• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • 1.4 will bring many changes to the PC version. We strongly advise making plans to back up your worlds and players prior to updating your game. More details here.
  • Begin your search for Journey's End information here and here. Please report bugs and issues for Journey's End here.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

Tool [Patcher] Terraria Tweaker 2 | SUPERCHARGE YOUR TERRARIA! (1.4 compatible!)

Proxiehunter

Terrarian
Thanks for the hotkeys. Once you're able to work on Terraria Tweaker again I had an idea for a couple of tweaks. Probably likely to be used together but I can see some people wanting one but not the other. If it's possible to do it would be nice to have a tweak that allows gem trees to grow regardless of light level and a tweak that allows them to grow above ground.

sinzah

Terrarian
Not entirely sure what I am doing. I have all of the pylon restriction removals enabled but anytime I try to place a second forest pylon it plops right back up into my inventory. Anyone else run into this issue?

Update: It seems I am unable to place two of the same pylons anywhere, regardless of biome. Tested with jungle and universal.

Double update: Seems like the pylon tweak isn't working at all as we were unable to use a pylon without npcs nearby

Last edited:

TiberiumFusion

Official Terrarian
Ah, ok. I do understand that.
How ever, during the "Steam holds process "hostage"" message, it is possible to get the newly assembled executable. Copying and renaming it to Terraria2.exe (for example) and aborting the process, will leave the vanilla/selfmodded/anyotherkindofpatcher-version of the client + the one patched with yours.
Of course. The modified Terraria.exe must exist on the disk for it to run. Executing a .NET assembly from memory is extremely limited and never works as intended. TT2 also allows you to make a permanently patched assembly at a location of your choice via right click Tweak List > Advanced > Permanently Patched Assembly. The reason the "only patched by TT2 while running" paradigm exists is to provide immunity to Terraria updates and to make it easier for me and the users when it comes to diagnosing problems. It's so much easier when you control the variables and know what's what.

Just a question: Are you thinking about adding custom modding? I have quite some offsets, like custom recipes, custom items (e.g. combining a few magic weapons to get the counterpart to Zenith), resolution-ratio-fixing, and so on.
I would like to use your tool for a fast and simple search-and-replace method, instead of debugging the executable. :)
I am currently developing a usercode plugin system for TT2 based upon the Harmony dyanmic patching utility that I've been using a lot. This will allow users to write "plugins" in C# with minimal knowledge of the language, Terraria, or the CLR in general. It's too early to say when it will be ready, but it will allow you to achieve the kind of custom designs you list there.
But...
...TT2 is a CLR assembly patcher. It does not edit program memory in any way. The .NET world of managed code has no need for offsets :)

Does anybody else's achievements reset every time they launch Terraria using TT2? Or is this a vanilla bug?
Hasn't ever happened to me. Achievements are mostly in the domain of Steam, so it's probably an issue with Steam failing to ID the Terraria launch and allow access to the Steam API.

Can you please direct me on more information about that? I feel so out of the loop now.
If you mean my preempt to the trolls:
After I realized what was happening earlier today, I first looked through the various Steam reddits for any posts and/or possible solutions to the problem. Almost every single thread was full of ignorant, self-righteous imbeciles ridiculing the OP or other posters about wanting to keep the old Steam client. The posts by those users/bots/Valve plants were getting upvoted, while the posts by people who were trying to share info about the issue were getting downvoted. I don't want that trash in my TT2 thread. I usually avoid Reddit like the plague.

If you mean the "trash your computer and sell your private identity already" phrase itself:
Valve is a very, very, very scummy company. Over the last year, they have updated the Steam client in many evil & backwards ways. The new library update in November 2019 replaced the main client UI with a thin Chrome skin application. In other words, they shoved a slow, horrible web browser in a desktop application to create desktop programs with Javascript and HTML. This is a wildly popular industry trend that is used to pay PHBs more and train employees less. The ultimate costs are handed down to the end user, who has to deal which a pile of hot garbage that consumes unbelievably high system resources (processing power, disk access time, memory, etc.) just to run a hyper-bloated user interface. To put it into perspective, the new Steam library UI requires more processing power than Terraria requires. New Steam is a parasite that's constantly sucking the life out of your computer, even in the background. So that's the "trash your computer" aspect. The other one, "sell your private identity", is about how Steam and other game distribution clients (most notably Epic) harvest private data from your computer and ship it off to their servers. Your data could go anywhere from there. Usually, it's sold to a data company like Google, who is the #1 consumer of identities and personally-identifying information in the world. So, by using an older version of the Steam client, I'm better off with a client that doesn't kill my computer just to render some buttons and text and also takes less of my life away from me.

Btw, what are your other projects? You're an awesome dev and I'd like to take at look at those.
Steam-related projects? Sometimes I make Garry's Mod addons and practice being creative with SFM. In general, though, I tend to start a lot of projects and complete only a few after I see what holds water and what doesn't. It's a lot easier to have fun learning something when you don't commit to releasing it :) Terraria Tweaker is pretty much the only public release that's attached to my TiberiumFusion name. I usually share simpler and more niche projects under other names.

Thanks for the hotkeys. Once you're able to work on Terraria Tweaker again I had an idea for a couple of tweaks. Probably likely to be used together but I can see some people wanting one but not the other. If it's possible to do it would be nice to have a tweak that allows gem trees to grow regardless of light level and a tweak that allows them to grow above ground.
Thanks for the suggestions, they're on my list now. These are probably in the domain of world generation, which would be a good excuse to finally do some mapping of that part of Terraria's code.

Not entirely sure what I am doing. I have all of the pylon restriction removals enabled but anytime I try to place a second forest pylon it plops right back up into my inventory. Anyone else run into this issue?

Update: It seems I am unable to place two of the same pylons anywhere, regardless of biome. Tested with jungle and universal.

Double update: Seems like the pylon tweak isn't working at all as we were unable to use a pylon without npcs nearby
Hmmm... the 1.4.0.5 Terraria update might have changed something. Thanks for the report, I'll take a look at it.

Hope you figure everything out, man. Bummers are called that for a reason. :D
I caught a lucky break a couple hours ago and found a way to make Steam launch again. I don't how for long it will work, but it's a huge relief. For anyone in the same boat as me: this is how I fixed it. Which means.... (segue to the next post)

TiberiumFusion

Official Terrarian
I can develop Terraria Tweaker 2 again!

After a pretty long day of pulling my hair out and a miracle or two, I was able to get my Steam client to start again, so I can launch Terraria, which of course is pretty critical to creating patches for Terraria. Go figure.
I was lucky enough to have a 2 year old backup of the Steam client lying around, which just happened to have the right kind of signals and yellow flags that helped reveal a solution. I have no idea how permanent my discovered fix is, but at least for the very near future, I can finish the planned content for the 2.2.1405.1 update and hopefully continue development as normal from there on out. This means the "as-is" update that was going to release today will be postponed back to the original date (either the 8th or 9th), and will include more new content than if it had released today.

Thanks again, everyone. It's pretty rare to luck out this quickly on extremely uninformed issues like this.

Ruin

Golem
Glad to hear that your issues with Steam were "resolved" for the time being, @TiberiumFusion !

Thanks again for all the recent tweak additions and changes. This tool has made the game a lot more enjoyable since TMOD will be out-of-date for a while. Not to mention, I'm sure I'll continue to use TT2 once TMOD updates, considering how useful and simple it is.

Fandande

Terrarian
The new library update in November 2019 replaced the main client UI with a thin Chrome skin application. In other words, they shoved a slow, horrible web browser in a desktop application to create desktop programs with Javascript and HTML.
Maybe we need a plugin for Steam like Adblock. I use Adblock + User Javascript and CSS + Site Block Ultimate that blocks domains the hard way. Maybe Steam needs some kind of this functionality.

Radenium

Spazmatism
Glad to hear that your issues with Steam were "resolved" for the time being, @TiberiumFusion !

Thanks again for all the recent tweak additions and changes. This tool has made the game a lot more enjoyable since TMOD will be out-of-date for a while. Not to mention, I'm sure I'll continue to use TT2 once TMOD updates, considering how useful and simple it is.
Better not get hopes too high. tModLoader is its own thing now, and TT2 looks for the vanilla Steam executable.

TiberiumFusion

Official Terrarian
Good job for this awesome tool ! I have a suggestion for a tweak, is it possible to show sell value in item tooltip ?
Sell price varies depending on what NPC you're talking to (see: Happiness factor), but I could try to add an "estimated sell price" to item tooltips.

TT2 looks for the vanilla Steam executable.
Not quite. TT2 looks for the vanilla Steam executable, typically at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria\Terraria.exe. If I recall correctly, tModLoader is "installed" by replacing Terraria.exe with a tModLoader assembly, but still keeping the file named as "Terraria.exe". TT2 patches whatever Terraria.exe happens to be, whether its vanilla or otherwise.

When using item spawner it writes it in the chat, can other players see this as well ?
In multiplayer? Honestly, I don't remember. It should temporarily show above your head, but not in the chat history. But at any rate, Terraria Tweaker 2 is intended to be a gameplay enhancer, not a sneaky cheat client, so I didn't bother with making the chat commands silent.

Slaneesh

Duke Fishron
In multiplayer? Honestly, I don't remember. It should temporarily show above your head, but not in the chat history. But at any rate, Terraria Tweaker 2 is intended to be a gameplay enhancer, not a sneaky cheat client, so I didn't bother with making the chat commands silent.
It's not like we could just use the Journey Mode item duplication menu anyway. Some aspects of TT2 have proven quite useful for multiplayer though, and we(me & friends) use a set tweak list for an enhanced experience.

kerms

Terrarian
I found a bug if you summon the suspicious grinning eye it summons a broken version of the true eye of Cthulu

sinzah

Terrarian
Hey Tiberium, did some more testing with our pylon issue. It's only in multiplayer. Pylons work fine in single player.

TiberiumFusion

Official Terrarian
I found a bug if you summon the suspicious grinning eye it summons a broken version of the true eye of Cthulu
Interesting. It looks like the Suspicious Grinning Eye uses the exact same code as the Suspicious Looking Tentacle. Thanks for the report - it'll be fixed in the next update.

I think just listing the absolute selling value (100%) would be fine.
Yes, that's what the estimated sell price would most likely be.

TiberiumFusion

Official Terrarian
Hey Tiberium, did some more testing with our pylon issue. It's only in multiplayer. Pylons work fine in single player.
I'll see what I can do to get Unrestrict Pylons working in multiplayer. It might not be 100% possible, because TT2 is a client patcher, but there should be some tricks I can try.

Tac2

Terrarian
TiberiumFusion Thank you for making this tool and for the patience you consistently have with your community. I have not seen anything in regards to donations or asking for donations of any sort. You put in many man hours and are consistently taking feedback, questions, and suggestions.

jakeds

Terrarian
Hi, I'd love to request/ask if it's even possible to revert the Nebula armor to work on all damage again. I really like nebula armour and I don't want to use Vortex.
Cheers for the awesome program :)

TiberiumFusion

Official Terrarian
Hi, I'd love to request/ask if it's even possible to revert the Nebula armor to work on all damage again. I really like nebula armour and I don't want to use Vortex.
Cheers for the awesome program :)
Did 1.4 change Nebula armor? I've pretty much never used it so I'm not familiar with the effects. Can you tell me how it used to work and what changed?

Last edited:
Top Bottom