One Terraria: An Introduction & Future Impacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old exclusives were added when - frankly - everyone had thought core development had stopped and 505/Engine wanted to add more to endgame.

Then "something about a new update" happened and the rest is history. Along that road, these additions simply made less and less sense as the actual core game filled in all around and beyond these.

They won't be on PC because they don't fit the vision for the core game and never did. So, if we are to embark on this One Terraria journey, this bandaid had to be ripped off sooner or later.

As for Ocram's visuals, I'll just post what I did back on TO when he was first released for old times sake:

IMG_3573.JPG

I get that it sucks to lose stuff you once had, but these didn't really add much to the game and most stood out like a sore thumb vs the core design.

The old exclusives were added when - frankly - everyone had thought core development had stopped and 505/Engine wanted to add more to endgame.

Then "something about a new update" happened and the rest is history. Along that road, these additions simply made less and less sense as the actual core game filled in all around and beyond these.

They won't be on PC because they don't fit the vision for the core game and never did. So, if we are to embark on this One Terraria journey, this bandaid had to be ripped off sooner or later.

As for Ocram's visuals, I'll just post what I did back on TO when he was first released for old times sake:

View attachment 183197

I get that it sucks to lose stuff you once had, but these didn't really add much to the game and most stood out like a sore thumb vs the core design.
:eek: I get to talk with the Loki o.m.g:eek:
[doublepost=1505268046,1505267955][/doublepost]
Rip Ocram! May your Souls of blight rest with you! ( or we could sell them!)
can I get an amen in here
[doublepost=1505268248][/doublepost]Loki I love you like
omg:eek:

As much as I hate reducing content on general principle, I'm fine with most of this stuff going, but I hope it's a two-way street: not just gaining PC 1.3 content, but pre-1.3 PC content that consoles never got (where functionally sensible, of course.) I assume it's a must when equalizing content to make one version of the game (that or axing PC-exclusives, but then I assume there'd be real uproar.)

Having bought this game four times now (PS3, mobile, PC, and PS4) to get access to exclusive content I guess I'm a little annoyed, but if it improves the game as a whole (and maybe someday, somehow, however unlikely, allows for some kind of cross-platform interaction), I support it.

I do kind of hope there's a nod to Ocram added, though, even if it's just an NPC line about him (maybe the Guide saying "Someone shouted 'SAVE OCRAM!' at me... weird since I saw that guy kill him several times." or something, y'know?)

Okay, my big question though, which I haven't been able to find anything on: how will this affect trophies/achievements? I hope PSN trophies involving content being removed (Pet Hoarder, Exterminator, Knight In Shining Armors) will have their criteria altered accordingly (is that possible?) rather than becoming glitched. Furthermore, will the PS3 and PS4 lists split into two separate ones? Will any new trophies/achievements be added to PS4/XB1 relating to 1.3 content? Will existing ones reflect that content (e.g.- having to kill Moon Lord as part of getting Exterminator)?

Sad to see some of the content go, but nice to know that we might be getting cross-platform play! I have a friend who plays on PC while I was on Xbox One and this would be great news to us. I'll definitely hold on to that Ocram Trophy.:happy:

As much as I hate reducing content on general principle, I'm fine with most of this stuff going, but I hope it's a two-way street: not just gaining PC 1.3 content, but pre-1.3 PC content that consoles never got (where functionally sensible, of course.) I assume it's a must when equalizing content to make one version of the game (that or axing PC-exclusives, but then I assume there'd be real uproar.)

Having bought this game four times now (PS3, mobile, PC, and PS4) to get access to exclusive content I guess I'm a little annoyed, but if it improves the game as a whole (and maybe someday, somehow, however unlikely, allows for some kind of cross-platform interaction), I support it.

I do kind of hope there's a nod to Ocram added, though, even if it's just an NPC line about him (maybe the Guide saying "Someone shouted 'SAVE OCRAM!' at me... weird since I saw that guy kill him several times." or something, y'know?)

Okay, my big question though, which I haven't been able to find anything on: how will this affect trophies/achievements? I hope PSN trophies involving content being removed (Pet Hoarder, Exterminator, Knight In Shining Armors) will have their criteria altered accordingly (is that possible?) rather than becoming glitched. Furthermore, will the PS3 and PS4 lists split into two separate ones? Will any new trophies/achievements be added to PS4/XB1 relating to 1.3 content? Will existing ones reflect that content (e.g.- having to kill Moon Lord as part of getting Exterminator)?

A small nod to him would be nice!

Sad to see some of the content go, but nice to know that we might be getting cross-platform play! I have a friend who plays on PC while I was on Xbox One and this would be great news to us. I'll definitely hold on to that Ocram Trophy.:happy:

Just keep in mind that's a dream of theirs not a commitment :)

And that, as previously mentioned in this thread, there are much larger issues making it unlikely (incompatibilities, both technical and corporate, between the networks various consoles operate on, for instance). Still, it could happen for some if not all, and the groundwork will be there for others should the situation ever change. I think. Not an expert. (Still, right there with you in hoping. I bet I can get my Linux-exclusive friend to get the game if he knows we can do multiplayer.)

I'm kinda disappointed with this because Dragon Armor was known to be Meta and really good for high damaging PvP/PvE builds. All my friends who hear about these changes may flip out. Oh well.

I'm kinda disappointed with this because Dragon Armor was known to be Meta and really good for high damaging PvP/PvE builds. All my friends who hear about these changes may flip out. Oh well.
Pretty sure it'll be outclassed in every regard once 1.3 comes out anyway.

Who knows what could happen with the console exclusive content? Maybe Ocram could be reworked into something more like and actual Predator! Turning invisible and all that cool stuff. Oh yeah and not to look like a turd

So since PS3, 360, Vita, 3DS and (more than likely) Wii U won't be receiving 1.3, will they keep the console exclusive stuff? I'm fine with my PS4 game being adapted to PC standards, as long as I can still boot up my Vita or 3DS and fight Ocram with my trusted guinea companion :cool:

OK so I really love the developers at re-logic, but this move is stupid. There is now no reason to play this game on consoles anymore if you have even a barely decent PC, as Terraria is so optimized almost every PC can play. There is now nothing that justifies getting this on consoles or mobile devices, especially on Xbox one and ps4, as it costs more than PC on those devices. The console edition is inferior in many ways, less accuracy being one of many. The exclusive content was what set it apart from PC Terraria. What I think they should do is keep the exclusive content for console, but add some exclusive content to PC. Nothing major, just a couple of armor sets and weapons,and maybe a boss. Just pleasedont take away the exclusive content from consoles. Also before anyone calls me a "console peasant" or anything like that, I do indeed play on pc (even though I haven't been able to recently due to a glitch that won't let the game start up)

View attachment 183162
One Terraria

"One Terraria" - For too long, we have felt that the Terraria community was too "fragmented", driven by some pretty large content differences between the various versions. One of the key goals of the Console & Mobile rewrite is to bridge that gap and bring everyone together into a more unified experience. What does that mean, exactly?
  • Bringing the other versions more in-line with the expectations of the core PC version in regards to gameplay and visuals - only deviating where appropriate or needed.
  • Narrowing - or even potentially eliminating - the "update gap" between PC updates and when these are rolled out to Console (and Mobile).
  • Once that is in place, even exploring more "out there" ideas like crossplay or content sharing that such parity could potentially allow (no promises here - just sharing the thinking! ;) )

So, what does this mean in practical terms? That we have done all that we can to make what you will receive as close as possible to the PC Terraria 1.3 experience. It also means that the teams have a pretty aggressive update plan moving forward with the goal of fully catching Console (and eventually, Mobile) up to PC... and then closely coordinating update development once we are at parity to greatly shrink or even remove the "update gap" altogether. Once we get all of that together, gone should be the days of Console and Mobile players getting content up to a year later - if all goes to plan.

We suspect that will be music to your ears - and it certainly is to ours! We are looking forward to sharing the details of that plan once we get through the Console 1.3 launch window. That said, this plan has other implications, so we encourage you to read up on those below. Taken together, we are confident that this will put Terraria and the community in a much better place a year from now than today - and today is pretty good already. :cool:

index.php

Console Exclusives

Several of you asked along the way what would come of the exclusive content that was originally released for console Terraria at launch in 2013. As we noted in response, the teams were going to take a close look at all of that content and decide what the best path forward would be here. Below, you will find the end results of that review. We fully expect that this will be met with a mixed reaction, so we want to share the "why" and logic behind this decision up front. In the end, we feel this will be a small bit of short term pain for some... with some longer term benefits for everyone.

Most of the current "exclusive" content in Console will be greatly changed or phased out altogether. (Details Below)

Why?
  • When this content was added to the game, things were very different. PC development had ceased for a time, and this was all "endgame" content for everyone to interact with and continue their adventure.
  • Since that time, things have obviously greatly changed for Terraria and the game's development. Quite simply, the game has outgrown the content itself and even the need for there to be exclusives for console.
  • The content itself is obsolete and has never fit with the vision for Terraria. What was endgame gear is now a mix of vanity and mid-game gear that is more of a stopgap/alternate to Chlorophyte that is simply not needed in the game anymore.
  • These tweaks make possible that the remaining content may see its way onto PC, finally yielding a true "One Terraria" experience once the "catch up" effort is completed.

What is changing?
  • Current Console Exclusive armors will remain in game, but will be converted to vanity sets. These will be available via the Traveling Merchant's rotating inventory.
    • Currently-owned sets will still exist, but will automatically be changed to Vanity.
  • Current Console Exclusive weapons will be removed from the game entirely.
    • Currently-owned weapons will be automatically replaced with similar gear at the Chlorophyte tier (i.e. Tonbogiris will be replaced with Chlorophyte Partisans)
    • Sharanga will be replaced with Hellwing Bow and Spectral Arrows/Vulcan Bolts with Hellfire/Chlorophyte arrows, respectively
  • Console-Exclusive mobs will be removed in their entirety.
    • Most of these were reskins/recolors that do not fit into vision and balance of the game. There is a chance that a few of the more interesting will be revisited at a later date.
  • Console Vanity will be removed from the game, with the exception of the Horned God set. This will be added to the Traveling Merchant's inventory.
  • Sparkly Wings will be removed from the game
    • Currently-owned Sparkly Wings will be replaced by Cenx's Wings.
  • Console-exclusive Pets will be removed from the game
    • Currently-owned exclusive pets will be replaced with a gold bunny each. Feel free to sell him for 10g or put it in your very own bunny cage to replace that pet companionship.
    • There is a chance that a few of these will be revisited at a later date and re-added to the game with revamped art and/or AI.

These changes will also apply to the Mobile version of Terraria. **We have not yet discussed the Mobile Exclusive Content. We do, however, understand that the Mobile experience is a different and unique one - so we would ask that no one attempt to draw any premature conclusions on what will happen there based on what our decisions were here. :)

index.php

View attachment 183161
What about Ocram?
You will have noticed that Ocram was missing from our list above. Well, to be honest, we have never felt Ocram was a good fit or a really engaging boss fight. So, we are afraid that Ocram will be leaving us once the Terraria Console 1.3 update arrives.

Ocram Changes

• Ocram and his related mobs and summons will be removed from the game.
  • Ocram Mask and Trophy will remain in the game as "legacy" items. Any that exist at the update will remain, but there will be no further way to obtain them in game once the update arrives.
  • Souls of Blight will be removed from the game
  • Players will receive 5g for each Soul of Blight owned (the current sell price of Souls of Blight)
index.php

Whew, that was a lot to cover! We are sure that you all have tons of questions, and we will seek to answer them as we can. No, we do not have an exact date to give you right this second other than to say a TON of progress has been made and the team is hopeful to have something more concrete to share soon. The Pipeworks team is focused on the last few things before they can submit - squashing the final list of bugs and working on Split Screen Multiplayer performance optimization. Once those are wrapped up, they should be ready to submit. The goal remains to reach submission before the end of Q3, but we will not submit before the game is ready. We will absolutely let you know the instant submission occurs or if a bit more time will be needed.

Thanks for all of your support along this long and winding journey to Console and Mobile 1.3. We know it has required your patience, but we are confident that the end result will be well worth the wait!
Rest in peace, (or pieces, depending on your view) Ocram. You will be greatly missed... just not by me.

My standing on things... I can't really complain. I never really fought Ocram that much anyway. I'd only fight him maybe a few time, really just to get it done. So, I don't have to later. I may be the only one here who's this way, but I've always found him to be really more of a nuisance than anything. It was an easy fight for me. Even in Hallowed armor. The one thing he had going for him was that he took forever just to kill. I never had any other trouble with him.

As for the Dragon Armor... I can't really complain there, either. I abandoned the Dragon Armor for the shelled Beetle Armor. For those of you arguing that "It's the superior armor for melee characters! It has ridiculous melee speed bonuses! Blah Blah yada yada..." This is true. I will give it the melee bonuses. It was the best armor in the game. High defense and high damage. Then, the one thing everyone expected happened. It got nerfed. Massively. In my opinion, Beetle Armor now wins out. Why? It has something that Dragon Armor now lacks: Defense. That's what I design my character around: the ability to take a metric crap-ton of hits and keep right on going. I go for Warding on ALL of my accessories. Defense is really taken for granted for people who think damage is everything. Sure, dishing out a lot of damage at once is fun, but it really means nothing if you can't take it in return. And don't try the "Oh, I'm a good dodger. I won't get hit." Yes, you will. Even the best ninjas have off-days. Eventually, you will get hit, and, when you get snapped in half because you weren't prepared to take a hit like that, you'll come running only for me to say "I told you so."

Well, that's my two cents on things. Keep in mind, these are my opinions. Everyone has their own opinions. I understand this. To each, their own. All I'm saying is that I'm not necessarily displeased by the removal of Ocram.

If the lack of Dragon Armor bonuses affects your melee characters... Good luck to you. That's your problem. Not mine.

Last edited:
OK so I really love the developers at re-logic, but this move is stupid. There is now no reason to play this game on consoles anymore if you have even a barely decent PC, as Terraria is so optimized almost every PC can play. There is now nothing that justifies getting this on consoles or mobile devices, especially on Xbox one and ps4, as it costs more than PC on those devices. The console edition is inferior in many ways, less accuracy being one of many. The exclusive content was what set it apart from PC Terraria. What I think they should do is keep the exclusive content for console, but add some exclusive content to PC. Nothing major, just a couple of armor sets and weapons,and maybe a boss. Just pleasedont take away the exclusive content from consoles. Also before anyone calls me a "console peasant" or anything like that, I do indeed play on pc (even though I haven't been able to recently due to a glitch that won't let the game start up)
That's why their doing this though, they're reworking the game to be equal to the PC version so that it won't need any exclusive content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom