Console One hit killer

1. RoD exists. 2. Why would I want to use it then? That just makes the thing useless.
1. You cant use other items/weapons once you select it. It can only be unselected when you die or a full game day passes. Or maybe it only works if it is the only thing in your entire inventory
2. Then dont use it there. Or just die, respawn and equip a different weapon

You cant use other items/weapons once you select it. It can only be unselected when you die or a full game day passes. Or maybe it only works if it is the only thing in your entire inventory
That makes not want it even more, and also makes the thing even more useless. I would not want to be stuck with an item that gets me killed instantly because I can't swap to another item.

That makes not want it even more, and also makes the thing even more useless. I would not want to be stuck with an item that gets me killed instantly because I can't swap to another item.
Well if you are able to unequip it then people can just unequip and equip it constantly. This is my first time suggesting something o of course there are some flaws

Well if you are able to unequip it then people can just unequip and equip it constantly.
If it's a weapon you can't "unequip and equip" it, because it's a weapon, not an accessory or armor piece. Also, if using the weapon causes the debuff, removing the weapon from your inventory would not make the debuff go away. That's not how debuffs works.
Then dont use it there. Or just die, respawn and equip a different weapon
Dying in Terraria, especially Expert mode, isn't fun. I don't want to die because I couldn't use anything and lose any money I had on me because I couldn't put it in my money trough in time.

It actually is possible to balance this. I'll be using the Hex Wand from Thorium as an example (it's one of the more well thought out heavily gimmicky weapons from that mod), I know I normally don't plug mods like this, but I feel like this one is worthy of an exception:
  • It has an absurdly high mana cost (25) and slow speed.
  • It turn enemies it hits into frogs, which essentially oneshots them but locks you out of all loot from them. (and also makes it so they don't contribute to kill counters in invasions/banners.)
  • It does not work on mini/event bosses (desert spirit, wyvern, etc.) or major bosses. Instead, it just does a flat 6 damage which isn't increased by any buffs, but can crit.
It's obtained a little too easily (it's sold by an NPC) and at the very start of hardmode, but that is very easily remedied.

Last edited:
It actually is possible to balance this. I'll be using the Hex Wand from Thorium as an example (it's one of the more well thought out heavily gimmicky weapons from that mod), I know I normally don't plug mods like this, but I feel like this one is worthy of an exception:
  • It turn enemies it hits into frogs, which essentially oneshots them but locks you out of all loot from them. (and also makes it so they don't contribute to kill counters in invasions/banners.)
  • It does not work on mini/event bosses (desert spirit, wyvern, etc.) or major bosses. Instead, it just does a flat 6 damage which isn't increased by any buffs, but can crit.
It's obtained a little too easily (it's sold by an NPC) and at the very start of hardmode, but that is very easily remedied.
I remember using that, I always thought it was overpowered but I didn't realise you forfeit the loot.

I love this idea. but one problem: RoD exists. can u think of a way to counteract RoD?

The only way I see a one-hit-kill weapon working is under the following restrictions.

1) It only works once. This makes it way less OP then just dying instantly when hit. You couldn't cheese most bosses because of their multiple body parts.

2) You would die instantly when hurt, Like @Sunlord suggested. This debuff on it's own makes every weapon wayyyy to OP. But combined with what I mentioned before, it could be somewhat balanced. It might even be a little too weak.

3) Perhaps it could works where it damages the enemy of however much life you have. Thus dying instantly once you kill with it.

The only way I see a one-hit-kill weapon working is under the following restrictions.

1) It only works once. This makes it way less OP then just dying instantly when hit. You couldn't cheese most bosses because of their multiple body parts.

2) You would die instantly when hurt, Like @Sunlord suggested. This debuff on it's own makes every weapon wayyyy to OP. But combined with what I mentioned before, it could be somewhat balanced. It might even be a little too weak.

3) Perhaps it could works where it damages the enemy of however much life you have. Thus dying instantly once you kill with it.
What about just not working on bosses and locking you out of loot?

Weeeeeeeeelll.... I did give an example of what thorium did. Which was that it doesn't work on bosses or minibosses and makes it so enemies you use it on just don't drop loot.
My bad. I must have dyslexia or something because I did not read that right.

if it did do the same amount of damage as your hp, it would only do one damage since it enflicts the one hit debuff which sets your hp to one. but i do like the idea of it only being used once.

I get this is meant to be a tool for killing enemies and bosses without hassle, but this could be abused for farming for example. Even with the whole "player death" component of the tool that really isnt balanced. Death means almost always nothing in Terraria or at worst a inconvenient but minor setback.

Big game changing mechanics like One hits serve no real gameplay purpose and implementing it to vanilla Terraria would be a change that not everyone would want. Stuff like that should be left to the modding community to serve those desires so vanilla can focus on more important changes.

What im trying to say is, if you like this stuff just go play Modded Terraria.

Back
Top Bottom