color, change it to blue without changing saturation or shade, and replaced all pixels of that color. Same with my other post about hybrid biomes, although I did do more edits there when I thought it needed more variety.

I personally like fishing in the game a lot (I know this isn't always a popular take though-- you either love fishing or you hate it) and I've realised that it would be fun to have new fishing content that's really far into the game. I think pre-hardmode dungeon fishing is actually fine as it is, and there shouldn't be a dungeon fishing quest in at least pre-hardmode as that just adds more annoying-to-reach quests you'll probably skip.
But if all this stuff was introduced post-plantera, that would be a super interesting new feature. The dungeon is full of tough enemies at that point, so you'd have to fish on your toes like never before. And after the devs added blood moon and underworld fishing, which are also both dangerous ways to fish, I feel like this suggestion could really work. This should also be when new Angler quests appear, as by this point you probably have a convenient way to reach the dungeon, and it'd let players know that you could find something new down there.

I personally like fishing in the game a lot (I know this isn't always a popular take though-- you either love fishing or you hate it) and I've realised that it would be fun to have new fishing content that's really far into the game. I think pre-hardmode dungeon fishing is actually fine as it is, and there shouldn't be a dungeon fishing quest in at least pre-hardmode as that just adds more annoying-to-reach quests you'll probably skip.
But if all this stuff was introduced post-plantera, that would be a super interesting new feature. The dungeon is full of tough enemies at that point, so you'd have to fish on your toes like never before. And after the devs added blood moon and underworld fishing, which are also both dangerous ways to fish, I feel like this suggestion could really work. This should also be when new Angler quests appear, as by this point you probably have a convenient way to reach the dungeon, and it'd let players know that you could find something new down there.
My only issue with putting this stuff in post-Plantera is that it would mean that Dungeon fishing remains barren for most of the game. I personally would like it to get interesting much sooner. I do see your point about Dungeon fishing quests in pre-Hardmode being annoying to reach, but I still think there should be at least one so that players are told that fishing in the Dungeon is possible.

My only issue with putting this stuff in post-Plantera is that it would mean that Dungeon fishing remains barren for most of the game. I personally would like it to get interesting much sooner. I do see your point about Dungeon fishing quests in pre-Hardmode being annoying to reach, but I still think there should be at least one so that players are told that fishing in the Dungeon is possible.
It is barren, but I still find the alchemy table and golden lock boxes to be enough for me. Mostly because at that exact point in progression, you have underworld fishing to do, and usually a lot of it. I think an incentive to fish in the dungeon pre-hm would be more important if the underworld fishing didn't come into play at the exact same time. You can get a ton of useful stuff from it, but it takes so long you also get kind of burnt out of fishing from it, too.

That cool-looking summon weapon could also easily be added to underworld fishing as a bone serpent staff, I just thought was funny.

Cool idea: Skeleton Pufferfish
A pufferfish skeleton that has metal spikes for spines
Creates the piercing potion, which reduces the damage falloff from piercing enemies

I like this. I think it would work best if there was a guaranteed "fishing room" in the dungeon, where a pool of water big enough for fishing could spawn to skip out on the annoying process of building a lake.

I like this. I think it would work best if there was a guaranteed "fishing room" in the dungeon, where a pool of water big enough for fishing could spawn to skip out on the annoying process of building a lake.
There are huge water pit traps you can find that were added in Journey's End, and I've never seen a dungeon without one... so far.
I like them because the idea that you're fishing in a trap really captures the whole theme of the Dungeon.

There are huge water pit traps you can find that were added in Journey's End, and I've never seen a dungeon without one... so far.
I like them because the idea that you're fishing in a trap really captures the whole theme of the Dungeon.
Right. That was part of the impetus for my suggestion. Although, now that I think of it, the minimum lake size should probably be decreased in the Dungeon, since a lot of those water traps probably aren't 300 blocks. Maybe 180 blocks would work?

I did remember the water traps, but if dungeon fishing were to be overhauled then I think that something a little more aesthetic in the chaotic place would be really cool. At the same time, I can see how it would be cool to use the trap as a fishing spot. I would be interested to see what a game designer would think.

I did remember the water traps, but if dungeon fishing were to be overhauled then I think that something a little more aesthetic in the chaotic place would be really cool. At the same time, I can see how it would be cool to use the trap as a fishing spot. I would be interested to see what a game designer would think.
I like the idea of it being in a trap because it gives the sense that this wasn't always a fishing spot, it just became one after the Dungeon became run-down. The lore says that the Dungeon was once a bustling, prosperous city, until it fell under an evil curse, and the fish I've come up with are based on the Dungeon in the state we find it now. I like to think they moved in after the Dungeon fell. But I can also see why you'd want a more designated fishing spot.

