Overrated TV shows

Ive never seen the show or read the book but if its anything like harry potter im pretty sure it wont be as excellent

Way late response here, but its nothing like Harry Potter. Absolutely nothing like Harry Potter. Both fall under a very broad definition of fantasy, but couldn't be further apart. They have as much in common as Wall-E and Alien have in common for both being science fiction.

HP is a highly magical hidden "wizard world" that takes place in a real-Earth setting, primarily focused on and written for children and teenagers, with a generally light hearted tone and "fun" universe, despite the more serious elements of its plot. Magic is extremely common and dramatic, and the difference between our world and the "magic" world is one of the biggest draws to readers of the franchise. Very kid friendly until about half-way through the franchise, until it gets a little rougher, but still teen friendly.

Game of Thrones is an intensely political, brutal story set in a medieval non-Earth setting, primarily written for adults (although it does feature a good number of children as protagonists). Magic and supernatural elements are rare, or even extinct, in the universe, and when you do encounter magical stuff, its a big deal. Its more or less a real world medieval universe with "a hint" of magic. The vast majority of the content is about people trying to survive in a cutt-throat, unforgiving and war-torn nation, and dealing with the scheming and political maneuvering of those in positions of power and how they take advantage of others for their purposes. Nearly every episode would rate as an "R" if it were in theaters due to the adult content.

American Horror Story. I hear a bunch of girls in my school talk about it, but it just seems sick and twisted. Maybe that's why they enjoy it, I don't know.

If there is one trait I've ALWAYS noticed about American Horror Story, its that every series focuses on people getting more and more screwed by fate. Its like a sadistic dream come true as people get tossed from the frying pan into the fire over and over again, and just when things couldn't get worse, you get thrown into an insane asylum or horribly disfigured or something.

It may be "horror", but its very much drama.

Last edited:
Hmmm, if I had to name a few I would probably say. Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead and Attack on Titan.

Calling a show overrated is really easy though, because it's really a matter on what you enjoy to watch. You are more likely to think shows that you don't watch are overrated compared to shows that you do actively watch. Just because a show is "overrated" doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. I would call South Park overrated, but I still enjoy watching it from time to time. There isn't a golden show that is just perfect, that's damn near impossible. No matter what you think of a show, there are going to be people who call it overrated. Are they wrong? No, because again, its all a matter of opinion/taste.

That being said, it was hard for me to name these three shows. They are all something that has a huge following, but I could not get into them. And that alone is enough for me to personally feel that they are overrated.

I actually like Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead
But man, how many zombie they need to kill to eliminate everybody?
Family Guy and stuff like i think.
(since The Lord of the Rings, series like Game of Thrones made me go high :D)

Last edited:
To me, none of the characters are memorable, or at least not memorable in a good way. I often compare Adventure Time to Avatar the Last Airbender, as they are trying to accomplish similar things: build an elaborate and mystical/captivating world, have fun and deep characters, and incorporate fictional plot points into an at least semi-realistic world. For the first point, I can't personally get engrossed into the world of Ooo or however that's spelled. It feels like I'm in a fever dream, or that someone just wrote down the first things that came to their minds. Avatar, on the other hand, has exquisite introductions of how the world works, which is dealt with within seconds of each episode's opening sequence. Secondly, the characters in Adventure Time are utterly nonsensical. They make up words that, instead of being charming and funny, make me think that everyone has some sort of level of schizophrenia and needs help. And if the world itself is odd, the characters in the world are even worse. Their names are basically their defining characteristics, and they rarely change their personalities, or if they do, it's fifty episodes in, when I had already moved on to a better show. Avatar's characters are renowned for how much they change. Aang goes from being an immature child to a bringer of peace. Katara comes to terms with the murder of her mother. Even Zuko, one of the main villains, changes his entire being to join the side of peace. The list goes on. Finally, Avatar has many points of realism in it's show, making it feel plausible, and, more importantly, relatable. In Adventure Time's case, they change the rules of what is allowed that Finn and Jake might as well snap their fingers and declare themselves gods. If the characters don't take things seriously, why should I?

TL;DR: Adventr Tim iz supr bed, k?
Adventure Time is the kind of cartoon you can watch out of order, at least with most of the episodes. You know, like Spongebob and Bugs Bunny.

As for Avatar, I'll just leave you with this:

4jXAhr9.png

I also heard he befriends a boy who bends earth who has trouble seeing? Ah well.

Adventure Time is the kind of cartoon you can watch out of order, at least with most of the episodes. You know, like Spongebob and Bugs Bunny.

As for Avatar, I'll just leave you with this:

4jXAhr9.png

I also heard he befriends a boy who bends earth who has trouble seeing? Ah well.

I think its a girl and the avatars name is Aang

Way late response here, but its nothing like Harry Potter. Absolutely nothing like Harry Potter. Both fall under a very broad definition of fantasy, but couldn't be further apart. They have as much in common as Wall-E and Alien have in common for both being science fiction.

HP is a highly magical hidden "wizard world" that takes place in a real-Earth setting, primarily focused on and written for children and teenagers, with a generally light hearted tone and "fun" universe, despite the more serious elements of its plot. Magic is extremely common and dramatic, and the difference between our world and the "magic" world is one of the biggest draws to readers of the franchise. Very kid friendly until about half-way through the franchise, until it gets a little rougher, but still teen friendly.

Game of Thrones is an intensely political, brutal story set in a medieval non-Earth setting, primarily written for adults (although it does feature a good number of children as protagonists). Magic and supernatural elements are rare, or even extinct, in the universe, and when you do encounter magical stuff, its a big deal. Its more or less a real world medieval universe with "a hint" of magic. The vast majority of the content is about people trying to survive in a cutt-throat, unforgiving and war-torn nation, and dealing with the scheming and political maneuvering of those in positions of power and how they take advantage of others for their purposes. Nearly every episode would rate as an "R" if it were in theaters due to the adult content.
What I meant was, the book was a great book, but the movie was horrible compared to it and had many changes, did not like

Phineas and Ferb, Family Guy, Walking Dead, Big Bang Theory, Doctor Who, and some others I can't remember right now and will never bother to add.

Doctor Who is by far the most overrated show. I like it and all, but people take it too seriously and it gets annoying.

Although I like it, I think Gravity Falls is falling (haha) into the overrated pit in TV Hell for overrated shows.
Then there's The Simpsons, My Little Pony, Family Guy and Big Bang Theory.
Don't get me started on them.

MLP. Used to be a slightly neckbeardy fan of the show myself.

It's definitely a lot more developed than other little kids' shows, yeah, and the artstyle and animation is eye-catching. But there's a lot of stupid :red: in the show, not to mention Hasbro doesn't give a :red: about the fanbase (not too surprising, considering 80% of it are fedorables).

Can't stand it now, not to mention that I don't think it's nearly good as I used to think it was and the only really interesting charafter is Discord. It's still probably the best show aimed at littls girls, and I can see people enjoying it with their kids. Still wouldn't watch it again though, and never will.

My younger brother watches all kinds of stuff so I've managed to catch bits of everything. I don't fancy arguing with anyone I just want to get all my opinions out there.

The Big Bang Theory, the Mindy Project and ones like that are all the same. They have the same brightly coloured, hipster film sets, the same shallow characters and same story-lines that have been continuously re-marketed for the last decade.

I can't deal with the shows centred around families like 'Modern Family' that are just regurgitations of Malcom in the Middle. I've seen this part where all the kids and family members are being loud and naughty and making all this mess all over the house and the mum comes indoors, looks around and just says "I'm going into the family room". I'm not sure if this is supposed to be funny but it's just too obvious for me.

All new Simpsons episodes since season 8 have been no good either. I know characters evolve but what exactly has Lisa become? She used to be an intelligent and vegetarian little girl. Instead she's now an anti-establishment liberal who can still conversely be obsessed with 'Mapple' products and the 'Survival Games'. I mean, as a child I hated not knowing who all these random American celebrities they would reference to in episodes from the 1990s but it's almost as if the writers can only parody real life events now and are unable to think of anything original. Homer used to seem accidentally funny. He wasn't a complete idiot and you could tell that he had his own form of logic that he used to decide his actions. Now he stupid and just for the sake of it and one can't discern any meaningful intention behind his actions. As a result he has become completely unlikable to me. The show itself, in an attempt to become edgy or something is a lot cruder now, with Bart a TEN YEAR OLD in one episode trying to convince Marge and Homer to have another child in all sorts of vulgar and inappropriate ways. He's supposed to be 10...I almost complained to Ofcom.

All that American nonsense with the slug Kim Kardashian, Millionaire Matchmaker or the Real Housewives of tomato and ice cream county are so scripted it makes me want to tear my hair out. That being said, British television is becoming awful too what with shows like 'TOWIE'.

'New' Doctor who has been crap ever since David Tennant left. It's a shame that many Americans haven't seen some of the wonderful episodes with him and Christopher Eccelson before the show descended into childish nonsense. The show has become more popular in the USA since Matt Smith and Count Dracula Peter Capaldi but not a single "real" episode of Doctor who has been created since. The Moon is an egg? Sentient, fireproof trees can protect the Earth from a deadly solar flare? PLUH-EASE! Watch 'The Waters of Mars' if you want to see true Doctor Who.

This 'Mrs Brown's Boys' is a total embarrassment and the worst thing to crawl out of Ireland since Boyzone. :p I am ashamed of the BBC! It's just not funny at all. The crudeness and vulgarity isn't groundbreaking or pushing back boundaries like some would believe. Little Britain was crap too but it was far more controversial than this sludge. I cringe at the thought of people from other countries thinking this is what we produce.

Adventure Time was great, I thought it was really unique at the time. While other great cartoons like Courage the Cowardly Dog had surreal and dark humour at times, Adventure Time really took it up a notch and the first 2 series I think were great. Now it seems to live off of its old glories and has created some sort of weirdo story-line arcs that I'm unable to follow. Also, I don't want to feel sad when I'm reminded he's the last human and stuff, or that the "fire princess" thing will die if she leaves the volcano so they can never be together. It's meant to be a cartoon I don't want to be depressed! Adventure Time has spawned many other surreal cartoons that I haven't watched cos I'ma busy grownup :3

What the hell is Breaking Bad supposed to even be? I've watched episodes with my brother, I've read about it on Wikipedia and I literally just can't get into the slow-talking unlikable characters one bit. I liked the part where that guy's face got exploded off at the hospital by the man in the wheelchair but I just think it's terribly overrated and shallow.

Argh not to generalise here, there probably is some great American television but everything that gets to the UK I hate. I mean, just like Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Under the dome, it's all the same with some sort of tough mysterious man with a dark history and a strong independent woman who trys to hide her emotions blah blah. It's just too tedious for me.

I love NCIS though, I've never correctly guessed who the murderer is and all the characters are well put together, mhmm my favourite show from the US.

If you want something great then watch Black Mirror or Utopia, they're dark, funny and really make you think and use your brain instead of turning it off. Black Mirror is an anthology set in the very near future and deals with the impacts of new technology on society, it's quite satirical but still really dark and has been compared to the Twilight Zone. You'll probably want to skip the first episode of series one of Black Mirror though, it's not in good taste in my opinion but the rest are great, probably a 16+ as there are adult themes.There are three episodes in each of the two series plus a Christmas special and they are available to watch on Netflix.

I can't say much about Utopia without ruining it but it truly is one of the best shows ever produced. It's largely concerned with a global conspiracy theory and the race against time to prevent a secret 'network' implementing it. It's all about vaccines, viruses, overpopulation; classic Illuminati stuff so if that's the sort of stuff you're interested in then you should watch it. There are 12 episodes in total that have everything you could want, comedy, love, danger but there are some incredibly dark and violent scenes though so definitely 18+. Brits can watch it on 4oD but I don't know if it's on Netflix or anything I'm afraid.

Here are some trailers!

Doctor Who: Waters of Mars

Black Mirror series two

And Utopia is hard to describe, there are no real trailers so I think I'll just link to this scene

Argh not to generalise here, there probably is some great American television but everything that gets to the UK I hate. I mean, just like Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Under the dome, it's all the same with some sort of tough mysterious man with a dark history and a strong independent woman who trys to hide her emotions blah blah. It's just too tedious for me.
The hell are you going on about?

I liked the part where that guy's face got exploded off at the hospital by the man in the wheelchair but I just think it's terribly overrated and shallow.
Think about how ridiculous that entire sentence is. You mention that the only thing you liked about the show was the part where someone's face explodes then proceed to call the show "shallow."

ZEX6XK9.png

Interesting.

I will not go into all the shows in which I think is overrated.

Dragon Ball Z and its variations:
Reasons: Ok, I get that Dragon ball Z is about fighting and stuff, but it is not a good show in any means. It has horrible storyline, and even when it had story it was basically the same story over and over and over again. Most of the characters weren't developed enough, excluding Gohan, Vegeta, and a few others. Don't get me started on the fan base.

Uncle Grampa:
Reasons: It is a kid show. I get that. but when you go beneath the level of stupidity of Spongebob Squarepants (which is tolerable), then you did something wrong. It portrays a grotesque humor that sickens me. And don't get me started on how Gus's tail got chopped off in one of the episodes.

I will not go into all the shows in which I think is overrated.

Dragon Ball Z and its variations:
Reasons: Ok, I get that Dragon ball Z is about fighting and stuff, but it is not a good show in any means. It has horrible storyline, and even when it had story it was basically the same story over and over and over again. Most of the characters weren't developed enough, excluding Gohan, Vegeta, and a few others. Don't get me started on the fan base.
I recommend trying out Dragon Ball, the beginning of the series. Everyone seems to overlook it or forget about it, probably because it's actually good and not at all like everything after it. It's about the zany adventures of Goku as an innocent little kid, not aliens who shoot balls of light at each other.

Back
Top Bottom