Parts of games where you feel overpowered. (But fairly!)

ShadowTiger

Duke Fishron
Post occasions during video games where you feel like a major badass! :cool: It could also be an "11th Hour Superpower" thread if you'd like.

This thread will probably contain spoilers. Be warned.

Super Metroid:
At the very end of the game when you fight Mother Brain, during her second phase, you feel like your attacks do absolutely nothing to her and she's got this horribly powerful rainbow beam of death she fires at you that pins you up against the wall and just utterly destroys you. Just when you're on your last few hit points, this Metroid you knew when it was a baby comes in and saves your life, and sacrifices itself for your benefit, granting you the Hyper Beam. Whereas your very absolute best weaponry was like hitting her with wadded up paper towels, your energy beam now hits like a truck. It's a beautiful moment that still makes me tear up a bit every time I see it. Take a look.

Yakuza 0
Yakuza 0 is known for its amazing soundtrack, among many other things. The soundtrack probably has some of the best themes I've heard in years. They're galvanizing, energetic, and electric. They really get you moving! Best yet, they thoroughly reflect the intensity and meaning of the action you're facing. It's what makes the game so very immersive, and has warranted it being one of the best games I've ever played in my life. Hands down! My sister agrees with me, no less. She cannot put the controller down!

Here's an entire soundtrack for the game's battle themes. Even every combat stance has its own theme. You earn each combat stance, which are each extremely different, through the story. -Except- for the final combat stance, which is far and beyond the most exotic of that character's arsenal of attacks. From Kiryu's hard-hitting brutal Beast Style theme to Majima's Breaker Style theme, where he literally break-dances his enemies to death (It's so amazing to see...) the combat has a background of inspiration and immersion. No doubt.

But there's a fourth combat style that you can unlock through vast amounts of hard work and dedication. I won't spoil what they are, but they had me on the edge of my seat when I unlocked them. You feel like a MASSIVE badass. This is the theme of Kiryu's battle stance. Give it a listen.

New Game+ in Three Houses.

Why wait and level up you professor level, when you can spend a bit of renown to get up to A+ level?
And the Crest items are cool, even if they sound morally wrong in the plot context.

The final mission of Blood campaign in Age of Empires III

Why take the ol' boring naval combat when you can obliterate the ships and even enemy with one fixed cannon and have tons of fun doing so? Given that enemies are powered up, it feels like a fun way to complete the chapter (even if you face the traitor Alain who has Imperial Hussars, you're probably having lots of fun tearing through enemy base and shrugging off every single attempt, so in a way, this is boss vs. boss fight, but you're a boss to them and Circle is a boss to you too.

The big example for me is in Metroid Zero Mission. To add-on another Metroid example.

Unlike the original NES game which the game is remade from, the game doesn't end when you kill Mother Brain. You are pretty powerful at this point in the game, but you don't feel overpowered (this assumes a normal playthrough and not a low % run) There is a whole new segment involving getting shot down from space while trying to escape the planet from Space Pirates. You end up powerless, being unable to use your power suit and a majority of the abilities you've earned so far. All you can do is stun pirates with a stun gun.

As you navigate through the mother ship and later through the Ruins, you come to an area of the ruins that tests you. Mostly your reflexes and reaction speed. After you pass it, you are rewarded with a new, stronger power suit. In addition there were a few items that you picked up before killing Mother Brain that couldn't be used before. Your new suit allows you to use them, and they are the most powerful abilities in the game (Plasma Beam, Gravity Suit, and Space Jump).

At this point nothing can stop you pretty much. You feel like you could destroy the planet with all the abilities you've gained. It feels so rewarding to get the abilities from your old power suit back ontop of new abilities because you survived a gauntlet of having to sneak past dozens of Space Pirates with a pistol. The only way to kill pirates is to make them shoot each other. Otherwise they could murder you. So getting your powers back and being able to destroy the Space Pirates feels insanely rewarding and well earned. It is a euphoric feeling I don't get very often. Especially since I don't feel overpowered overall when it comes to most of the Prime games even near the end. (Unless I'm playing on a difficulty that isn't hard-mode) The only challenge left is the final boss, and a few rare elite black colored pirates that take several hits to take down.

Then several examples can apply in games with New Game+ in general.

There are games such as Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor/Strange Journey and the Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky where the difficulty in those games feel very high. It's not just one or 2 bosses which give a lot of trouble, but several bosses and regular enemies throughout the game even keep you on your toes. And when you finally beat the final boss and can carry everything you've earned over to a NG+. It feels rewarding to easily defeat all the bosses that gave you trouble in the 1st playthrough.

Elder Scrolls Oblivion when I got my 100% reflect damage suit. I could walk through Oblivion gates and gather large crowds of monsters. Then I would lay the game pad down and watch them all kill themselves by attacking me.

The 100% chameleon suit was nice too as you could walk up to guards and kill them in broad daylight in front of everybody, never get caught or attacked.

Both suits got boring real fast.

(warning, spoilers)
Half life 2 has a gravity gun (actually called the Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator) that you unlock in the middle of the game that allows you to do many things: pick up items that are from a far, throw them at enemies (especially sawblades that can literally cut zombies in half!).
So you reach the final segment to face off Doctor Breen who, trying to save humanity, practically enslaved it to the overpowered Combine Empire that invaded the entire Earth in what is known as the 7 hour war. You must ride some weird contraptions that usually carried rebels and humans that were tortured to the brink of insanity that the game calls stalkers. The building spots you and forces you through a Confiscation Field, which ends up destroying every single one of your weapons, except one.

The Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator.

It becomes super powered, capable of literally tearing down in-game structures, as well as pulling and annihilating the Combine that try to chase you down. Your suit becomes capable of absorbing twice as much energy and protects you a lot more. This doesn't sound that great on paper so here's a link to a video that shows what I'm talking about. And if you don't want to see the terrible things the Combine has done to humanity and skip to the scene you get your overpowered Gravity gun, here's that link.

I know this might be sort of biased since we're on the official forum for the game, but Terraria makes you feel incredibly powerful after the Moon Lord is defeated. At the start, pretty much every monster can kill you with ease. By the time the Wall of Flesh is defeated, you have weapons powerful enough to kill off most of the early game enemies as easily as they could kill you. Once the Mechs are taken down, you'd probably have weapons like the Oynx Blaster, which destroy most pre-Hardmode enemies (especially when paired up with Crystal Bullets). After Plantera is defeated, you gain access to the full Solar Eclipse, the two Lunar Holiday events, as well as Duke Fishron (though you'd probably defeat him before then to have an even more powerful arsenal). You'd also gain access to the Jungle Temple and Golem, which when defeated would give access to the Martian Madness event and their powerful weapons, and the Lunatic Cultist and the Lunar Events. By this time, you could easily kill most enemies, pre-Hardmode and Hardmode. Once you defeat the four Towers and defeat the Moon Lord, pretty much every normal enemy (besides the Dungeon Guardian) can be quickly eliminated, and most bosses are easily killable. Terraria in the endgame makes you feel like practically a god.

Last edited:
Okay,i have one of those moments where i feel like a god.

In monster hunter you hunt monsters, walking pickles, and monsters that seem out of hell. But if there is a battle in which I felt like a god, literally. MH4U: The battle against the Gogmazios really was one of the most epic I had, but the truth in this case I will say that the battle against the Ukanlos alone made me feel very strong. Enter the polar zone and see that white shovel face, plus the scene, and start beating him with the insect glaive ... OOF, it feels wonderful.

Both Radiance battles (the Radiance (inside the hollow knight) & Absolute Radiance (at the end of Pantheon of Hallownest) are super hard. probably because they're both true final bosses, but anyway; after beating these stupid hard fights (and maybe fighting EVERY BOSS IN THE GAME OVER AND OVER in the case of Absolute Radiance) you get this moment where you just slap the Radiance to death or rip Absolute radiance to shreds. I felt OP when I beat Regular Radiance, and probably will feel the same once i beat the monstrosity that is Pantheon of Hallownest

ES: Skyrim with all sneak perks and a good dagger.
Fo4 full Rooted, Blitz and Sneak peeks with Pickman's Blade (plus all the chems you can neck)

In both cases, pretty much one hit kill every time.

Super smash bros game+. at this point you have a bunch of legendary spirits and you straight up destroy most of the game.

Last time was using King Roham in the final battle in Age of Calamity. I kept attacking and dodging non stop. And the music helps

Post occasions during video games where you feel like a major badass! :cool: It could also be an "11th Hour Superpower" thread if you'd like.

This thread will probably contain spoilers. Be warned.

Super Metroid:
At the very end of the game when you fight Mother Brain, during her second phase, you feel like your attacks do absolutely nothing to her and she's got this horribly powerful rainbow beam of death she fires at you that pins you up against the wall and just utterly destroys you. Just when you're on your last few hit points, this Metroid you knew when it was a baby comes in and saves your life, and sacrifices itself for your benefit, granting you the Hyper Beam. Whereas your very absolute best weaponry was like hitting her with wadded up paper towels, your energy beam now hits like a truck. It's a beautiful moment that still makes me tear up a bit every time I see it. Take a look.

Yakuza 0
Yakuza 0 is known for its amazing soundtrack, among many other things. The soundtrack probably has some of the best themes I've heard in years. They're galvanizing, energetic, and electric. They really get you moving! Best yet, they thoroughly reflect the intensity and meaning of the action you're facing. It's what makes the game so very immersive, and has warranted it being one of the best games I've ever played in my life. Hands down! My sister agrees with me, no less. She cannot put the controller down!

Here's an entire soundtrack for the game's battle themes. Even every combat stance has its own theme. You earn each combat stance, which are each extremely different, through the story. -Except- for the final combat stance, which is far and beyond the most exotic of that character's arsenal of attacks. From Kiryu's hard-hitting brutal Beast Style theme to Majima's Breaker Style theme, where he literally break-dances his enemies to death (It's so amazing to see...) the combat has a background of inspiration and immersion. No doubt.

But there's a fourth combat style that you can unlock through vast amounts of hard work and dedication. I won't spoil what they are, but they had me on the edge of my seat when I unlocked them. You feel like a MASSIVE badass. This is the theme of Kiryu's battle stance. Give it a listen.
yakuza 0 and yakuza kiwami

Spoilers for GTA V
The Paleto Score, just being able to obliterate every single thing that comes in your field of vision with the minigun is badass.

Back
Top Bottom