PC 1.3.6 Backgrounds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, the mountains background look weird. The grass doesn't match the background 's grass in colour and the mountains are just straight up grey, whereas most mountains still have grass on them. If there's going to be more stone mountains in the future that are added to world generation, I'd say it would fit wonderfully, but until then, I'd say change the colours. Great job on the backgrounds, artists! Always keep up the good work!
I think that's what I was struggling to put into words. The coloring seems way off.

Will the old backgrounds be completely removed? I know I'll be sad to see the old floating island forest background go.
I do hope the old backgrounds stay as well. New background(s) on one side of the world, old background(s) on the other side. They can still be randomised so each world has different backgrounds in different locations. Plus it'd be a shame to see the effort put into old backgrounds go to waste!

I do hope the old backgrounds stay as well. New background(s) on one side of the world, old background(s) on the other side. They can still be randomised so each world has different backgrounds in different locations. Plus it'd be a shame to see the effort put into old backgrounds go to waste!
I highly doubt that the old backgrounds will go away. The game always had a variety of backgrounds!

These are awsome. Seeing the mountains in the background looks cool. I wish they make a new biome or add to biomes to go with the new background

The dev team has been working hard on 1.3.6 and the artists shared some of the new backgrounds on Twitter recently, so I've put them all together for you here! You can click the image for a link to their original tweet and make sure to give them a follow ;)
A new look for the Mushroom Biome from @Crowno

Forest background by @Jimmarn

And The Hallow by @Lazure

There isn't a release date yet but we are super excited to continue sharing bits and pieces of 1.3.6 while it comes together! Thanks :)
Thats so pretty, its hipnotising.

There seems to be a few people who don't seem to like the colour change in the forest biome background, but honestly I don't see a problem with it.
While Having the brighter, cooler green would blend nicely with the foreground, let me take it the other way.
Sometimes, this game can strain my eyes when trying to take in what's happening to my character, or trying to tell what's collision and what's not. The subtle bit of contrast can be a big deal when it comes visibility.

On that note, I'd like to see some other changes to help with that in mind.
One of the most notable examples for me is the demon ruins in the Underworld. It is not very clear what is collision and what is not, due to the lack of contrast between the obsidian bricks and walls.

There seems to be a few people who don't seem to like the colour change in the forest biome background, but honestly I don't see a problem with it.
While Having the brighter, cooler green would blend nicely with the foreground, let me take it the other way.
Sometimes, this game can strain my eyes when trying to take in what's happening to my character, or trying to tell what's collision and what's not. The subtle bit of contrast can be a big deal when it comes visibility.

On that note, I'd like to see some other changes to help with that in mind.
One of the most notable examples for me is the demon ruins in the Underworld. It is not very clear what is collision and what is not, due to the lack of contrast between the obsidian bricks and walls.
"Contrast" should be the background having more shading and slightly darker coloring than the foreground. Not putting an olive-green background against a neon-lime foreground.

This is a nitpick from a pixel artist, but the forest background doesn't seem to have much depth. It's hard to get a sense of the depth of the mountain from a glance. It just looks like a grey blob.

"Contrast" should be the background having more shading and slightly darker coloring than the foreground. Not putting an olive-green background against a neon-lime foreground.

Contrast does not mean any of this. Contrast is the difference between the light and dark colors, be it drastic or subtle. The contrast is perfectly fine.

This is a nitpick from a pixel artist, but the forest background doesn't seem to have much depth. It's hard to get a sense of the depth of the mountain from a glance. It just looks like a grey blob.

Contrast does not mean any of this. Contrast is the difference between the light and dark colors, be it drastic or subtle. The contrast is perfectly fine.
I said what it should be, not what it is.

The forest background is weird, the grass color and tree types doesn't match, and in the background, the terrain have more stone than grass, while the forest biome have more grass than stone.
If there was a mountain biome the background would be perfect, but with the forest biome it feels weird.
The mushroom biome and hallow biome backgrounds look nice, tho.

These are great! I’ll be exited to see these when they come out. Terraria doesn’t get many updates, but when it does, they’re always big!:)

A lot of the time, that just doesn't cut it with Terraria. That's why when you put a Wall variant and a block variant of the same tile next to each other, it often looks like trash. A prime example is Luminite bricks. The difference in contrast is completely negligible. There's nothing that set's them apart.

Some sets that are a more ideal form of contrast include Pearlwood with Pearlwood wall, and Meteorite Brick with Meteorite Brick wall. There are things that set these versions apart to give players a better understanding of what is collision and what is not.
[doublepost=1535895082,1535894892][/doublepost]

Now that I look at it again, I feel like it could benefit from more paralax.

A lot of the time, that just doesn't cut it with Terraria. That's why when you put a Wall variant and a block variant of the same tile next to each other, it often looks like trash. A prime example is Luminite bricks. The difference in contrast is completely negligible. There's nothing that set's them apart.

Some sets that are a more ideal form of contrast include Pearlwood with Pearlwood wall, and Meteorite Brick with Meteorite Brick wall. There are things that set these versions apart to give players a better understanding of what is collision and what is not.
[doublepost=1535895082,1535894892][/doublepost]

Now that I look at it again, I feel like it could benefit from more paralax.
We'll have to see it in action. It's not that bad, it just needs work.

I like the mushroom background and the hollow background.
I think the background in the game right now that could use the most improvement is the crimson background though.
My favorite background currently is the one with the sky islands with rivers flowing off them.
I also really like the underworld background a lot and following the ideas introduced with that one for the new backgrounds would be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom