PC 1.3.1.1 Hotfix

Status
Not open for further replies.
placing a player-triggered pressure plate on top of the teleporter.
Oh yeah I know about that. I was just thinking about completely hidden tepeporters, especially for map makers. I didn't know about the "double pulse" thing until Leinfors brought it up. So yeah, it does make sense though. I'm just glad that I found out about it though before I spent a bunch of time trying to figure it out why it doesn't work.
I imagine there IS some way to make an "invisible" and surreptitiously activated teleporter but I can't quite puzzle it out.

They do though. A game company should always keep in contact with the community about the games they´re making, especially smaller dev teams like Re-Logic. The last update we got was just after christmas, that was more than 4 months ago! I don´t need a trailer or even screenshots, I just need something. A regular "The develepment of Terraria: Otherworld is going smoothly". That´s it. I can wait (I am a Monster Hunter fan after all) BUT! My interest in the game is dwindling and I´m starting to get worried. Even large game companies would have made a quick trailer in that time. I will buy it regardless but my hype will not be as big. They do have an obligation to tell us what´s up and they should have done it a month ago.
. Well you just said 'I will still buy it' if you'll eventually buy the game why push for information that they don't currently want to share?

a larger team may have info quarterly but ReLogic isn't a big company, you can't hold them to that standard of production with the fraction of the staff. I also trust ReLogic in that they take their time with their development and releases and will not show things prematurely. Why would you want them to? I'll take quality over quantity any day. They are under no obligation and, I might add, serve the community WAY better than many of those big companies.

PS. New frame skip is awesome, thanks Devs! Love the release!

Thanks for the fixes guys!

I do wish you'd added some more detection options for wires in the last patch, though. I was REALLY crossing my fingers and hoping you'd add a way to detect flying creatures (such as tripwires)... :[

Last edited:
THanks for the fixes guys!

I do wish you'd added some more detection options for wires in the last patch, though. I was REALLY crossing my fingers and hoping you'd add a way to detect flying creatures (such as tripwires)... :[
Laser beam tripwires. Art thief style. Trigger if entities or blocks break line of sight between two points. Off topic sorry. Just liked the idea.

. Well you just said 'I will still buy it' if you'll eventually buy the game why push for information that they don't currently want to share?
I will buy the game because it looks awesome and I think I will have a lot of fun with it. And as I said, they don´t need to throw out a trailer. The only thing they need to do is to just say "The development on Terraria Otherworld is gong smoothly" or something like that. Giving your fans information about a new game can actually make or brake it. A quick screenshot every month and a simple assurance that everything is going smoothly (or not, which is probably the case here) can actually make the game more popular and ignite a spark in the old hype train´s engine. I love Re-Logic to bits, I played Terraria before the 1.1 update and I could never for the life of me defeat even the weak EoC. But I think that they are still new in marketing and that they need to work on that. Posting the wrong stuff at the wrong time can get you some internet hate at worst, but not posting any information can utterly destroy your game.

a larger team may have info quarterly but ReLogic isn't a big company, you can't hold them to that standard of production with the fraction of the staff. I also trust ReLogic in that they take their time with their development and releases and will not show things prematurely. Why would you want them to? I'll take quality over quantity any day. They are under no obligation and, I might add, serve the community WAY better than many of those big companies.

PS. New frame skip is awesome, thanks Devs! Love the release!
You seem to not know how the videogame industry works and not have read what I wrote (or how to reply for that matter). Of course I can hold them to that standard, just because they´re a small team does not mean that they can dodge the responsebilities of a good videogame company. And they wouldn´t show anything prematurely, a regular "the development of Terraria Otherworld is going smoothly" would do. I´m not saying that they should hurry the development of the game and give us a game not worthy of the Terraria name. I´m saying that they really need to give us some info and not keep it in the dark, and they need to do it fast. I´m saying this because I love Re-Logic, they have inspired me to do great things in the world and I want them so succeed. Keeping fans in the dark about their most anticipated project yet is the worst thing a small team like Re-Logic could do. They need to step up their game when it comes to this, they revealed Terraria OW sooner then they should have done and now they´re keeping us in the dark. This is constructive critique they need to learn from. The only thing that can hype up Terraria OW again would be a 3 minute trailer and revealing the release date, which I think they´re doing right now as they haven´t even spoken of the game in the past 5 months. That wouldn´t even be necessary if they had just posted a simple screenshot a month and then revealed the release date when they feel like they could meet it.

