• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

Otherworld Waiting Thread #4052

Closterdad

Official Terrarian
One day (today, five minutes ago) while playing some Skyrim (damn you Todd) i remembered that Terraria Otherworld was a thing that is in development, and I decided to check the twitter to see if anything was said.

Nothing. Okay, fair. It's being remade from scratch. Guess i'll check out the forums.

They're going to have to re-hype it when it's ready to come out. That said, it's pretty easy to advertise a game that is essentially "Terraria 2" given how successful and loved Terraria is. So I suppose they can take all the time they want.

In the meanwhile, let's talk hypothetical. What if it has spaceships?

FlyKip

Plantera
Spaceships would be cool, but from what ive seen it looks like its leaning more towards fantasy. I hope they continue on that path tho.

landstalker

Terrarian
Any supposition is fun, but there is a clue in the title; Terraria: other WORLD.
Singular.
Yes the premise could be that you must leave Terraria and find ANOTHER world, but that would suggest there would be more than one to choose from, so suddenly it's plural.
I think the development team have enough problems on their plate at the moment.
They have the Frankenstein's monster that was the original "product" that they must deal with in some way or another, deciding what parts to salvage and what to throw in the chum bucket.
Then they have the original title that they must hold up as the standard to attain, along with an army of devoted fans who will almost certainly rise up like angry villagers with torches and pitchforks, should they be so bold as to change the format, the style or the gameplay in any way that may be considered sacrilegious.
The old maxim "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" holds very true in game development.
So it could be a fair assumption that one of the easiest paths would be to include those elements that make the fans feel comfortable and maintain a fantasy theme throughout.

A simple magical portal, which fits neatly in the existing framework, can take the game to the titular OTHER world.
Here, the player must do all of the things they are well-versed in doing from the original with the extra addition of whatever new game mechanics Pipeworks have brought to the table.

The fans don't want to have to learn an entirely new set of game mechanics, regardless of the environments and genre, so the frameworks will almost certainly be entirely based around the rules to date.
Do the players want to be building spaceships as well as houses/castles/call them what you want?
With the inclusion of spaceships, would the title not be dancing perilously close to Starbound?

Both Re-Logic and Pipeworks want the players to be able to hit the ground running in T:OW with as small a learning curve for new mechanics as possible.

I could quite easily be totally wrong and they may go down a sci-fi route, but the risk of alienating (no pun) the fan-base is exceptionally high with that particular choice.
Who knows?
The fun part is guessing and waiting to see what arrives.
More entertaining than endlessly complaining about the length of development or lack of updates.

Last edited:

PikaXFreak

Plantera
Any supposition is fun, but there is a clue in the title; Terraria: other WORLD.
Singular.
Yes the premise could be that you must leave Terraria and find ANOTHER world, but that would suggest there would be more than one to choose from, so suddenly it's plural.
I think it would be amazing if at the beginning of making a new "world," you would have the option to choose between a number (5 or so) of different "Other Worlds" (roll credits Kappa) and once you chose one, you're stuck with it. If you want a different environment to play around in, make a new character and a new world.

The reason I say make a new CHARACTER, which is something you didn't have to do in regular Terraria, is because I was thinking that each individual world could basically be its own game. Each world would have unique enemies and bosses, each of which dropping gear unique to that enemy in that specific world, much like how the Crimson and Corruption work, except on a MUCH larger scale. It would give players a reason to play through the game again, only this time with new enemies and items to fight and collect (respectively.)

Or maybe instead of having you make a completely new character from scratch, it could pull a Metroid and just have you leave all of your stuff from one world on said world, before you can go to a new one. Maybe once you've been to enough worlds there would be an item or an enchantment of some kind that would allow you to bring items from one world to the next, like an inter-dimensional Piggy Bank.

landstalker

Terrarian
I think it would be amazing if at the beginning of making a new "world," you would have the option to choose between a number (5 or so) of different "Other Worlds" (roll credits Kappa) and once you chose one, you're stuck with it. If you want a different environment to play around in, make a new character and a new world.

The reason I say make a new CHARACTER, which is something you didn't have to do in regular Terraria, is because I was thinking that each individual world could basically be its own game. Each world would have unique enemies and bosses, each of which dropping gear unique to that enemy in that specific world, much like how the Crimson and Corruption work, except on a MUCH larger scale. It would give players a reason to play through the game again, only this time with new enemies and items to fight and collect (respectively.)

Or maybe instead of having you make a completely new character from scratch, it could pull a Metroid and just have you leave all of your stuff from one world on said world, before you can go to a new one. Maybe once you've been to enough worlds there would be an item or an enchantment of some kind that would allow you to bring items from one world to the next, like an inter-dimensional Piggy Bank.
Having multiple worlds with world-specific items, characters and creatures is a LOT of work.
The simplest and cheesiest way is to simply re-skin each world with different graphics over the core code, but then it is simply a case of the same game with a different graphical style which is not much of a bonus for the player. Unless that player is one who lives to collect everything regardless of sword B from world 2 doing exactly the same as sword C from world 4.
"Gotta catch em all"
But having items, characters and enemies acting differently and bringing different gameplay aspects for specific worlds, introduces a greater level of complexity and people are already complaining about the development time as it is.
Do you really want to make things even more complicated? ;)
Whatever Pipeworks and Re-Logic decide it will certainly be worth the wait.

Top Bottom