Overflow Logic Gate

TheEcho

Terrarian
So, I've been thinking about a logic gate that's particularly complicated, and I need help figuring this out.
Using two tanks of water as an example, here's the problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tank A is 5x100 blocks big, and tank B is 5x25 blocks big.
Tank A is being used to power another contraption, but tank B is also capable of providing an output.

A stream of water is filling up tank A, but I want the stream to start filling up B once A is full.

Once B is 10 blocks full, A will stop being filled.
At the same time, A stops outputting water and B starts outputting water.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The thing is, I want this to apply to MORE than just water tanks, because water has the convenience of being a physical and tangible substance.

Why? I'm a highschoool student taking a college course, and I'm working on a project that requires this type of logic circuit.

So please, help me out.
UPDATE:
Using simulator.io I have actually developed a logic circuit that mostly does this, but I still need critique.
https://simulator.io/board/Xz6yHnF5Jj

Battery Circuit.png
Battery Circuit Key.png

Last edited:
Doesn't seem too complicated. However, could you clarify some of your points:
Tank A is being used to power another contraption
So, tank A is outputting water?

A stream of water is filling up tank A, but I want the stream to start filling up B once A is full.
Should the stream of water, which is filling up A, switch to filling up B? Or should another stream of water fill up B?
Also, what happens if A is not full anymore? Does the stream switch back to filling up A?

Once B is 10 blocks full, A will stop being filled.
At the same time, A stops outputting water and B starts outputting water.
And, what happens when B is empty?

• Tank A is outputting water
  • There is only 1 stream of water. No more, no less.
  • The steam may be redirected or split up, but there is only 1 source
  • Once A isn't full, the stream will dedicate itself to filling up A and ignore B
  • If B is empty, then it'll be filled up so long as A is full.

The basic logic is:
If A = 100%, then fill B.
If B > or = 10, then stop filling A.
If B > or = 10, then stop A output.
If B > or = 10, then start B output.
If B < 10, then start A output and stop B output.
[doublepost=1510603475,1510599532][/doublepost]POST UPDATED

It would help if you drew a picture or something of the setup you are looking for. But it shouldn't be too hard to wire up a water sensor to switch the water to tank B after tank A is full.

If B is empty, then it'll be filled up so long as A is full.

So then should tank A (or B if it's full) start filling again once B is bellow 10? Your "basic logic" doesn't say that, but that doesn't really line up with the line I quoted above.
I can't open that thing you linked. I registered, but now it comes up with "Message: No permissions (302)".

But it shouldn't be too hard to wire up a water sensor to switch the water to tank B after tank A is full.
Ok, I didn't make this clear, but NO WATER SENSORS!

I don't want the circuit to be exclusive to water.

So then should tank A (or B if it's full) start filling again once B is bellow 10? Your "basic logic" doesn't say that, but that doesn't really line up with the line I quoted above.
I can't open that thing you linked. I registered, but now it comes up with "Message: No permissions (302)".

Tank B will keep filling so long as A is full.
Tank A will stop filling when B reaches 10.
Tank A will start filling again if B is below 10.
[doublepost=1510772035,1510771952][/doublepost]
That I can't fix. Though I added pictures.

I'll see what I can do though
[doublepost=1510772162][/doublepost]https://simulator.io/board/Xz6yHnF5Jj

That link SHOULD work

I'm still getting the same thing. Never mind though, I can make do with the pictures.

Tank A will start filling again if B is below 10.
Ok, that clears things up.

Ok, I didn't make this clear, but NO WATER SENSORS!

I don't want the circuit to be exclusive to water.
But, then why are you doing it with water in the first place? You could just use a big counter. It would be a lot faster and more reliable.
If you are using water, you still need to get the state state of tank somehow. The only way to do that, is with a sensor. You could maybe hook up a counter to the tank, but that will mess up due to liquid duplication. At that point, the water would be pretty redundant anyway.

But, then why are you doing it with water in the first place?

I'm using the tanks of water as an example.

I agree, a counter would be more convenient, but then I wouldn't be here if I had access to a counter.

Yup, I get the same error.
And now I am signed up for another thing I will never use. XD

Also you did say "Using two tanks of water as an example". So just use a liquid sensor then. XD Then you can also use lava and honey.
The problem with lava is you can't delete it the way you can with water or honey by placing a chest in 1 block high of a different liquid.

I think they should change it so lava deletes water, water deletes honey, and honey deletes lava. Or maybe they should just make a drain item that will delete a block of liquid each time it gets an input from a wire.

just use a liquid sensor then. XD

Again, ellaborations are in order.
This isn't specific to liquids of any kind.

The REAL purpose is to apply this concept onto rechargeable batteries.
Terraria only has logic gates, but that's more than enough to get what I want.

Again, ellaborations are in order.
This isn't specific to liquids of any kind.

The REAL purpose is to apply this concept onto rechargeable batteries.
Terraria only has logic gates, but that's more than enough to get what I want.
So this whole thing has nothing at all to do with any liquids?
Well then in that case why even use liquids at all. You should wire up some gem spark blocks with actuators to make a battery like display or you could wire the system to a 7 segment display. Maybe 0 to 100 and that would be the % of power the battery is charged. It would be a much faster way of testing things then waiting for the liquids to fill in.

Back
Top Bottom