If one of the devs commented on this post, I'd be a very happy boy. All I can do is cross my fingers!

We also need a way to get more biome weapons per world, since we can get biome keys. Rare chance for biome chest crates, maybe altogether they have the chance of a gold/titanium crate? Still need biome keys to open them, of course, but I want vampire knives in every world.

Fishing has only gotten better and better as time has gone on. Most major updates have introduced big additions to fishing. 1.4 in particular was enormous, adding fishing content for every biome that deserved it, as well as making lava fishing both accessible and worthwhile. However, through all of this, there is one area of fishing that has remained mostly untouched, and that's Dungeon fishing.

Dungeon fishing has a lot of potential to be something interesting, and in this post I will give some suggestions to help it reach that potential. The problem with Dungeon fishing has always been its accessibility, and this used to be understandable; after all, the Dungeon doesn't have predetermined water features, and it's not a biome in the same sense as the Jungle or the Corruption are biomes. But with the changes that 1.4 made to how the Dungeon generates, large pits of water are seen very often in the structure, which means Dungeon fishing is much more accessible to the player. The only problem is, the Dungeon is too dangerous for most new players to think of fishing in it, and veteran players generally have no need for the extra loot gotten from Golden Lock Boxes, as there are enough Locked Gold Chests to be found in the Dungeon to satisfy any playthrough. These, then, are the problems that remain to be fixed: new players should be alerted to Dungeon fishing, and old players should have a reason to do it.

Part 1: Introducing Dungeon Fishing
The first problem is easily solved by putting Quest fish in the Dungeon. Players who are interested in fishing will be speaking with the Angler every day to turn in quest fish, so this is a good way to point new players towards specific fishing zones. I suggest that there be three Quest fish that can be found in the Dungeon, being the following:

• The Fishotron, an existing Quest fish in the game, should be moved to the Dungeon. This seems obvious to me, and honestly I'm surprised it hasn't been done already.
  • The Darkwater Eel, a slimy little fella who enjoys the reclusive dark corners and watery magic of the Dungeon. View attachment 424721
  • Finally, once the world enters Hardmode, a third Quest fish would appear in the Dungeon: the Ecto Trout, a ghostly fish infused with the ectoplasm that has begun to gather in the Dungeon. View attachment 424722

These quests would only be possible to get after Skeletron is defeated, but in order to ensure that this is a feature that reaches the players, the second and seventh fishing quests after the defeat of Skeletron would be guaranteed to be Dungeon fish. Additionally, there could be certain quest rewards that are tied to these Dungeon quests, similarly to the Bumblebee Tuna. To avoid adding new items in this suggestion, I think that the informational accessories, the Tackle Bag ingredients, and the Golden Bug Net should have a greater chance of being rewarded when turning in Dungeon fishing quests. This would motivate players to fish in the Dungeon more often, while also rewarding the player for taking the risk of fishing in the Dungeon by reducing the RNG on the most desirable items that the Angler rewards.

Part 2: Making Dungeon Fishing More Worthwhile
The second problem is a knottier one. We need a reason to choose Dungeon fishing over other biomes from time to time. I have a few ideas for how this could be accomplished.
  • To start with, fishing in the Dungeon should have a 3% chance to reel in a Golden Key. While Golden Keys are not really all that uncommon, you can never have too many, and this would provide another way to get them if you somehow find yourself in need of one.
  • Dungeon Crates deserve an overhaul. As they are now, they're essentially just Iron/Mythril crates with one additional item. Obsidian and Hellstone crates got their own special loot tables, and comparatively the Dungeon crates just feel a bit lackluster. I think Dungeon Crates should be changed in the following ways:
    • Low tier ores (copper, tin, iron, and lead) do not drop from Dungeon and Stockade crates.
    • Dungeon and Stockade crates now have a unique selection of potions that can be gotten from them: Ammo Reservation, Titan, Summoning, Mana Regeneration, Lesser Luck, and Endurance. These potions are (mostly) very valuable, and four of them have class-specific benefits. However, to compensate for this powerful selection of potions, they drop in smaller amounts, being limited to 1-2 potions instead of the 2-4 possible with the current in-game selection.
    • Stockade Crates no longer have Golden Lock Boxes. The items found in these boxes aren't useful in Hardmode anyway, and since Shimmer allows you to turn Stockade Crates into Dungeon Crates, there is no loss of opportunity by removing Lock Boxes from Stockade Crates. In their place, Stockade Crates should give an item dropped by regular Mimics. I feel that this fits thematically, as the Dungeon is very chest-centric in its loot anyway, while also not breaking progression or making powering up much easier.
    • Finally, Dungeon and Stockade crates should have a chance to drop a random Dungeon painting. This would enable having multiple copies of the paintings on one world without needing to pull them from other worlds, as well as adding further variety and identity to the crates.
  • There should be unique fish found in the Dungeon that are used in potions. While I recognize that at this point in development, adding new items is probably not going to happen, it's a shame to not at least try. If the Dungeon is considered its own biome in terms of fishing, it should not be the only biome without a unique potion ingredient. (Honey has Honeyfins, which act as potions in their own right.) I've come up with the following three ideas, and again I apologize for not spriting these yet:
    • Stout Stonefish: View attachment 424904 a blue fish of noteworthy ugliness. Combine with Bottled Water, a Blinkroot, and a Deathweed to make a Fury Potion, View attachment 424907 which increases melee speed by 10% for 4 minutes. (This is probably the most obvious potion idea in the world, but I think it has real merit.)
    • Flat Stonefish: View attachment 424905 a pink fish of significant ugliness. Combine with Bottled Water, a Blinkroot, and a Daybloom to make an Unflinching Potion, View attachment 424908 which provides knockback immunity for 8 minutes.
    • Thin Stonefish: View attachment 424906 a green fish of remarkable ugliness. Combine with Bottled Water, a Blinkroot, and a Shiverthorn to make a Piercing Poion, View attachment 424909 which provides 10 armor penetration for 6 minutes.
  • Finally, the Dungeon should have a fish weapon in Hardmode, in the same vein as the Corruption, Crimson and Hallow. This is the most ambitious part of this suggestion, as well as the most unnecessary, but I wanted to include it anyway. As the existing weapons gotten through fishing in biomes cover three of the four classes, it seems natural to me that there should be a Summon weapon gotten through fishing, and the Dungeon could be the place to get it. Here's what I've come up with:
    • Cartilage Staff
      24 summon damage
      Very weak knockback (2)
      Summons a skeletal shark to gnaw on your foes
      View attachment 424720
    • This staff works very much like an early Hardmode version of the Stardust Dragon Staff. Instead of summoning multiple sharks, the existing shark gets longer and has increased damage. The damage increases by 25% of the initial damage for each summon, as well as adding 2 armor penetration to the shark. The shark would follow the same attack and movement patterns as the Stardust Dragon, flying around the player and going after enemies within its range, although it would be slower and would not hit as often. Also, while it would be able to go through blocks to attack enemies, it would not target enemies through blocks, so it still needs ordinary line of sight to attack enemies.
      View attachment 425324
    • This item would benefit the game in a couple of ways. It's a reason to go back to the Dungeon at the beginning of Hardmode, which normally players do not do as the Dungeon does not offer new loot in early Hardmode. Additionally, as said before, it closes the gap in Hardmode fishing weapons. I also think that there should be more minions in Terraria that work like the Stardust Dragon, compounding damage onto one minion instead of summoning an army. It also would synergize well with the Firecracker, which is certainly something.

Conclusion
The Dungeon is one of the most important parts of Terraria, and deserves to be fleshed-out in as many aspects as possible. It has a very unique air compared to the rest of the game, but that air is not contributed to at all by fishing in its current state. It would be a shame to leave Dungeon fishing in the state it's in now. These ideas I've come up with are rough and unpolished, mostly spitballing ways to spice up the game, but even if my ideas aren't used at all, something ought to be done.
i think being able to get furniture would be good

i think being able to get furniture would be good
Well, you can already fish up an Alchemy Table in the Dungeon, which by means of Shimmer means you can get infinite Bewitching Tables as well. But there is a very limited supply of Dungeon furniture, as well as the incomplete Gothic furniture set. Being able to craft these would be better than fishing them up, but I suppose we do already have a precedent for fishing up furniture in the Dungeon, so it could totally work there too. It'd have to be carefully limited, though, so as not to make them too common.

also how do you do the spoilers stuff under all your coments, i have a doc for my mod/suggestions and want to be able to show/share it?
On the bar at the top of the text box, there's an icon that looks like three dots. It's next to the smiley face. Click that and the spoiler option is in there, it's the icon that looks like an eye that's crossed out.

On the bar at the top of the text box, there's an icon that looks like three dots. It's next to the smiley face. Click that and the spoiler option is in there, it's the icon that looks like an eye that's crossed out.
i mean the attachment that links your other posts. is it the status?

Back
Top Bottom