Portfolio/Multi-Topic Overhaul Terraria's Difficulty.

If you honestly need more than 40 defence (Molten plus warden forge accessories) then you should be playing in pre hardmode, because you are honestly not ready for hardmode...
Mmmm, no. You're once again making the assumption that we are attempting to patch for experienced players. New players WILL use the better armor, and they WILL need the stats offered by it.

Regardless, you are fighting something silly. There would be nothing lost by letting the Molten pick mine up the higher tier ores.

It is five minutes of mining to get the ores required to make the anvil and forge, where the hell did you get one hour from. Also you choose to get new armor. If you honestly need more than 40 defence (Molten plus warden forge accessories) then you should be playing in pre hardmode, because you are honestly not ready for hardmode...

And who said you need to fish an hour? Ever heard of the crate potion? It would take less than 10 minutes to get a decent amount of crates for hardmode.
The real question is where the hell are you getting YOUR numbers? 5 minutes of mining? On average it takes me an hour to get just enough materials for MINIMAL STUFF. And I shouldn't be able to be in hardmode because I want more defense? It's not about defense, it's about additional set bonuses, and effects that the armor GIVES to the player. And again, seeing as how you said it takes 5 minutes to get all the required ore for A Cobalt Drill, A Mythril Drill, a Mythril Anvil, and a Titanium Forge, I can't consider you a reliable source for the time it takes to fish.
And again, I'm not doing this JUST for experienced players, I'm doing this for NEW players. If you think you can beat the hardmode bosses with 40 defense or less that is cool, but newer players are going to need that edge, and honestly, the hardmode mining stage of the game is no fun, and is just tedious.

Firstly, the issue with set bonuses is, only the alternative ores give the unique set bonuses.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with the mining stage of the game. As you can visit previous areas already explored on your map for the ores. Most new players would have used one world and would gave explored the vast majority of it anyways. If you rushed easy mode I can see why it might have taken you so long. Also most players don't use their molten pick and use the previous tier for mining stone and dirt instead, as it is quicker.

Firstly, the issue with set bonuses is, only the alternative ores give the unique set bonuses.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with the mining stage of the game. As you can visit previous areas already explored on your map for the ores. Most new players would have used one world and would gave explored the vast majority of it anyways. If you rushed easy mode I can see why it might have taken you so long. Also most players don't use their molten pick and use the previous tier for mining stone and dirt instead, as it is quicker.
I don't see what the set bonuses thing has to do with anything, later armors give better set bonuses.
Also, there IS something wrong with it. It's the fact that it is dull.
All you do is walk around and mine. Walk around and mine. To at least be able to speed it up would be amazing.
And that Molten pick thing has NOTHING to do with the discussion at hand.

It being dull does not affect it's difficulty... which is why I suggested fishing IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Also why nerf the destroyer? Is he not weak enough already? Poor destroyer :(

It being dull does not affect it's difficulty... which is why I suggested fishing IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Also why nerf the destroyer? Is he not weak enough already? Poor destroyer :(
If effects the enjoyment and pace of the game.

The Destroyer is by far, the hardest mechanical boss. Random laser projectiles that fly wherever they please and those damn-near invisible probe lasers which fly so fast and are so sudden you can't really avoid them, topped with the fact that the probes only drop hearts at a 33% rate.

Really? I just made a wooden box in mid air so I could avoid the lasers and hit the destroyer (and his probes) whenever they entered :p
The destroyer is easy if you find a strategy that works for you.

Really? I just made a wooden box in mid air so I could avoid the lasers and hit the destroyer (and his probes) whenever they entered :p
The destroyer is easy if you find a strategy that works for you.
So is with every boss, I tried the wooden box and died immediately.
The only strategy I found to even REMOTELY help is just flying away as much as possible while spamming a weapon of my choice.

I defeated the destroyer the first time after using the wooden box technique, though I used the mushroom spear it was still incredibly easy.
The only bosses I found difficult was the twins and plantera.

If you still find the destroyer difficult, try using a repeater with jester arrows. It can hit multiple parts of it at once, thus killing it faster.

Also most players don't use their molten pick and use the previous tier for mining stone and dirt instead, as it is quicker.
Molten Pick actually mines stone and ore faster than the Nightmare/Deathbringer Picks. The only time the evil tier pickaxes are faster is when you're dealing with tiles that are mined in one hit either way, such as dirt and sand.

Also, if this part of the game apparently only takes you 5 minutes (that is an absolute under exaggeration), then the game wouldn't be negatively effected if we could skip to titanium/adamantite with a molten pick. It will take new players an awfully lot more time than someone experienced, so what's "5 minutes" to you could be multiple hours for someone else.

The hardmode ore mining part of the game isn't that exciting, especially after the player has just explored an underground jungle, the dungeon, the underworld, and bosses for each biome. Then the timesink begins. Back to basic ore mining where everything can kill you in just a couple hits. Do you remember the time we had to create a set of each hardmode armor, and had to kill all the mechanical bosses, to create hallowed armor? It took a ridiculous amount of time, and I'm glad they changed the recipe. They sped the halled gear part of the game, as it was slow and now there's more fun stuff afterwards. But the pre-mech part of the game is still very slow, and isn't very challenging. Anyone can drink up some spelunker potions and scan the bottom of the world. Even with easy access to the ores it takes quite a lot of time. Seeing how in pre-hardmode, the player is not forced to upgrade to iron/lead to mine silver/tungsten, then upgrade to silver/tungsten to mine gold/platinum, how about just let players mine adamantite/titanium with a molten pick? Molten becomes the new copper pick, with cobalt/palladium, mythril/orichalcum, and adamantite/titanium becoming the new iron/lead, silver/tungsten, and gold/platinum tiers.

Molten Pick actually mines stone and ore faster than the Nightmare/Deathbringer Picks. The only time the evil tier pickaxes are faster is when you're dealing with tiles that are mined in one hit either way, such as dirt and sand.

Also, if this part of the game apparently only takes you 5 minutes (that is an absolute under exaggeration), then the game wouldn't be negatively effected if we could skip to titanium/adamantite with a molten pick. It will take new players an awfully lot more time than someone experienced, so what's "5 minutes" to you could be multiple hours for someone else.

The hardmode ore mining part of the game isn't that exciting, especially after the player has just explored an underground jungle, the dungeon, the underworld, and bosses for each biome. Then the timesink begins. Back to basic ore mining where everything can kill you in just a couple hits. Do you remember the time we had to create a set of each hardmode armor, and had to kill all the mechanical bosses, to create hallowed armor? It took a ridiculous amount of time, and I'm glad they changed the recipe. They sped the halled gear part of the game, as it was slow and now there's more fun stuff afterwards. But the pre-mech part of the game is still very slow, and isn't very challenging. Anyone can drink up some spelunker potions and scan the bottom of the world. Even with easy access to the ores it takes quite a lot of time. Seeing how in pre-hardmode, the player is not forced to upgrade to iron/lead to mine silver/tungsten, then upgrade to silver/tungsten to mine gold/platinum, how about just let players mine adamantite/titanium with a molten pick? Molten becomes the new copper pick, with cobalt/palladium, mythril/orichalcum, and adamantite/titanium becoming the new iron/lead, silver/tungsten, and gold/platinum tiers.

To make the forge you need 30 adamantite pieces, that's about 2-4 veins of ore. [OPTIONAL] (You don't need it unless you want to make the tools or armor)
To make the pick required to mine you need 60 pieces of mythril [OPTIONAL] (You can mine adamantite later)
To make the mythril anvil you need 40 pieces of mythril

You only need to mine 40 pieces of mythril and that's you're anvil sorted! (literally five minutes!) The weapon of choice do the pirate event and get the cutlass (any good sword is decent, I just choose this as it was auto-swing and pretty fast :) ). Choice of armor, stick with molten but reforge your accessories to warding for an additional 20 defence.

*Fight the destroyer in a caged arena with honey, a heart lantern and a campfire for a decent buff to regen. If the destroyer is going straight up, that's your chance to attack. Don't attack if he's going across as he will likely turn around. The reason I recommend this is because it is the drones that do the most damage but their lasers do not go through walls. If the drones entering the box is too much of a problem, try standard dart traps to knock them back a bit.

You shouldn't need a forge as you can skip straight to hallowed armor doing this. Now the twins and skeletron prime would be easy as you can now craft a mega shark and hallowed armor. After defeating all three bosses make the drax, you can find adamantite to make a forge whilst looking for plantera bulbs

Last edited:
Reading over everything that's been said I agree and disagree at certain points; while I feel the curve along normal mode is perfectly fine, as well as the mining of ores and the like in hardmode. I can see how it can be tedious for some.

In my opinion it encourages other venues. I personally enjoy mining for hours on end because there's so much to do underground during any stage of the game. At least for me, I'm either gathering statues for decoration, getting older ores for boss summoners/more decorations. Getting extra heart crystals for my family/for heart Lanterns, and the like. I don't really notice how long it takes, I don't believe it takes hours to gather the ores required for every tier to dig up all the tiers and even if it did you can beat all the mech bosses without those tiers of armor... (In normal and Expert Mode.) Whether that's making a really nice Arena you can traverse to exploit AI weakness, to having a Nightedge before even going into the mode (I normally do because I'm huge on Melee.) To making potions which is another mechanic that I believe everyone should get used to doing because it brings more to the table then "Oh the boss only does 10 damage due to my armor and reforges, so I don't need to bring potions" etc. Beating the mechanical bosses when you first start is thrilling. So personally for me I don't see the need for much changes as far as the curve goes; in fact I kinda wish the "tier equipment" applied before hand in normal mode as well. Not just for the gold meteor-Demonite etc but I mean for lower tiers as well. I think it would have changed a lot of perspective on how the game ends up from where it's going. This is mostly personal opinion but if the game isn't fun as it was programmed; maybe it's just not for some people? I'm not saying people aren't right that it might need some fine tuning here or there.

Maybe I just enjoy boring/tedious work. I just enjoy Terraria for what it is. This is coming from a guy that used to enjoy Minecraft binges and downloading as many Mods as he could to make the game more fun; it didn't really change the game it was more just additions to an already great formula. Which is what I think this thread is trying to bring about- which I support wholely. I just want some people to take a step back and look at the game as a whole then in parts. Since that's what we're focusing on here, making the game feel more like a whole. I don't find anything wrong with the curve of progression. When I first started I just upgraded my armor when I could, got better gear when I was afforded to do so and built basic shame-huts for my NPCs.

I don't mind the game evolving either; if it takes one or multiple directions from this thread; great. I just would like to give my opinion that I don't really see a reason to change what isn't really broken unless you make it broken. (Such as skipping portions because you have the experience and know how to do so.) I wouldn't expect a new player to know there was a layer of hell spawn that they could get to and get hell-gear super early without experiencing much of the rest of the game. Which brings up a point a fellow forum-goer once brought up, Hellforges being locked until a time in which they were meant to be used. Right now you can literally as you said go down to hell and grab a forge and get what you need.

I think the effort it takes to get the tiers of armor in Hardmode is well worth the results, you not only get to explore your world and craft potions. But you can go fish for ores if you really want to (I like to fish in the game for I'm no good/never really been fishing in real life.) All the RNG elements make me really stoked. They even added weapons for biome specific crates which made me really happy because it changes things that you can do a bit more. I see fighting monsters for drops/Mining/Fishing/Building all as just the same thing; work to get results. That's what I enjoy most about Terarria; sure there's mods and the like to cheat/inhibit higher exploits and what not. But unlike Minecraft unless you get an addon, you can't go into "Creative Mode" which is something I personally like because it means that you have to work for everything you do and create. It means that through your efforts you make the best of what you can make and it brings out more creativity due to lack of resources; whether that's going to other worlds and purging them off all the ore and the like to inventing new ways to use things to make other things look better. It just excites me a lot but I digress.
Thanks for making this topic; and for anyone that reads this thank you for taking the time out of your day to view my opinion. (I'm putting it in a spoiler because it's fairly long.)

+1 I agree with this post 100%. Getting past the first milestone should not be quick, especially if it is your first time.

'I see fighting monsters for drops/Mining/Fishing/Building all as just the same thing; work to get results.' (quoted from Thee Pie Man) I could not have said it any better. The issue is, it is only tedious if you are going the same thing over and over again. So taking a break from it and doing something else (that is perfectly as useful as the others) is a great way of getting stuff done without getting bored in return.

To make the forge you need 30 adamantite pieces, that's about 2-4 veins of ore. [OPTIONAL] (You don't need it unless you want to make the tools or armor)
To make the pick required to mine you need 60 pieces of mythril [OPTIONAL] (You can mine adamantite later)
To make the mythril anvil you need 40 pieces of mythril

You only need to mine 40 pieces of mythril and that's you're anvil sorted! (literally five minutes!) The weapon of choice do the pirate event and get the cutlass (any good sword is decent, I just choose this as it was auto-swing and pretty fast :) ). Choice of armor, stick with molten but reforge your accessories to warding for an additional 20 defence.

*Fight the destroyer in a caged arena with honey, a heart lantern and a campfire for a decent buff to regen. If the destroyer is going straight up, that's your chance to attack. Don't attack if he's going across as he will likely turn around. The reason I recommend this is because it is the drones that do the most damage but their lasers do not go through walls. If the drones entering the box is too much of a problem, try standard dart traps to knock them back a bit.

You shouldn't need a forge as you can skip straight to hallowed armor doing this. Now the twins and skeletron prime would be easy as you can now craft a mega shark and hallowed armor. After defeating all three bosses make the drax, you can find adamantite to make a forge whilst looking for plantera bulbs
You NEED the Forge and Anvil to craft EVERYTHING in hardmode. And you also need a cobalt drill to mine Mythril, and a Mythril drill to mine Adamantite.
Literally an hour!

You NEED the Forge and Anvil to craft EVERYTHING in hardmode. And you also need a cobalt drill to mine Mythril, and a Mythril drill to mine Adamantite.
Literally an hour!
I think you need to
1. Craft Spelunker potions.
2. Break more Demon Altars/Flesh Altars so that there's more of the ore.
3. (Optional) Craft Mining potions to speed up the process.

It does not take an entire hour unless you're derping around Edit-; and having said that- that applies to veterans and new users. Regardless; by the time you're in hard mode you should have most of everything you need to get what you want in 20 minutes tops.

I think you need to

It does not take an entire hour unless you're derping around; and having said that- that applies to veterans and new users. Regardless; by the time you're in hard mode you should have most of everything you need to get what you want in 20 minutes tops.
Despite what people seem to think, potion crafting is not incentivised and, as it stands, should not be balanced for.

I think you need to

It does not take an entire hour unless you're derping around.
That's what I do, still takes an hour.
I can break 20 demon altars and it will STILL take an hour.
I want to see a video of this "5 minute mining" process. No pausing, no cuts, no editing, just 5 minutes to get ALL the materials required for a Cobalt & Mythril Drill, Anvil, and Forge.

I think hardmode should stay strong because its supposed to roughen you up and teach you that you arent strong like you were in normal mode

That's what I do, still takes an hour.
I can break 20 demon altars and it will STILL take an hour.
I want to see a video of this "5 minute mining" process. No pausing, no cuts, no editing, just 5 minutes to get ALL the materials required for a Cobalt & Mythril Drill, Anvil, and Forge.
I did edit it afterwards, I never said five minutes in the first place. xD! That was someone else.

I think hardmode should stay strong because its supposed to roughen you up and teach you that you arent strong like you were in normal mode
That's why I'm buffing various things in normal mode.
I hate how Normal Mode puts you in this sense of false godlyhood and then Hardmode comes and becomes frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom