PS4 Online multiplayer not working (Can‘t join a world and can‘t be joined)

GothicIII

Terrarian
Hello,

I‘m very disappointed about Terraria. I told everybody I know to buy this game and was surprised that it got such a huge update last year. (I played last time in May‘17 and sunk maybe 200hrs into it) I told that two friends and we were eagerly to try the game from scratch again.The controls were worse than before and the menu navigation is horrible... etc.

Anyway I hosted a new world and my friend couldn‘t find it under the „join“ menu entry. The whole screen just stays empty for him. Then I found out by sheer coincidence how to invite someone. He received the invite and then I get a huge lag of 5 secs or so and a message that a new player joined my world. And after that he gets an error message: „A network error has occured“ and got back to main menu. No error number or a way to debug this; the game doesn‘t crash its just this nothing for good message.
This same thing happens also for me. I can‘t join his world because of this and vice versa. Tried this with small worlds, new characters. We even deleted all saves and started from scratch. Another thing to mention is that after exiting the world after this happens, the game will stuck at 100% while saving the world. You have to force quit the game.

I‘m a system administrator and I know the stuff about networking pretty good. Upnp is working for my PS4 (I see the opened and forwarded ports) changing the configuration to exposed host did nothing. The ps4 is connected through cable and we both have more than enough bandwidth to play this game (More than 20Mbit upload). This is the only game which makes such troubles.

I tried to find someone else with this problem but I just found this thread on reddit with no real solution.

Can somebody help, please?

Last edited:
You can set the controls to whatever you want. but some possible setting are missing! And I don't' know how anyone could play with that default special setting either!

And there are 3 way someone could join, player list next to the tab icons of equipment, housing and another via the party menu just click the players name that is the host and picks join session this also works for most other games too. or even the host could use the play together option before loading a world, or it kicks the host out too it will invite everyone in the party that way!

I can't help with the multiplayer, not connections I've hosted game and had a friend join several times but most of the time after about 1h46m and
2h06m (at least with 2 game instances ) The game seems to crash a lot especially if you teleport around or in the underworld or near the ocean, underworld after teleporting! I think it that as something to do with way too much liquids now.

And there are 3 way someone could join, player list next to the tab icons of equipment, housing and another via the party menu just click the players name that is the host and picks join session this also works for most other games too. or even the host could use the play together option before loading a world, or it kicks the host out too it will invite everyone in the party that way!

Could explain this in more detail, please. There is no manual where it is explained. I only found the way to invite somebody inside the inventory, player names tab and inside that menu you can send an invitation through psn messages. Of course this wont resolve the joining problem but it would be nice to know.

Hello,

I‘m very disappointed about Terraria. I told everybody I know to buy this game and was surprised that it got such a huge update last year. (I played last time in May‘17 and sunk maybe 200hrs into it) I told that two friends and we were eagerly to try the game from scratch again.The controls were worse than before and the menu navigation is horrible... etc.

Anyway I hosted a new world and my friend couldn‘t find it under the „join“ menu entry. The whole screen just stays empty for him. Then I found out by sheer coincidence how to invite someone. He received the invite and then I get a huge lag of 5 secs or so and a message that a new player joined my world. And after that he gets an error message: „A network error has occured“ and got back to main menu. No error number or a way to debug this; the game doesn‘t crash its just this nothing for good message.
This same thing happens also for me. I can‘t join his world because of this and vice versa. Tried this with small worlds, new characters. We even deleted all saves and started from scratch. Another thing to mention is that after exiting the world after this happens, the game will stuck at 100% while saving the world. You have to force quit the game.

I‘m a system administrator and I know the stuff about networking pretty good. Upnp is working for my PS4 (I see the opened and forwarded ports) changing the configuration to exposed host did nothing. The ps4 is connected through cable and we both have more than enough bandwidth to play this game (More than 20Mbit upload). This is the only game which makes such troubles.

I tried to find someone else with this problem but I just found this thread on reddit with no real solution.

Can somebody help, please?
Hi there @GothicIII, sorry to hear that you’re having trouble connecting with friends. I don’t have answers for all your questions, but I’m going to share the info that I do know, and point you to other places that can possibly help.

How to Invite someone for online multiplayer
  • From in-game, choose Multiplayer -> Host and Play
  • Select and enter one of your worlds
  • Open your inventory
  • Press R1 to enter the Player List
  • Select an empty slot
  • Press L1 to Invite
  • Choose the user and send the invite
A known bug with online multiplayer
A word of caution for PS4 players playing online multiplayer. Right now there is a bug where your world gets overwritten by your friend’s world. Or vice versa.

Please take a moment and make a backup to a usb drive of the characters and worlds that you care about before playing online multiplayer. Additionally, before going into a multiplayer session, open up a new world, then join your friend’s world - that way if your world is overwritten it’ll be a new world that you don’t care about.
There is no “Invite Only” mode
If you are in an online multiplayer game anyone on your friends list as well as anyone in the same PS4 community as you can join into your world. Other players have said that they’d like this option to be put back in the game. There are no promises it will, but Pipeworks is listening to all feedback.

One workaround is to remove yourself from any community, and that way only friends can come into your world.​

Controls can be customized here

(Click to enlarge)
E47F7754-14B2-4D1A-BDF5-66A6F4C995B5.jpeg
Frequently asked questions and known workarounds here
This main post details out some bug fixes that are coming

Network/Connection issue
I am not sure why it’s not letting you guys join in and play together (and I know that’s your most pressing issue, sorry). I would recommend asking 505 Games’ help on that directly through their support. You’ll have to create an account to open a support ticket, but hopefully they can be more help for this technical question. https://support.505games.com/en/support/home

Hi there @GothicIII, sorry to hear that you’re having trouble connecting with friends. I don’t have answers for all your questions, but I’m going to share the info that I do know, and point you to other places that can possibly help.

How to Invite someone for online multiplayer
  • From in-game, choose Multiplayer -> Host and Play
  • Select and enter one of your worlds
  • Open your inventory
  • Press R1 to enter the Player List
  • Select an empty slot
  • Press L1 to Invite
  • Choose the user and send the invite
A known bug with online multiplayer
A word of caution for PS4 players playing online multiplayer. Right now there is a bug where your world gets overwritten by your friend’s world. Or vice versa.

Please take a moment and make a backup to a usb drive of the characters and worlds that you care about before playing online multiplayer. Additionally, before going into a multiplayer session, open up a new world, then join your friend’s world - that way if your world is overwritten it’ll be a new world that you don’t care about.
There is no “Invite Only” mode
If you are in an online multiplayer game anyone on your friends list as well as anyone in the same PS4 community as you can join into your world. Other players have said that they’d like this option to be put back in the game. There are no promises it will, but Pipeworks is listening to all feedback.

One workaround is to remove yourself from any community, and that way only friends can come into your world.​

Controls can be customized here

(Click to enlarge)
View attachment 192108
Frequently asked questions and known workarounds here
This main post details out some bug fixes that are coming

Network/Connection issue
I am not sure why it’s not letting you guys join in and play together (and I know that’s your most pressing issue, sorry). I would recommend asking 505 Games’ help on that directly through their support. You’ll have to create an account to open a support ticket, but hopefully they can be more help for this technical question. https://support.505games.com/en/support/home

Thank you very much for that detailed post. I issued a ticket already yesterday. Im sorry to say this but the game is so broken that it is beyond repair for at least a half year. The bug list is extremely huge and I dont have much hope that the next update will magically solve everything. The dev team failed to port the game correctly and is very overstrained with that task in my opinion.

Me and my friends won‘t play this broken mess. It is very sad. I liked the game as it was.

the game is so broken that it is beyond repair for at least a half year
It isn't broken just has some flaws missing control settings to set more quick actions to. And yes there are glitches and some bad lag every now mainly while is it auto-saving and underworld and, lots of crashes! I've even started a new world and character soon after this patch was released and I've already defeated golem and been in the upgrade dungeon too, started several pirate invasions, and solar eclipses even made terra blade again got another death sickle, and I'm close to 500 health.

So it is still playable just can be annoying at times.

And this game is a lot better then it was.

It isn't broken just has some flaws missing control settings to set more quick actions to. And yes there are glitches and some bad lag every now mainly while is it auto-saving and underworld and, lots of crashes! I've even started a new world and character soon after this patch was released and I've already defeated golem and been in the upgrade dungeon too, started several pirate invasions, and solar eclipses even made terra blade again got another death sickle, and I'm close to 500 health.

So it is still playable just can be annoying at times.

And this game is a lot better then it was.

Yes, I see... not broken at all! ... Seriously even your statement give enough reasons to call the game broken. I played the new version for a half hour. Even I detected bugs which shouldnt have been there amd werent there before. e.g. opening the menu in tutorial will cause the background to disappear and glitch out. My very basic housing has one door on the left and one door on the right side. The right door works like it should. The left door opens only on 1/30th of tries and i can only close it when I break it and place it again (no there is no weird mud block or anything else). I mean Wtf is going on with the game. Why in the world should I play it if there are bugs everywhere?

This is the most broken game I played for a long time and this forum proves it. And I played lots of buggy (before they got mostly patched) and broken games like Gothic3, Sacred 2 or Spellforce 2.
I dont wont to argue. Im just upset about this whole dilemma. This „patch“ shouldnt have been released in that state.

If it was broken I wouldn't have been able to get how far as I've gotten again.

Just sounds like you just built something wrong in that basic house and placed a door wrong or sometime.

Now we got march and nothing is resolved. Is there even a patch coming to address issues? Or is PS4 support dropped already to port the :red:ty code to new devices?

Last edited:
Now we got march and nothing is resolved. Is there even a patch coming to address issues? Or is PS4 support dropped already to port the :red:ty code to new devices?
Pipeworks has been working on the worst bugs and have said that the next update will fix the online multiplayer world overwrite bug as well as many others. Hopefully it's not too far out, but there's no date yet.

Still having issues with the online multiplayer. Sometimes when I first get on, I can go online multiplayer for a bit. Invariably, I get booted. Once that happens, I cannot get back into that world and most of the others for that matter. I know it is not an issue with my internet as every other game works just fine. Has there been a fix I do not know about? Someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Its been 2 years since this post about the multiplayer and still the multiplayer isnt working ive tried everything i could to play with my friend but everytime its the same it just says network error and at the bottom left it just says ??? Has left please fix your game i just want to play it with my friend

Its been 2 years since this post about the multiplayer and still the multiplayer isnt working ive tried everything i could to play with my friend but everytime its the same it just says network error and at the bottom left it just says ??? Has left please fix your game i just want to play it with my friend
Hi there @VaPxR_MiRa, I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles with multiplayer. The issue you face, with the "??? has left", is probably a different issue than the issue present when this thread was created. I know that doesn't help fix your multiplayer problem, but it's not the same issue overlooked for two years.

For your "??? has left" error, from the information I've gathered (with help from the keen eye of member r4v1n6), this error seems to occur to players that may be playing in a region outside of North America or using a language besides English. If this applies to you, I recommend sending in all the info you have about your multiplayer experience straight to 505 Games (the publisher of the console version) here: Terraria (Console) (make a support ticket)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom