PC 1.3.5 is Live!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who has lag spikes every 1-2 seconds? Before the update everything was ok. I turned off the Multi-core, but still.

Am I the only one who has lag spikes every 1-2 seconds? Before the update everything was ok. I turned off the Multi-core, but still.

Are you on Windows 10? The Creator's Update that just hit the other day seems to have caused this. I've been playing mostly modded lately, which has some slowdown/fps dips anyway, but I too have noticed some strange freezes every few seconds from time to time. It hasn't been continuous/permanent for me though.

I read that they are looking into a fix for that.

Are you on Windows 10? The Creator's Update that just hit the other day seems to have caused this. I've been playing mostly modded lately, which has some slowdown/fps dips anyway, but I too have noticed some strange freezes every few seconds from time to time. It hasn't been continuous/permanent for me though.

I read that they are looking into a fix for that.

Yes, I'm on w10, but I haven't updated since 2 or 3 months

Last edited:
Where is the download for the update? And if no one answers, well...
:mad:
OH COME ON! WHY DOES EVERYONE IGNORE ME?
NOTICE ME!

Last edited:
Good afternoon again everyone!

Another list of fixes, and a small pair of features are going live in our 2nd hotfix for 1.3.5!
Stuff

Any chance that the weird auto-fire cancellation due to hovering over an active buff icon (Guns, lasers, gun lasers, etc will stop firing when mouse is moved over a buff icon on top left) will be fixed? Or is it intentional? I noticed that they don't fire at all when over any active buff icon, so maybe it's intentional...?

I think I saw you giving me a like on Cenx's profile about that unobtainable fountain. Wiki have a GIF images.
Don't remember it. I'll check the wiki!
[doublepost=1492837317,1492837279][/doublepost]
Generally "improved visuals" refers to sprite updates via @Lazure. Sometimes they are complete overhauls, sometimes they are outline recolors to improve consistency.

I know in this one, he made some adjustments to the Parrot sprite, for instance, but I don't know what else exactly. Oh, and of course, the new Housing Banners!
Sounds good! Improved / new sprites are always cool to see :)

I had my fingers crossed this update would somehow fix Terraria refusing to run smoothly on my new system, but no luck. I was fairly optimistic, since perhaps the problem was caused by moving up to a higher resolution monitor, and surely 4k support would cover my mere 2560 x 1440 screen. However that must not be the issue, because as usual, the framerate is at the very least 60fps, (if not higher depending on different frame skip options,) but there's a weird hitch every couple frames that makes it run annoyingly choppy despite having a consistently excellent framerate. It gets better outside my base, implying my PC is overwhelmed or something, (though contradicted by how the reported frame rate is the same either way,) but that doesn't make sense since this PC is an upgrade in every regard over the last system. The nearly four year old predecessor ran everything perfectly smoothly no matter how much was going on, so it's got to be a technical issue or conflict rather than a simple hardware shortfall on this new PC. Plus, this new PC has ran every other game significantly better than its predecessor as well, so there's that too.

The problem has been the same since January, so while it might be a Windows 10 thing, it's definitely not a Creator's Update-related issue. (Though I do suspect that going from a system running Windows 7 and then Windows 10 upgraded from 7, to a system with a fresh new never-upgraded Windows 10 might be the key difference. Like perhaps some old Windows 7 holdover stuff was responsible for it working well before, but that's gone now that I'm on a system with a fresh new Windows 10 installation. I know for a fact that's the reason an old piece of hardware quit working with my new system, at least - an upgraded Windows 10 is definitely not quite the same thing as a fresh Windows 10.) And for what it's worth, the choppiness is the same whether the game is windowed or full-screen or whatever resolution I try. Only settings that seem to help at all are Frame Skip options, with "subtle" coming the closest to consistently smooth gameplay. On that setting the game isn't so choppy it's unplayable by any means, but it is still annoying. Especially since with Frame Skip set to Off, I get a framerate around 120, which would probably look extra nice and silky smooth if it didn't also get so horribly choppy for whatever reason. Best I can figure is that for some reason, the rate at which the game is running and the rate that frames are getting displayed just won't quite line up right, or something along those lines.

Oh well, this update didn't add much content anyway, so it's not like a solution is super pressing. I'll just go back to hoping for a solution by the time there's an update that warrants some serious play time again.

Any chance that the weird auto-fire cancellation due to hovering over an active buff icon (Guns, lasers, gun lasers, etc will stop firing when mouse is moved over a buff icon on top left) will be fixed? Or is it intentional? I noticed that they don't fire at all when over any active buff icon, so maybe it's intentional...?

