On Strange Plants...

Eh, maybe I'll try that when I get some decent mining tools.
Sounds like a plan, could always make some mining potions too.

You know what I just realized; I am on an EXPERT mode world; I wonder if the spawning chance for Strange plants is higher? *Shrugs* No idea.

Sounds like a plan, could always make some mining potions too.

You know what I just realized; I am on an EXPERT mode world; I wonder if the spawning chance for Strange plants is higher? *Shrugs* No idea.
Maybe, but my world is also expert mode and I am having no such luck.

Supposedly the devs are looking into it so it might just have to be a wait and see kind of thing. I went to go check out reddit for a bit and there were a lot of people finding NONE whatsoever. :I
Maybe the spawn rate is glitchingly low like the old uzi rate at something like .0008%
Or maybe there's some other mechanic at work that we don't understand.

So I found my third strange plant. Each time the plant has been near the end of my bridge, over a snow biome. I think that helps honestly. If we are going under the assumption that it can't spawn within a certain distance from any other dye plant, then a snow biome is one of the best since I rarely (if ever) see a dye plant on show. For those interested, my sky bridge is exactly at 750 sky

If we are going under the assumption that it can't spawn within a certain distance from any other dye plant, then a snow biome is one of the best since I rarely (if ever) see a dye plant on show.
Quoting the wiki
  • Strange Plants cannot grow within 700ft of each other, or any other dye plant.
So, yeah, being in a snow biome would help, since no dye plants(except lime kelp) grow in snow.

So I guess the absolute ideal strange plant world would be an ocean-to-ocean artificial snow biome with two or three dirt bridges spaced broadly overtop. So... has anyone done the fastest block placement math for 1.3 yet? lel

I found one the other day and I use it. 'Flowing acid' or something like that, it looks cool.
Oh, it was on the surface in the forest on the way to the dungeon.

Quoting the wiki
  • Strange Plants cannot grow within 700ft of each other, or any other dye plant.
So, yeah, being in a snow biome would help, since no dye plants(except lime kelp) grow in snow.
I wouldn't trust the wiki 100% yet so close to release, especially on the matter of these plants, but yeah it would probably help...
...Unfortunately us on small worlds get next to no benefit from it ._.

Been thinking on this issue for awhile. I believe obtaining the flower boots and roaming around under sky bridges, (Aka on the surface and just making flowers sprout up where dye plants of other kinds normally spawn) and then checking the dirt sky bridges for things will help a lot given the flowers are taking up all slots for normal dyes and allows you to focus on checking the dirt bridges (Might help some people.) right now I'm going through and cutting down marigolds and blueberries, etc.

Been thinking on this issue for awhile. I believe obtaining the flower boots and roaming around under sky bridges, (Aka on the surface and just making flowers sprout up where dye plants of other kinds normally spawn) and then checking the dirt sky bridges for things will help a lot given the flowers are taking up all slots for normal dyes and allows you to focus on checking the dirt bridges (Might help some people.) right now I'm going through and cutting down marigolds and blueberries, etc.
That would be effective if regular grasses prevented dye plants from growing, but they don't. Marigolds will just pop up to replace them.

That would be effective if regular grasses prevented dye plants from growing, but they don't. Marigolds will just pop up to replace them.
Hmm.. I guess if people got really desperate they could cover the top of the surface with stone/clay/wood etc if that's the case. ;-;

Bleck. There's really little people can do to boost it eh? :I

...I guess turning everything in a glowing mushroom biome would work too with the solution.. >_>..

Editedit: Also; you could plant the entire surface area with trees.

I mean if you're surfacing the entire world, an inventory full of lava buckets would probably be the quickest.

I mean if you're surfacing the entire world, an inventory full of lava buckets would probably be the quickest.
Mmm. Yeah but I was trying to be productive while covering the world, with trees you could make a lot of wood which is always needed (at least for me.) With flowers it just makes it prettier, but that's not effective as I just found out. Hmhmhmhhmm..

I played for about an hour. During that time I made sure to clear out Blueberries, marigolds yada yada growing on the surface, and I got 4 Strange plants in that time from the sky bridge.

I don't know how to explain it honestly. And I already took them in to get the goods, got a gold reflective, so 3(2) six chloro and the Mushroom dye I mentioned earlier on my status.

I made a bridge out of over 1800 dirt and clear out all dye plants from on the surface of my world, then check periodically on the bridge, there's usually at least one every ten minutes or so on average for me. It's a Large world with the bridge being built at 750~ feetish in the sky. The top of the world is at 1100 so it's either glitched or the wiki peeps don't know what they are talking about as me and others have previously mentioned; probably glitched. Some people might not get them period. I believe it's mostly other dye items interfering with the spawn radius. Half of my world is planted up with trees so nothing else can grow, I try to leave mushrooms wherever they are.

I don't know how to explain it honestly. And I already took them in to get the goods, got a gold reflective, so 3(2) six chloro and the Mushroom dye I mentioned earlier on my status.

Wait, you mean you got a duplicate? That shouldn't happen until you get all of them. (I'm not saying it's a glitch; I'm saying I don't think it should happen.)

Just found another Strange Plant. First one I found not on a sky island. it was in jungle. I've been plucking all the grass on my map when I fly by recently, I made a sky bridge one for grass and dirt. No results there. Maybe harvesting all the current, on map, dye plants will increase the chances of a strange plant spawn?

Here is an album. I found the Burning Hades dye. I also got the living rainbow in the past.
http://imgur.com/a/NgCA6

I found a green one in the jungle when I made a new large world.

LNXFgpu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom