Biomes & Nature Otherworld Ideas

I think that something which would have made a truly entertaining Terraria sequel would be one themed around the Ocean, which on earth is vast and has a wide range of biomes to work with.

Additionally I would like a harder game where you can't just break into nearly every rock face at the beginning. Not an impossible game, but still.

Suffocation comes in many different flavors.
  • Drowning - Obviously, staying underwater for too long would cause this to happen.
  • Decompression - Going too far into space without appropriate equipment causes this to happen.
  • Smothering - Getting crushed by sand or other such blocks.
  • Compression - The opposite of decompression, this occurs when someone is at a lower depth than what their breathing capabilities are rated for.
New early game.
  • The first tool available to the player isn't a pickaxe, but a shovel. The default shovel mines only one tile and it cannot mine rock, but it's relatively faster than early game pickaxes which make it useful for a lot of the story.
  • The early game pickaxes and related equipment made with only one type of metal mines extremely slowly and is only useful for digging up ore and low-level rocks. Lead functions better than all other early metals but is useless for everything else, and alloys with few materials, making the choice of using lead come with a later cost. Lead is still useful in bullets and some of the blackest of magic...
  • Rope must be made, and can't be made using vines hanging off blocks.
    • This requirement is lifted as soon as the player defeats three different bosses, in which the merchant starts selling them.
  • Petroleum is a new liquid/resource which can be refined into many different products, but use of it worsens several environmental factors including but not limited to...
    • Corruption/Crimson rate of spread (there's a reason it likes eating the jungle so much...)
    • Frequency and severity of unwanted events, bosses, and natural disasters
    • Boss difficulty
  • Agriculture (cutting down trees, farming herbs, algae and other stuff) manufacturing (crafting) and use of explosives also contributes to the above issues.
  • Carbon sequestration through the growth of plants can push that factor in the opposite direction.
New midgame.
  • Four classes as before.
  • Elemental types and type advantage.
  • Minibosses which give better rewards when multiple (unique) minibosses are fought.
  • Alloys for equipment to provide different properties.
  • A much slower path underground that requires more bosses to be fought for each level.
Many biomes
  • Space - At this level without equipment or abilities (the latter being on NPCs of course) creatures will suffocate.
    • Floating Lands
    • Summit
      • Almost invariably covered in ice, summits are the highest envirogenic biomes in Aquaria. They are sparse, but sometimes host legendary creatures and horrors beyond imagination.
    • Ancient Spire
      • At the top of every Ancient Tower there lies an Ancient Spire. The rewards for braving this dangerous biome are sparse and often beyond reach in more ways than one.
  • Highlands - At this level players experience altitude sickness, which prevents regeneration and forces them to rely on external healing. Still, some NPCs want to live here...
    • Alpine Glacier
      • Loosely packed snow tends to accumulate in this biome, which can result in an avalanche if the player becomes careless... Generation is similar but different than thorny bushes.
    • Mountain
    • Volcano
    • Plateau
      • Often found on the top of cliff faces. Few hostile creatures are found in this area.
    • Ancient Tower
      • Ancient ruins once in a while have an Ancient Tower which extends towards the skies.
    • Canopy
      • Climbing the living trees that often spawn on the Surface Jungle, Swamp, or Forest and reaching the leaves brings players here. Raptors and venomous snakes populate this area.
  • Surface
    • Open Ocean
      • The meat and potatoes of this potential sequel, the open ocean comes with its own set of hazards, but the truly valuable stuff lies beneath...
    • Mudflat
      • A coastline covered in mud. Shellfish can be dug up here.
    • Seagrass Meadow
      • Populated with seagrass and filled with dirt blocks.
    • Kelp Forest
      • Grows kelp. Certain fish can be found here, as well as lobster. Found near the coastline.
    • Island
      • A small landmass which is too tiny to hold any other biome. Sometimes it's corrupted or otherwise.
    • Iceberg
      • An alternative to the island in the colder parts of Aquaria's archipelagoes.
    • Floating Structure
    • Ancient Ruins
      • Built by parties unknown, entering these ruins leaves one liable to its cursed influence which is difficult to shake off. Cannot be corrupted, but that doesn't count for much.
    • Beach
      • This biome contains all of the stuff from Terraria's ocean biome due to this place being expanded.
    • Swamp
      • These wetlands sometimes appear instead of beaches, especially in warmer and temperate climates.
    • Ice Floe
      • This appears close to an island containing an icefield, and is connected over a long and thin sheet of ice.
    • Fjord
      • Coastline containing hard rock formations and a gravel sea bed. Occurs on the colder side of the map.
    • Icefield
      • The snow biome from the base game. It lies on the opposite end to jungles and deserts, and has its own respective bosses.
    • Jungle
    • Forest
    • Desert
      • A landmass that is large enough to contain five biomes would usually have either a desert or mountain in the center.
    • Plains
      • Exists only on the mainland (the edge of the map) and is characterized by few structures that reach the highlands, let alone space.
      • Extremely hostile to trees, several types of megafauna can be found here. Some days, the grass becomes dry and burns easily, causing a wildfire event which spreads to adjacent biomes.
    • Corruption
    • Crimson
    • Hallow
    • Meteorite
  • Underground
    • Mountain Rock
      • At the core of mountains lie a type of rock that is extremely difficult to mine out. Mountain rock also tends to generate in empty space underneath other mountain rocks.
      • Mountain rock can be re-created using its appropriate metamorphic rock at a graveyard.
      • Mountain rock "corrupts" metamorphic rock below it, turning it into mountain rock and therefore into rock which would collapse tunnels built underneath them.
      • Mountain rock doesn't affect rocks beside or above it.
    • Lava Vein
      • Inside volcanoes there are lava veins which can turn out to be a nasty surprise to anyone incompetent enough to dig straight into them.
    • Soil
      • Both a blessing and a curse. Soil is useless in building anything more complicated than farms or mud huts, but it's easy to dig through.
    • Sedimentary Rock
      • Also extremely easy to dig through, sedimentary rocks like limestone and etc also have the benefit of not generating more rock underneath which can get in the way of important things like minecarts and mob farming.
    • Metamorphic Rock
      • Distinct from mountain rock, metamorphic rock has the same benefits of sedimentary rock being easy to build with while also the same penalties as mountain rock being hard to break.
      • Distinct from corrupt/crimson/hallow rocks despite those blocks being technically examples of metamorphic rock.
    • Igneous Rock
      • Generated on volcanoes up to a certain limit and can be farmed from enemies found there. Some types are useful for fertilizer while others are rich in useful metals.
    • Permafrost
      • Underground Snow biome
    • Corruption
    • Crimson
    • Hallow
    • Coral Reef
      • Rich in coral, sponges, shellfish and starfish. Also rich in predators.
  • Caverns - Travel down here is extremely difficult without proper equipment. All these biomes can be found in the depths and in the underground layer.
    • Granite Caves
    • Marble Caves
    • Permafrost; Metamorphic, Sedimentary, and Mountain Rock
    • Abandoned Mine
    • Magma Vein
    • Ore Deposit
      • A godsend to brave early game players, these deposits are usually massive and host a variety of different ores to collect.
    • Sea Floor
      • Containing many forms of unique specimens and rich in easily extracted mineral deposits.
  • Depths - Remaining down here for extended periods of time is physically taxing. Housing is difficult to build, and while not directly as dangerous, the monsters within can easily take lives.
    • Marine Trench
      • An extremely deep part of the sea which is host to extremely hostile creatures. Fish gathered here dies when brought above the cavern layer.
    • Highway to Hell
      • The ground is sloped, but relatively flat, and mostly consists of a special asphalt block that when broken releases petroleum. Also contains regular petroleum deposits.
      • Contains lots of petroleum, which is non-renewable pre-Hardmode and is an important, but dangerous, resource to use. Certain algae can be used later for the same purpose...
    • River Styx
      • Only found in temperate zones.
      • Bridges a connection between deep sea biomes and the underworld.
      • One of the few places close to the underworld to contain water and has extremely fragile statues which prevent the evaporation of water.
      • Due to the above fact, equipment used to reach this part of the depths must have some form of refrigeration technology...
  • Underworld - Where adventurers go to die...
    • City of the Damned
      • This is where certain NPCs can be found. Some magical objects are also found here which can make livable areas in treacherous biomes, even in space.
      • This is also where demons commonly show up.
    • Dark Capital
      • A city of the damned that holds particularly important structures that can summon bosses. Appears in temperate to hot climates.
    • Lava Lake
    • Ice Prison
      • Populated by statues which are equally as fragile as that of the River Styx, which prevents water evaporation and causes magma to solidify.
      • It is only present in extremely cold areas, and appears rarely.
      • Sometimes connected to a trench.
      • Has a more "jail"-like aesthetic with creatures encased in ice.
      • Alternates between pools of petroleum and pools of water.
      • Underworld monsters are themed around ice and deep sea monsters that exist only in legend... and some phases of the moon after a certain boss is defeated.
Different kinds of rock would also be interesting to work with as well.

I love these ideas of biomes. Maybe if they don't get added in vanilla someone makes a mod of them, or possibly they become real in Terraria 2. Because Red said that he wants to add more biomes to Terraria 2.

Wow, that's a lotta stuff. The only problem I ask is in early pre-hardmode. How are you supposed to get stone and ores with a shovel?
We are gonna need a big world for all this.
Carbon emissions seem too complex for Terraria. I agree on the new mini-biomes though, it would add more variety to the world.
I do disagree on Compression. Because this severely restricts the players activity.

Wow, that's a lotta stuff. The only problem I ask is in early pre-hardmode. How are you supposed to get stone and ores with a shovel?
We are gonna need a big world for all this.
Carbon emissions seem too complex for Terraria. I agree on the new mini-biomes though, it would add more variety to the world.
I do disagree on Compression. Because this severely restricts the players activity.
Hm... I did more research and realized that metal for pickaxes are too difficult to mine without the use of the tool itself. Originally pickaxes were made of deer antlers. Perhaps having a mechanic where megafauna spawn on land-based biomes would make players gravitate to that biome in the really early game, and have a weak pickaxe power that can only handle low-level malleable ores such as gold, silver, copper, tin, and lead. After that, players should be able to craft tools out of bronze or lead to mine things like tungsten and iron, which is plentiful and useful, therefore allowing the creation of steel. Early-game steel pickaxes could tackle most rock types except for the stuff mountains are made of and for the rocks present in the depths, which require explosives to break through just like how explosives are required to break crimstone and ebonstone. Then players gain access to the evil biome's pickaxe which is required to mine hellstone, and progression can then follow a similar pattern to how base terraria works.

And regarding compression I think having depth-related mechanics to make progressing a lot slower would make the underground a lot more variable and make exploration a much more in depth part of the game. As soon as hardmode starts up players are running against a time limit and anything found in hardmode is coming exclusively from enemies and makes having large worlds only that useful in the early game. Hardmode gameplay pretty much lacks exploration except for the dungeons unless players are willing to break altars to get hardmode ore. Hardmode ore can be fished for. Following an exploration-oriented path to hardmode is heavily discouraged because of how breaking altars can create corruption/crimson patches which can spiral out of control and wreak havoc on important endgame events such as Plantera bulbs, especially in large worlds where looking for the patch of corruption/crimson is an extremely tedious chore.

The goal behind the things I'm bringing up is a game where exploration is the biggest and most important part for a significant amount of time while also retaining the RPG elements to Terraria which make it unique and entertaining. Locking progress behind beating certain bosses or otherwise is one of the main design features of the game, and hardmode is where exploration can be completely ignored if the player does certain preparations ahead of time. The solution that I'm trying to bring in is delaying hardmode even further and make the early game require a lot more strategy to turn out successful.

PS: Boats would be interesting, since players might end up spawning on an island with not much to do.

Back
Top Bottom