@Yumei, as I understand it, its more or less expected functionality.

You aren't supposed to use items when mousing over buff icons, because they are interactible. Thus, they block other inputs. The fact that they also block auto-use items is not so much a bug, as perhaps it isn't necessarily ideal. Yes, they are supposed to block inputs, but perhaps it could be done better.

However, there may be coding limitations which make this difficult to adjust, so I can't say for certain. I'll speak to the coders about it, but I don't consider it a bug at this time. (which isn't to say it won't be changed)

I had my fingers crossed this update would somehow fix Terraria refusing to run smoothly on my new system, but no luck. I was fairly optimistic, since perhaps the problem was caused by moving up to a higher resolution monitor, and surely 4k support would cover my mere 2560 x 1440 screen. However that must not be the issue, because as usual, the framerate is at the very least 60fps, (if not higher depending on different frame skip options,) but there's a weird hitch every couple frames that makes it run annoyingly choppy despite having a consistently excellent framerate. It gets better outside my base, implying my PC is overwhelmed or something, (though contradicted by how the reported frame rate is the same either way,) but that doesn't make sense since this PC is an upgrade in every regard over the last system. The nearly four year old predecessor ran everything perfectly smoothly no matter how much was going on, so it's got to be a technical issue or conflict rather than a simple hardware shortfall on this new PC. Plus, this new PC has ran every other game significantly better than its predecessor as well, so there's that too.

The problem has been the same since January, so while it might be a Windows 10 thing, it's definitely not a Creator's Update-related issue. (Though I do suspect that going from a system running Windows 7 and then Windows 10 upgraded from 7, to a system with a fresh new never-upgraded Windows 10 might be the key difference. Like perhaps some old Windows 7 holdover stuff was responsible for it working well before, but that's gone now that I'm on a system with a fresh new Windows 10 installation. I know for a fact that's the reason an old piece of hardware quit working with my new system, at least - an upgraded Windows 10 is definitely not quite the same thing as a fresh Windows 10.) And for what it's worth, the choppiness is the same whether the game is windowed or full-screen or whatever resolution I try. Only settings that seem to help at all are Frame Skip options, with "subtle" coming the closest to consistently smooth gameplay. On that setting the game isn't so choppy it's unplayable by any means, but it is still annoying. Especially since with Frame Skip set to Off, I get a framerate around 120, which would probably look extra nice and silky smooth if it didn't also get so horribly choppy for whatever reason. Best I can figure is that for some reason, the rate at which the game is running and the rate that frames are getting displayed just won't quite line up right, or something along those lines.

Oh well, this update didn't add much content anyway, so it's not like a solution is super pressing. I'll just go back to hoping for a solution by the time there's an update that warrants some serious play time again.
Is your monitor's refresh rate set to 60Hz? I have noticed that setting it to something else causes choppiness.
Terraria is running smoothly on my system, so I don't think it's Terraria itself that's at fault.

"Potentially fixed an issue where Marathon Medalist would cause FPS drops"

This still happens to me and I can not play (Google Translation)

Is your monitor's refresh rate set to 60Hz? I have noticed that setting it to something else causes choppiness.
Terraria is running smoothly on my system, so I don't think it's Terraria itself that's at fault.

Thanks for taking the time to help. As it happens my new monitor has never been at 60Hz since trying Terraria on it, but rather 165Hz. But my old monitor on my old system that ran Terraria fine was a standard 60Hz monitor, so that seemed like a good lead. So I went ahead and set the new monitor to 60Hz, fired up Terraria, and... it was even choppier, regardless of what Frame Skip option I chose. And what's more, it was even tearing really badly, which hadn't been a problem otherwise. So thanks for the suggestion, but it looks like changing my monitor's refresh rate to 60Hz isn't the fix. Which is just as well in a way, since my dual-monitor setup didn't like changing the main monitor's refresh rate. It would have been a pain to redo the settings related to main monitor and so on every single time I wanted to play Terraria.

In any case though, I don't think it's Terraria that's at fault here, I doubt it's doing something just plain wrong. I just think something about Terraria isn't quite meshing with something else about my current system. In which case, something somewhere needs to change, and since Google hasn't helped me figure out what to do on my end, Terraria updates making the needed change are my best hope.

Just updated my Linux server to 1.3.5.2, console input is broken by seemingly random Chinese characters now. The console output is English, but anything I type is converted to Chinese characters for some reason including the Return key which is bizarre, so I can't type or execute server commands. Server works fine besides, but not being able to save manually is an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom