Terraria: Otherworld Otherworldly Sights & Sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps it should be an option to toggle like pvp or an alternate game mode at the main menu to make it an rpg style... or maybe a sandbox creative mode that doesn't spawn monsters, etc. just throwing the random thought out there. Seems like it would stop the "love it or hate it" issues.

I think you underestimate how much effort it would take to design and balance the entire game TWICE to allow for this option. Sometimes people just have to accept a game for how it is, rather than have an option to remove a huge part of it.

I don't really understand what they are trying to achieve with Otherworld...

Can someone please explain?

Is it a re-skin of Terraria?
Is it different from Terraria somehow?
Or is it meant to be Terraria with a story?

Thanks.

Yes thank you :)

I look forward to this game now. :D

Leinfors, I do understand that, and would think that the first games mechanics should be easier to fit in as a sub set to all the new stuff, but I know it doesn't always go that smoothly, and like where OtherWorlds seems to be going. I love the idea of balance, but we live in a world where people will break OtherWorlds as fast as they can, I am just trying to think ahead a little bit and make everybody happy with it so they take longer to get around to breaking it. I'm all good with the idea of a Otherworlds and a Terraria 2. Like i said, it was a random thought. Maybe make Terrraria 2 and Otherworlds players and worlds able to import to eachother (eh hem, shortcuts anyone...)?

I'm not particularly fond of overpowering music in a game like this where you build your own creations. I almost feel as though my creations and designs would be impacted and shaped a bit too much by the music in some of these biomes. Nonetheless the music is pleasant in its own regard, and the arctic one is my favourite. I think I'll be having it playing quietly though as it's rather loud in this video.

Also, the first time I watched this I was far more concerned about the speed of the sun and moon. It doesn't appear as though the game has been 'sped up' and I would like to think that there will still be clear day and night cycles that actually have meaning, rather than a fast cycle that serves a minor aesthetic purpose.

Also, the first time I watched this I was far more concerned about the speed of the sun and moon. It doesn't appear as though the game has been 'sped up' and I would like to think that there will still be clear day and night cycles that actually have meaning, rather than a fast cycle that serves a minor aesthetic purpose.

Its as simple as can be to increase the day/night speed temporarily in a game like this. All the other videos we've seen have shown no indication at all that time will pass at that rapid rate. I suspect its very little to be worried about. Remember: pre-alpha. :)

Its as simple as can be to increase the day/night speed temporarily in a game like this. All the other videos we've seen have shown no indication at all that time will pass at that rapid rate. I suspect its very little to be worried about. Remember: pre-alpha. :)
But that there brings up an interesting idea... Control over the speed of time?

Just because there is a story and RPG/tower defense elements - that doesn't mean you aren't free to take a break from that and spend hours building whatever your heart desires....or exploring caves....or whatever. We are trying to let be player approach the story at their pace and in their way as much as possible.

(We tried to make that clear in the Q&A and GDC trailer thread - apologies if we failed in that mission. ;) )

I like how Corruption theme mantains the old sounding and it's right place for bass guitar.
But i felt no special touch like it was with Overworld Day theme, nothing to remember.. Crystal theme was felt out of place, better to check it during playing.
Aside from all of this - shown pieces are good. Too bad there is no music by Jonathan van den Wijngaarden other than Space theme.

I visited Jeff Broadbent's website. He wrote music for some so called "Triple A" projects. Most of soundtracks have same style.

Its like some sort of Tool

I don't get it at all.. It's like with comments on Last.fm: "Ohh.. i hear some Tool! And there is some Opeth. Obviously Pink Floyd influence!" Yeah... right =) Elephant took a walk over my ears someday i guess.

i'll be honest, i am getting more and more displeased with Otherworld, dear devs... its just that some things don't really seem to fit together. for instance, it just looks weird to have realystic trees sitting in minecrafty-style blocks. it is just weird.

and the music is good, but way outside the terraria chiptune style.

don't take this the hard way, it is just constructive criticism.

The music is good but I'll be turning it off for the ambient sounds, as I do for every game.

Not sure how the game will play but I dig the art, Hellbender alone will be worth the entry price :)

I don't get it at all.. It's like with comments on Last.fm: "Ohh.. i hear some Tool! And there is some Opeth. Obviously Pink Floyd influence!" Yeah... right =) Elephant took a walk over my ears someday i guess.

The grumbling bass guitar at the end of the Corruption segment (0:24-0:31 in the video) sounds to me VERY much reminiscent of the band Tool. I wish I knew the band better to give examples, but I'm not actually a follower of theirs, and have only heard their music in passing.

i'll be honest, i am getting more and more displeased with Otherworld, dear devs... its just that some things don't really seem to fit together. for instance, it just looks weird to have realystic trees sitting in minecrafty-style blocks. it is just weird.

and the music is good, but way outside the terraria chiptune style.

don't take this the hard way, it is just constructive criticism.

I think T:OW exists in many ways TO experiment outside of the "Terraria style" so to speak, which so many people worry about. Yes, this soundtrack is certainly hugely distinct from Terraria . . . and this may be deliberate. Scott Lloyd Shelly has managed to maintain a "style" of Terraria across 4 years of creating music; I'm sure it would be a simple task to hire him to work on more projects. Rather, this strikes me as a deliberate decision to "try something new" with Terraria: Otherworld.

As for the graphics . . . that may just be the nature of the game in a higher-res side-scrolling sandbox game. :)

Last edited:
With the Space biome, shouldn't the sky not be blue with the sun in the sky?
If it's space, there isn't an atmosphere to make the sky blue %:sigh:

They all sound insanely good ! My god, I really love the arctic one, good job !
May this game be as good as Terraria (Or even better)

PS: What the fudge is a gold plated Tomahawk ?! xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom