tModLoader Overdone: Mythology

Regenschijn

Terrarian
Hi fellow humans!
Updates at the end of this post!

OVERDONE: Mythology

YggdrasilSmall.png
What is this mod about?
Overdone means it will be over the top (but not neccesarily overpowered).
Mythology means the content will be from myths! Yeah, you'll get your classics, the Greek, Roman and Norse items. However, you will also get Polynesian, Inuit, Iberian, Irish, Mesopotamian and many more content!
  • EVERY weapon will have a double or more functionality (usually left and right mouse button - from now on LMB and RMB).
  • A combo system, which can be a resource to consume like mana (e.g. spend 20 combo to fire a 360 degrees explosion of leaves), and also can be modifier (e.g. for every 25 combo, get 1% crit chance).
  • Encourage multi-class use of weaponry, without forcing you to actually do so.
  • Original crafting system: At an (universal) altar, spend affinity to get mythological items. The affinity spend determines what item is received, and is either based on the mythology (Celtic, Greek, etc) or the domain (god of: war, agriculture, hunt, the moon, etc)

YggdrasilMedium.png
What is this mod not about?

• It will not add new classes. There are already enough awesome mods which do that.​
  • It will not add new biomes. For above reason, and the current biomes work mighty fine with the current domains.​
  • Philosophy. That content will be added in the spin-off.​
  • It will not add new ores in the world, or spawn a lot of crafting items. Inventory management is already a pain, even with the right mods. We'll only add affinity as an extra drop.​

YggdrasilLarge.png
What is this mod maybe about?

• Maybe there will be bosses - maybe there will be mini-bosses, as the gods decide to walk the mortal plane once more. I have no idea yet.
  • Maybe farming will be a thing. You know, planting your crops and harvesting on a bigger scale. However, if this is pursued, it might be better to make it stand-alone (if people only want the farming part, or for other mod integration)

PoseidonsKiss.png
Ambition

• Let's - for once - make a mod that is compatible with other mods! Although not a priority yet, I imagine some healing items can hook into thorium's healer class.
  • On that note: the mod is built to be as less intrusive as possible, thus making it very compatible with your preferred setup
  • On a basic level, the combo system could hook into vanilla and other mod items.
  • The same goes for the right mouse button mechanic. An accesory could give any weapon without a RMB a themed function (for example: Zeus' Favor adds a lightning strike on RMB for items without a RMB function)
  • Future:
    • Optional active integration with other mods. Not just Calamity and Thorium, but preferably some smaller mods which are just as awesome but overshadowed and underappriciated.
    • Overdone: Mythology is the first mod. Overdone: Philosophy will be a smaller spin-off mod. This will be developed at the same time, but is not a priority.
    • Who knows what the future might bring?

WasSeptreOfSet.png
Q&A:

• What motivated me to make this mod?:
    • Effective gameplay usually forces the player to actively use 1 or 2 weapons at most. Mods that actively encourage multi weapon use (like Thorium: Bard) end up either frustrated or using 1 or 2 weapons anyways. This mod changes this dymanic. Using 2 weapons gives you at least 4 ways of attacking your enemy already.
  • What is the added value of this mod?:
    • See the answer above. Besides that, a few new mechanics are added. The theme of mythology is not new (it's even a bit in the vanilla game), however a lot of content with a lot of potential is left untouched.
  • Who is working on this?
    • Hunited wanted to join but life said no. This is a solo project now.
  • I still don't know anything concrete about this mod. Can you show me some stuff?
    • Your request is fair, but since I do everything myself, I can't be bothered yet to make nice gifs, etc.
  • What do you have currently then?:
    • The combo and LMB/RMB mechanics, some buffs and accesoires, and less than 100 weapons for now.
  • Can I help?:
    • Let's wait until the first release/preview. If help is needed, it would be in the line of animations/sprites.
  • Another new mod which has sky-high ambitions, but what will come of it?
    • I understand your skepticism; it happens quite often after all - the countless awesome mods... just abandoned. We will try to post updates often, but till then - just wait and see ;) (this is going on for more than a year now - we're good; goooood!)
  • What about Tmodloader for 1.4?:
    • We'll be ready :D (update: we ARE ready)

Fragarach.png
Updates:

• 09-05-23: If I wanted more attention to this mod, I should just bump this post by throwing an update as a reply. But no. Anyways, still working on it but didn't do anything cool. Bugfixes, trying out 'new' features like channeling and more. Oh, some neat Egyptian-themed stuff! I'm rambling here on my own anyways, so time to write out some thoughts. It's difficult to decide what exactly is a new mythology culture. For example, there is some Olmec stuff overlapping with Maya stuff, Phoenician stuff overlaps with Cartaganian and Egyptian stuff, Norse mythology has major overlap with Germanic mythology (They have the same Freya, Odin is just a copy of Wodan(az), etc.
    Almost forgot to show stuff. This is a thing made recently ->
    1683651757056.png
  • 16-01-23: Still working on it! progress is slow. Sometimes it's difficult to know that at this point, I'm the only one who cares. I'm to blame though, I should make arrangements to release a proper beta.
    There is a bow from finnish mythology, 3 items from Iberian mythology, a celtic fire whip, and so much more. A historically accurate Mjolnir (Thor's hammer) is quite ugly. I'm unsure if I should go for historically accurate or just a fancy hammer in this case.:confused:
    Wolf spirit projectiles. Shot by Fenrir's claws. Blue gives frostburn, green poisons and red heals.
    SpiritBlastWolfBlue.png
    SpiritBlastWolfGreenYellow.png
    SpiritBlastWolfRed.png
  • 26-06-22: Guess which mod is now converted to terraria 1.4.*? This one!
    • Screenshot 2022-06-26 145536.png
  • 13-05-22: Almost a year has passed since the original announcement; modding alone is harder than I thought. I've been playing my own mod now, with quite some success. Stuff that's going on:
    • I'm looking into a nice way of displaying combo - I currently dump it in the chat/messages, but thats just temporary.
    • I've started on chariots. I discovered there are a lot of those in mythology. Flying chariots, chariots pulled by 8-legged horses, 4 foxes, etc. I want them to enhance combat.
    • All stuff is still craftable with dirt. Implementing some cool crafting way has no priority in my mind (apparently)
    • There's a lot of fun to be had with the combo system. I've added a mesopotamian wind weapon that gains an improved projectile at a certain combo count, but the RMB option is a useful attack that costs combo. It gives a great dynamic in playstyle.
    • I'm divided over how to do mod integration. I can also fake the integration, and make an addon mod (and thus optional).
    • 1652446185606.png

1652446591236.png
      1652446626545.png
      1652446644274.png

• 24-09-21: Hunited will not be working on the mod anymore. It's a solo project now. Development is slow but steady.
    Things of interest:
    • Combo system works nice.
    • Items have their specialty and can be buffed accordingly.
    • Given the amount of stuff I have to find out myself, I want to make some sort of documentation of my own findings (for other modders).
    • On that note, I might automatically generate a wiki, so all info will always be up to date.
    • It might not be impossible that end of october will see either a first version or a elaborate preview.
    • WhatsApp Image 2021-05-25 at 19.06.44.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-25 at 19.11.42.jpeg

I Someday I will make an effort to showcase the stuff better.

Attachments

• 1652446145373.png
    1652446145373.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 1683651752282.png
    1683651752282.png
    284 bytes · Views: 39
Last edited:
This sounds great! Cant wait to see what kind of stuff comes out for Egyptian mythology. It’d be cool if you had altars you could craft for each mythology and domain (Like I could have a Mesopotamian altar or an agriculture altar) and interacting with it would increase the chance of getting affinity of that type.

This sounds great! Cant wait to see what kind of stuff comes out for Egyptian mythology. It’d be cool if you had altars you could craft for each mythology and domain (Like I could have a Mesopotamian altar or an agriculture altar) and interacting with it would increase the chance of getting affinity of that type.
That's not a bad idea! Maybe I'll come up with a hybrid version, where you have a default altar that you can modify to be some type - dynamically.

Yeah at first I was also thinking "oh just another one", but giving it a read, your Ambition and F&Q sections prove your not as clueless as most who have walked this path before as you are aware of the challenges. I especially like the statement to shed Calamity aside for Underdog mods; I almost never see anyone say things like that.
Because of this I think you might get somewhere in the current difficult environment with the right ideas, and have my support

Back
Top Bottom