You seem to not know how the videogame industry works and not have read what I wrote (or how to reply for that matter). Of course I can hold them to that standard, just because they´re a small team does not mean that they can dodge the responsebilities of a good videogame company. And they wouldn´t show anything prematurely, a regular "the development of Terraria Otherworld is going smoothly" would do. I´m not saying that they should hurry the development of the game and give us a game not worthy of the Terraria name. I´m saying that they really need to give us some info and not keep it in the dark, and they need to do it fast. I´m saying this because I love Re-Logic, they have inspired me to do great things in the world and I want them so succeed. Keeping fans in the dark about their most anticipated project yet is the worst thing a small team like Re-Logic could do. They need to step up their game when it comes to this, they revealed Terraria OW sooner then they should have done and now they´re keeping us in the dark. This is constructive critique they need to learn from. The only thing that can hype up Terraria OW again would be a 3 minute trailer and revealing the release date, which I think they´re doing right now as they haven´t even spoken of the game in the past 5 months. That wouldn´t even be necessary if they had just posted a simple screenshot a month and then revealed the release date when they feel like they could meet it.

You seem to forget/not know that Otherworld is a joint project between Re-Logic and Engine. Neither the task allocation or the actual workforce of both companies are known to us. To assume Re-Logic is the main driving force of both assets and information is but a mere speculation, it may very well be that all information Re-Logic gets comes from Engine (which too is a speculation, but I'm just highlighting the possibilities here).

Also, you say Re-Logic is "keeping fans in the dark" as if they do it intentionally. That indeed is a very destructive thing to do intentionally if you have actual concrete information to share, but if you don't it is much better for a company to stay silent than giving release dates that you're not sure you can meet (or even worse, know you can't), or updates without anything 'interesting' in them (Average Joe doesn't want to hear things like "we got the background parallax working flawlessly"). Remember that this is not just general transparency, it's also a form of marketing, and doing it right or wrong makes or breaks companies.

You seem to not know how the videogame industry works and not have read what I wrote (or how to reply for that matter).
No need to be rude.
Of course I can hold them to that standard, just because they´re a small team does not mean that they can dodge the responsebilities of a good videogame company.
You try to hold them to your standard. Doesn't work that way. And why would you think they're 'dodging responsibilities'? They're been mighty nice keeping Terraria up to date with new content even though there's no obligation for them to do so. They go well beyond what most game companies would do.
And they wouldn´t show anything prematurely, a regular "the development of Terraria Otherworld is going smoothly" would do.
Sure, that'd make YOU happy, but what about the people who are then annoyed for not hearing about more details? There will be people who'd rather have not heard anything at all if "Development is going fine!" is all they would hear. There'd be people who would start whining about more details since if a dev says something like that, players can be sure there are more details to be found. And maybe the devs want to avoid that. Also, Re-Logic can never please everyone, whichever road they take.
I´m not saying that they should hurry the development of the game and give us a game not worthy of the Terraria name. I´m saying that they really need to give us some info and not keep it in the dark, and they need to do it fast. I´m saying this because I love Re-Logic, they have inspired me to do great things in the world and I want them so succeed. Keeping fans in the dark about their most anticipated project yet is the worst thing a small team like Re-Logic could do. They need to step up their game when it comes to this, they revealed Terraria OW sooner then they should have done and now they´re keeping us in the dark. This is constructive critique they need to learn from.
In my opinion you're being quite arrogant here. "...critique they need to learn from." Why, because they like doing things different? If someone doesn't abide to the/your rules of game development and whatnot they need to change their behaviour? Conform? Adapt? And what about the many game companies that develop their new games in secret, only showing results when the game is nearing completion? Or even releasing a game completely unexpected? Are they all doing it wrong? Perhaps, perhaps not, but they choose their own way to do things, and that should be respected in my opinion.
Terraria was a ball knocked straight out of the park. Could it be that they know what they're doing? I'm surely giving them a lot more credit than you do.
The only thing that can hype up Terraria OW again would be a 3 minute trailer and revealing the release date, which I think they´re doing right now as they haven´t even spoken of the game in the past 5 months. That wouldn´t even be necessary if they had just posted a simple screenshot a month and then revealed the release date when they feel like they could meet it.
There will be a trailer and a release date at some point, but it doesn't matter when this happens since people will be instantly hyped there and then. Personally I find it a lot more frustrating to learn details every week of a game I really want to play while also learning it'll take years for the game to be completed. I'd rather be left in the dark and be pleasantly surprised when the game is suddenly sitting right in front of me.
To each their own.

You seem to forget/not know that Otherworld is a joint project between Re-Logic and Engine. Neither the task allocation or the actual workforce of both companies are known to us. To assume Re-Logic is the main driving force of both assets and information is but a mere speculation, it may very well be that all information Re-Logic gets comes from Engine (which too is a speculation, but I'm just highlighting the possibilities here).

Also, you say Re-Logic is "keeping fans in the dark" as if they do it intentionally. That indeed is a very destructive thing to do intentionally if you have actual concrete information to share, but if you don't it is much better for a company to stay silent than giving release dates that you're not sure you can meet (or even worse, know you can't), or updates without anything 'interesting' in them (Average Joe doesn't want to hear things like "we got the background parallax working flawlessly"). Remember that this is not just general transparency, it's also a form of marketing, and doing it right or wrong makes or breaks companies.
Of course I know that Engine is working together with them, but that does not mean that they can´t release even the tiniest amount of info about the game. Also, the average Joe wants to see updates, even minor ones. Look at Starbound for example, I may not like the game but the devs do a fantastic job with keeping the fans informed about the game, they write something little every week, even minor things. That way, the fans see that progress is being made and notjust in a standstill. There is no excuse for not even mentioning the game for 5 months, at all. I never said that they should release trailers or photos or release dates they can´t meet, I said the exact opposite. Updates don´t have to be interesting, I want to be assured that the game is progressing steadily and that I don´t have to worry. Information is everything. Also, Redigit is working on Terraria OW, which probably means that porting and stuff is up to Engine while Re-Logic (the main ones at least) are working on the actual game.

Of course I know that Engine is working together with them, but that does not mean that they can´t release even the tiniest amount of info about the game. Also, the average Joe wants to see updates, even minor ones. Look at Starbound for example, I may not like the game but the devs do a fantastic job with keeping the fans informed about the game, they write something little every week, even minor things. That way, the fans see that progress is being made and notjust in a standstill. There is no excuse for not even mentioning the game for 5 months, at all. I never said that they should release trailers or photos or release dates they can´t meet, I said the exact opposite. Updates don´t have to be interesting, I want to be assured that the game is progressing steadily and that I don´t have to worry. Information is everything. Also, Redigit is working on Terraria OW, which probably means that porting and stuff is up to Engine while Re-Logic (the main ones at least) are working on the actual game.

But that's the problem: development can very much look like a standstill at times, and by not releasing any information you can at least hold up the impression that you're working on some big mechanic, or on some really cool artwork. If you release an update without anything big, then that's going to 'confirm' the idea that the development is at a standstill, or at least going slowly.

You said it yourself, there hasn't been a status update for over five months. So people are expecting something big, even though those five months could easily have been spent on developing mechanics (remember that this is a spin-off from Terraria, so I think it's fair to assume it's going to have most of those mechanics. "It has everything Terraria has" is not going to be a selling point, no matter how much time it takes to get that in the game), balancing, bug testing, spriting, general polishing, etc. If that's going to be the next update (without a release date), then yes, people are going to think that development is slow.

I buy CDs. That doesn't mean that I know the full process that goes into recording and producing them. The same applies to gamers.

No need to be rude.
Wasn´t meant to be rude, that´s just how I talk. I might seem stupid to talk in such a way but feelings are hard to convey on the internet.

You try to hold them to your standard. Doesn't work that way. And why would you think they're 'dodging responsibilities'? They're been mighty nice keeping Terraria up to date with new content even though there's no obligation for them to do so. They go well beyond what most game companies would do.
Sure, the release of new updates is something amazing. The fact that they could do so much with such a bad engine really goes to show that Re-Logic is an amazing development team. It´s just the whole info thing that´s the problem. Giving info to your fans is an obligation, giving updates to a game is not.

Sure, that'd make YOU happy, but what about the people who are then annoyed for not hearing about more details? There will be people who'd rather have not heard anything at all if "Development is going fine!" is all they would hear. There'd be people who would start whining about more details since if a dev says something like that, players can be sure there are more details to be found. And maybe the devs want to avoid that. Also, Re-Logic can never please everyone, whichever road they take.
That wouldn´t just make me happy, look at the Terraria OW threads and you can see a lot of people who want something, anything. Pleasing everyone is impossible. But one way they could do is just post a simple screenshot and some quick text. That would take little time, assure people that the game is progressing and give people something to chew on.

In my opinion you're being quite arrogant here. "...critique they need to learn from." Why, because they like doing things different? If someone doesn't abide to the/your rules of game development and whatnot they need to change their behaviour? Conform? Adapt? And what about the many game companies that develop their new games in secret, only showing results when the game is nearing completion? Or even releasing a game completely unexpected? Are they all doing it wrong? Perhaps, perhaps not, but they choose their own way to do things, and that should be respected in my opinion.
Terraria was a ball knocked straight out of the park. Could it be that they know what they're doing? I'm surely giving them a lot more credit than you do.
The thing they did do wrong is announce the game so early. They probably know what they are doing but the fans would never know that without info, now would they? There is not a definitive way to make games/release them properly. But there is bad ways and good ways. Do you know what could have prevented this? A simple "there will be a lack of info these upcoming months but rest assured that the game is being worked on".

There will be a trailer and a release date at some point, but it doesn't matter when this happens since people will be instantly hyped there and then. Personally I find it a lot more frustrating to learn details every week of a game I really want to play while also learning it'll take years for the game to be completed. I'd rather be left in the dark and be pleasantly surprised when the game is suddenly sitting right in front of me.
To each their own.
Don´t think that everything will be fine once they inevitably do post a trailer and release date. I have seen it happen, Mighty No9, MM legends 3, Banjo Threeie (or whatever it was called) are just some examples (maybe not the best though) of games being destroyed by the lack of info but then giving tons of info later. The game is losing attention, you can clearly see that on threads in the forum and other media. A "super" announcement will not tae back some of the people who have just given up on the game. I have spoken to some non Terraria game devs and learned a lot from them, the thing they say about releasing and hyping a game is "Don´t announce a game when you know it will take a long time for it to be released, don´t post big info every day and for the love of god, don´t keep your fans in the dark". I think I´ll just leave that there, I have had a rough day and I don´t wanna start a complete flamewar in the presence of this awesome team (HERO already did that). So don´t expect much more replies from me. Thank you and have a good day.
[doublepost=1464775702,1464775508][/doublepost]
Don´t think that everything will be fine once they inevitably do post a trailer and release date. I have seen it happen, Mighty No9, MM legends 3, Banjo Threeie (or whatever it was called) are just some examples (maybe not the best though) of games being destroyed by the lack of info but then giving tons of info later. The game is losing attention, you can clearly see that on threads in the forum and other media. A "super" announcement will not tae back some of the people who have just given up on the game. I have spoken to some non Terraria game devs and learned a lot from them, the thing they say about releasing and hyping a game is "Don´t announce a game when you know it will take a long time for it to be released, don´t post big info every day and for the love of god, don´t keep your fans in the dark". I think I´ll just leave that there, I have had a rough day and I don´t wanna start a complete flamewar in the presence of this awesome team (HERO already did that). So don´t expect much more replies from me. Thank you and have a good day.
Oh and I kinda messed up with the reply thing, My answers are below what you said in the quote thingy.

Oh yeah I know about that. I was just thinking about completely hidden tepeporters, especially for map makers. I didn't know about the "double pulse" thing until Leinfors brought it up. So yeah, it does make sense though. I'm just glad that I found out about it though before I spent a bunch of time trying to figure it out why it doesn't work.
I imagine there IS some way to make an "invisible" and surreptitiously activated teleporter but I can't quite puzzle it out.
Yeah, unfortunately it's a very difficult setup to execute, as teleporter only tends to successfully trigger on a solitary pulse. Trying to prevent a sensor from delivering a second pulse to the same teleporter (inevitably recalling you to the source) is near impossible without some advanced mechanical black magic.

@Captain Vincent lll, @Kazzymodus, @Gotcha! . . . I'm sure you all have strong feelings on the subject of Terraria: Otherworld, but please take it elsewhere if you don't mind. This thread is purely for the discussion of 1.3.1, its hotfixes, and additional progress on that front. I'd be very appreciative if we could leave it to that subject alone! :)

Hi! I found a bug. So I'm reporting it. I bought a few of those Pink Team Platforms from the Travelling Merchant and when You place a torch on them it seems to duplicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom