On Strange Plants...

Don't forget that the Dye Trader only rewards some kinds of Dye after you've beaten certain events.
Ensure, that you've progressed very far into the game, before trading them into him, or you might only get not-so-beautiful Dyes.

im so salty i swear to god i have spent the last 5 days grinding dyes just to get gel dye. this is my dye chest so far
c463406857ba06410d7cb3b911eb39ef.png

not a single gel dye, every single pre hardmode dye besides it

I gave him like 30 plants total by now, all i get are reflective variations, 3 types of acid, glowing mushroom and some mirages. The guy just won't give me anything else.

Well that's probably cause you are not in hard mode because those are all the pre hardmode dyes lol

Hey guys, I just found this on the page for strange plants:
Official Terraria Wiki said:
  • You can grow strange plants if you run across grass with the Flower Boots equipped. This method can be sped up by hovering a yoyo over the block you stand on to destroy the plants, and they will keep regrowing until you get a strange plant
Can anyone confirm (or deny) this?

Hades Dye and Solar wings looks amazing. Also, the plants can spawn on grass with a dirt backround. Testing with Flower boots has yielded nothing but gold bugs.

Last edited:
I built a skybridge to try and find some before the spawn rate was increased. Now I'm getting tons of them! :)

Though I've noticed something: I've traded in about ten strange plants, and four times I've gotten Chlorophyte Dye, so now I have 12. And someone earlier in the thread mentioned getting that one twice in a row too. I checked the decompiled code, and that one is only added to the list once, but is there a bug somewhere else that causes that one to get picked more often than others?

(The function that determines which dyes can be given as rewards is Player.GetDyeTraderReward().)

I farm my plants in a fresh large world and turn them in to the NPC in the world where I have done everything. I have a chest nearly full with how many variety of dyes I have just from Strange Plants.

They are pretty easy to find on the map as they are mostly Red while most other plants are green, blue or yellow and other colors. I just use the map and look for red pixels on the surface. Then I check with the cursor and go get it. I have gotten 13 so far these last 3 hours by doing this.

Last edited:
i was building a hole downwards and strange plants were spawning in the hole like crazy for no reason. I did have about 6 content mods installed though, and a minion that "leaves behind poisonous seawater", so idk man

Back
Top Bottom