On Medusa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hie the Badger

The Destroyer
I've spent the last 30 minutes staring at my screen and stirring bits of cake into the icing I raked off of it (yes I had cake in the morning, I haven't been to the store) and occasionally taking my mouse and baking the :red: out of enemies with shadowflame. I'm sitting in a marble biome waiting for medusa of course. My goal? Taking her head as a trophy to prove to people around me that I have no problem with fighting her unlike many others. And doing it before the nerfs hit.

I've noticed that medusa is not as common as people keep saying (hoplites on the other have spawn 2 and 3 at a time). I know people tend to exaggerate things when they are mentally shaken by things but it still kind of lead me on that this would be a neat challenge considering the apparent danger of this creature. At first I didn't give a :red: because medusa doesn't catch me in a position to instantly kill me. But now I want her head. So I have been doing this since last night, went to bed, woke up at 4 am and went right back to it. No head, and I haven't even broke 50 kills on medusa but I figured I would share some notes I have to far..

1. Medusa is very rare inside the marble biome. Only hoplites spawn and other enemies quickly fill the spawn limit (especially if it's near a jungle or ice biome). But oustide the biome you can regularly get a medusa to spawn. My technique is to build a bridge outside the biome and run back and fourth across it, you can almost always get one to spawn, signified by getting turned to stone on the spot.

2. I have noticed reduced spawn rate with the presence of lights. I got no spawns for 15 minutes when I randomly decided to light the place up, but the spawning resumed when I tore the lights down. I rely on shine potions to light my path.

3. Medusa does not always turn you to stone right away. I've had her walk right up to me on multiple occasions and start punching me without turning me to stone.

I understand there is a thread about this but that thread is about nerfing medusa, something I disagree with but cant seem to sway the inhabitants of that thread and I feel this is so off topic when it comes to the subject of nerfing.

How many other people managed to get this head?

Update: I finally got a medusa head to drop and it's pretty good.

Last edited:
I have like 30 Medusa heads. I've been selling them. :/

Yeah I don't have that many because they don't spawn for me. But.

P2Ubf3e.jpg

They're being as exaggerated as the "fact" bombing clowns would spawn by the dozen and tear your house apart before you could do :red: about it, back when they were introduced. Maybe jumping over dark pits while in complete darkness is what should be nerfed...

They're being as exaggerated as the "fact" bombing clowns would spawn by the dozen and tear your house apart before you could do :red: about it, back when they were introduced. Maybe jumping over dark pits while in complete darkness is what should be nerfed...

Honestly, I think the best comparison to the Medusa scenario are explosive traps.

Plenty of people say both is cheap deaths. Plenty say that there isn't much you can do about them. But...you can avoid both in certain ways, by not lollygagging around in the caverns.

That is assuming explosive -->traps<-- exist anymore. I don't know whether they were changed to 'abandoned mining devices' because of 1.3.

Observation and illumination will save you from both issues - Medusas love to hide in the dark and troll you from there? light up the whole freaking underground, it's not like torches are hard to carry around. Traps get you every time? Learn to see the obvious sprite of its trigger (made more obvious with light.)

Just like with traffic, there's no accidents, just lack of preparation.

I've been trying somewhat for a head too and have had no luck thusfar. On the issue of difficulty/problems with her, I can't say I'm bothered. I haven't really played normal mode in 1.3 yet, and I have attributed every bit of the brutality in expert mode to the mode itself, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I guess if the mob is too OP in normal mode those complaining might have an argument, but leave expert mode alone please. The most fuss so far I think has been over Medusa and the Destroyer, but I happen to love the challenge and difficulty posed by these.

I know this is slightly off topic, but I wanted to give the $.02 of one Terraria enthusiast of middling skill.

Yeah, I've got the head, and it's not that annoying. For the Medusa to actually be of any danger at all, unless you're horribly under-geared, you would have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. There's no other real way for it to pose much of a danger to you. I have, on occasion, been frozen by an out-of-biome Medusa while fighting Plantera, but I survived anyway, soz.

The problem is not with them killing me. They don't. The problem is with them barely even spawning. May have to set up an elaborate farming zone I suppose.

I will try and summarize and explain the anti medusa argument and my thoughts on the issue

The aspect of them killing is correct they are highly lethal mainly due to the fall damage all that is needed to spawn them is a marble block for example I've found one source for medusa spawns that was literally 2 marble blocks in an otherwise granite biome. my full solar armor character who grinds the lunar boss to get the few items I'm missing because I keep getting portal staves meow mere and starwraths and not any other drops...

basically the problem is medusa spawning where they shouldn't and hitting you off screen (honestly if you ask me just throw in a rare drop that nulifies petrification and make it an ankh shield component and it will be good enough as the main problem is that prehardmode enemy is lethal to end tier characters that could one shot her is they knew she was there In fact looking at the play style of end tier characters (using wings,ROD, mounts and grappling hooks to get around faster) she actually becomes more lethal for end game characters (this has only happened to me once as they are really easy to deal with if you know they are there, and they are a rare spawn)
The only problem is the fall damage utterly destroying characters that are geared to trivialize the game using a mount that requires 40 luminate bars that are simply trying to set up a farm to grind for rare dye components...

aka give more solutions for endgame characters and fix the glitchy "hit box" of them and that will be fine for me...

fyI they probably are exaggerated a bit in the frequency but this is due to deaths to them being very stand out and brutal more over most of the people who I are complaining are actually in normal mode and often are new players who have returned to the game because of the 1.3 update. I have a friend who died 9 times finally managed to kill one and then rage quit when another one spawned. The problem is the enemy is making people quit normal mode which is not okay if people are not enjoying the game then there is no reason for the game to exist as games are meant to be entertainment.

the only changes I would do would be
1) maximum range to reduce off screen deaths as they seem to be the largest source of complaint from the community in normal mode
2)rare medusa drop to counteract them at the cost of an accessory for people that really hate them
3)possibly tone down the fall damage enough so endgame characters don't insta die to them because they use endgame wings/mounts extended to make the world easier to traverse in normal mode
4)perhaps restrict them to spawning on marble(like how eaters spawn off of ebonstone) so people stop wining about them at least in normal mode

These nerf would be relatively small so I don't understand the counter rage... Its not a big deal to me as I've only died once to them but I know people who effectively have been hard stopped by them and it is humiliating to die with a maxed out character to a prehardmode mob so I can understand their rage especially when they do not know a marble biome is nearby as they are exploring part of the world for the first time.

I really recommend looking at things from another perspective it helps reduce the tension and aggression this was a problem with the 1.2 lifestyle nerf and its shown its ugly head again.

That is a fascinating bit of information. Perhaps I could save marble that way.

But this is not about the :red:ing nerf/buff/whatever of medusa. It's a light thread about farming medusa and odd things I noticed about getting her to spawn. Trying to net more information about it that other people have found. Apparently someone has 30 heads. I suppose that is lucky enough. He doesn't seem to provide any tips though.

Don't bring that dragon here and most importantly don't get my thread locked. Argue with me in the other thread if you really want to argue enemy power (though I left that thread because I assumed mods would start bearing down on me for my opinion pressing).

Also. Medusa doesn't seem to like spawning inside her biome in general. I get more of them by walking into the neighboring granite biome I set up camp in.

PS. Hey look a medusa banner.

Last edited:
Me and my friends are playing in a group of 3 in expert mode. So far, we only got the banner, and one of us got the Medusa head.
Side note: We aren't farming them, only killing them on sight, since I was the first to die to them when I thought I could easily cheese them by using my grappling hook. (We don't look up things, So I just didn't know about that petrifying stuff.)

Got a bit mad about it, but I found Red Devils to be MUCH more of a threat in expert mode, than the ever-so-rare medusa. (Though we did have the bad luck to have one of them interfere with out Plantera-Fight, but it went good.)

I just find them utterly annoying. For me there is no real reason why they should be nerfed.
An extra item to add to the Ankh-Charm would be nice, though not entirely necessary, since there isn't an item vs Feral Bites and Blackout either.

If you want to farm them, I'd just settle down in the Marble biome, and dig a big square-sized hole of maybe 100x100 Size, so they can't wander off and spawn right inside of it.

Then just sit on the top corner with a water candle and a Battle Potion up, and hope for Blood Moon / Night-Time.

Medusas supposedly spawn similar to Wyverns in that there can only ever be one in the world at a time.

Despite some other "give me more challenge" tryhards like I have seen around arguing in a positive manner towards the medusa, the Terraria Community Forums is filled with request of other players indicating that "Medusa" is an extremely dangerous and unfair mob (aka being OP) which you can get killed by without even knowing there was a medusa around in the first place, you figure that out when you get stoned and plummet to death out of random, unavoidingly.

Said tryhards give completely biased inputs regarding their view on why it should be that way and whatnot, but take in consideration that despite Lunar Event being so drastically difficult, you do not see players complaining because it is endgame and it should be hard, but then you take this pre-hardmode mob that can instantly kill you without warning of any kind... and how is that "fair and challenging" gameplay? It is not despite any frail and unfundamented arguments some of you may bring. She needs a nerf.

To avoid reading something again like "just avoid marble biome", medusae tend to spawn away from the biome which means you will likely may be not seeing ANY marble biome nearby and you just randomly jump to get to a higher cave when you find yourself stoned by a hidden medusa closed inside an unlit cavern, making you fall to an inevitable death... that is not a challenge, that is plain punishment.

The only problem I have with them is the offscreen-iness. Otherwise, bring it on. I'll take them over expert mode Lunar adds any day.

Did you create this thread because you got so roundly destroyed in the other thread about the Medusa?

Sort of seems like you are trying to re-argue the point whilst pretending the thread is about something else.

Please don't spam.

Just do the old thing where you make the only spawanble surface a small-ish (15-20 blocks) platform of marble. 36-ish blocks above that, make a small marble surface to afk on. Plop down water candle, obvioiusly. If you did it right (and you kill them quickly enough) you'll get a constant stream of medusas. In the time it took me to use the bathroom, I had a small pile of medusa heads and gladiator sets waiting on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom