[PC] Beating Up the Eater of Worlds in Expert Mode.

Try this strategy. Did you find it useful ?

• Yes. Thanks for this guide !

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • No. I still have trouble because [Tell why].

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Chocosta

Paladin
Bonjour/Bonswar, Guys and Girls !

Tired of failing to kill the Eater of Worlds ?
Angered by the Overpowered Vile Spits ?
Crying because this trick is too strong for you ?

Well here and now I'll show you how to kill it the easy way !

1) Preparation

Because you absolutely need to do it !

• Have a character with at least 300 HP. This is recommended by me but you can do it with one that has 240 or 260 HP (If I did it, why not you ?). It's risky trying with 200 HP but it might work if you are really skilled/confident/out of your mind ;
  • Have at least 15 BASE Defense, you can do it through armor and accessories (Reforge if Goblin is in the town) ;
  • Grab a hook, any hook is fine, I did it with fish and slime hooks ;
  • Also grab a BUNCH of shurikens (Nothing else is required) ;
  • Using any METEO in a Bottle works as well as the Rocket/Spectre boots ;
  • Consider having a cooked fish, 2-3 Ironskin, Regeneration and Swiftness potions EACH because this fight is quite long ;
  • Make an arena that looks like the one below (Don't forget the Heart Lantern or at least the Campfires ) :
EoW Arena.png

2) Fighting

Because that's why you're here, right ?

Keep in mind the boss itself doesn't hurt that much. you'll want to avoid his vile spits that deal around 50 damage(Got nerfed since 1-2 small updates more and his head or body. That's why the boxes are here !
  • Hide behind the boxes as much as you can. the vile spits don't go through blocks so they are really useful ;
  • Always aim for the head, you don't want to have to handle multiple small Eaters at once, and you cannot dodge everything at once ;
  • When the Worm digs through one of the boxes, and you have to dodge, be careful ! The vile spits can now hit you easily. Destroy them with some shurikens to avoid losing too many HP in the process ;
  • When you are in the situation above, move. Just move. With the Hook and your Double Jump try reaching These Platforms before he traps you in his body and starts slaughtering you (And you don't want to take too many vile spits in the face) ;
  • Even if he has like 5-10 segments left, don't let your guard down, he can still kill you. I can tell you about it ...
  • Don't forget to drink again when the buffs go out. don't make the mistake that lead me once to the 50 HP limit (And death another time...)
3) Make your fight easier : Items that can help a lot

Now that we are done with the 2 sections above, let's take a look at my stuff when I killed it again :
IT IS DED.jpg
As you can see, I have no armor But I have x2 warding and x1 armored accessories to compensate for 16 BASE defense so I'm ok.

Now the items that can help you make it easier :

Shield_of_Cthulhu.png
Shield of Cthulhu : If you already killed the Eye, this item can be useful to escape the EoW bodyblock or to deal more damage to the head when it comes towards you.

Fuzzy_Carrot.png
Mount_Bunny.png
Fuzzy Carrot/Bunny Mount : Why a mount and why especially the bunny ?
First, It's easy to obtain (Complete 5 fishing quests) and second, if you can handle multiple keys at once, you should be able to use it to avoid potential fall damage when you fly too high or fall off the arena (I don't know if the other mounts grant immunity to fall damage).

Shark_Tooth_Necklace.png
Shark Tooth Necklace : Dropped by the Blood Moon monsters, this necklace allows your shurikens to deal even more damage. You cannot neglect it.

Slime_Staff.png
Baby_Slime_Minion.png
Slime Staff : Although you REALLY must have some luck to get the slime staff from almost any slime, this slime is a pain in the Worm's butt. The slime becomes even stronger with the Shark Tooth Necklace equiped. But de-summon it when some of the segments are heavily damaged because the slime can unitentionally split the Worm in multiples smaller worms (And you want to avoid that at all costs).

WaterBolt.png
Water_Bolt.png
Waterbolt : How did I manage to forget this weapon ? This is probably the best thing against the EoW and you can almost ignore the safety rules above. However, close the arena to make the projectiles bounce back to the Worm. Thanks to @Snibob for reminding me of this item !

And many more items that can help such as Arkhalis, Star Cannon if you found meteorite,

4) Conclusion

I hope this guide will help you beat the Eater of Worlds in Expert Mode,
Then again, I want your opinion about this guide and know if you managed to easily kill it.
And finally, Thanks for, at least, having read this until the end.
Because It may not be seriously needed to get someone to post a guide after all (Meaning I made some useless stuff which is completly necessary).

Anyway, see you on the Terraria Forums !

Last edited:
Thanks! This strategy worked out really well for me :D

Every other time I tried to do this without using this strategy, well, got torn in half by a billion vile spits :/

Bonjour/Bonswar, Guys and Girls !

Tired of failing to kill the Eater of Worlds ?
Angered by the Overpowered Vile Spits ?
Crying because this trick is too strong for you ?

Well here and now I'll show you how to kill it the easy way !

BEFORE WE START :
I'll keep the screenshots full size, don't make me change my mind because it can help you a bit, thanks. Now let's get into it !

1) Preparation

Because you absolutely need to do it !

• Have a character with at least 300 HP. This is recommended by me but you can do it with one that has 240 or 260 HP (If I did it, why not you ?). It's risky trying with 200 HP but it might work if you are really skilled/confident/out of your mind ;
  • Have at least 15 BASE Defense, you can do it through armor and accessories (Reforge if Goblin is in the town) ;
  • Grab a hook, any hook is fine, I did it with fish and slime hooks ;
  • Also grab a BUNCH of shurikens (Nothing else is required) ;
  • Using any METEO in a Bottle works as well as the Rocket/Spectre boots ;
  • Consider having a cooked fish, 2-3 Ironskin, Regeneration and Swiftness potions EACH because this fight is quite long ;
  • Make an arena that looks like the one below (Don't forget the Heart Lantern or at least the Campfires ) :
View attachment 60481
I'll get to the big boxes utility in the fighting section.
Also don't make the arena and the boxes too big.

2) Fighting

Because that's why you're here, right ?

Keep in mind the boss itself doesn't hurt that much. you'll want to avoid his vile spits that deal around 50 damage more and his head or body. That's why the boxes are here !
  • Hide behind the boxes as much as you can. the vile spits don't go through blocks so they are really useful ;
  • Always aim for the head, you don't want to have to handle multiple small Eaters at once, and you cannot dodge everything at once ;
  • When the Worm digs through one of the boxes, and you have to dodge, be careful ! The vile spits can now hit you easily. Destroy them with some shurikens to avoid losing too many HP in the process ;
  • When you are in the situation above, move. Just move. With the Hook and your Double Jump try reaching These Platforms before he traps you in his body and starts slaughtering you (And you don't want to take too many vile spits in the face) ;
  • Even if he has like 5-10 segments left, don't let your guard down, he can still kill you. Here is what happens when I did this :
View attachment 60478
I lost 100 hp in one second only, That's why you should really be careful at anytime.
  • Don't forget to drink again when the buffs go out. don't make the mistake that lead me once to the 50 HP bar.
3) Make your fight easier : Items that can help a lot

nOW THAT WE;;; Oops sorry let me do it again.

Now that we are done with the 2 sections above, let's take a look at my stuff when I killed it again :
View attachment 60482
As you can see, I have no armor But I have x2 warding and x1 armored accessories to compensate for 14 BASE defense so I'm ok.

Now the items that can help you make it easier :

Shield_of_Cthulhu.png
Shield of Cthulhu : If you already killed the Eye, this item can be useful to escape the EoW bodyblock or to deal more damage to the head when it comes towards you.

Fuzzy_Carrot.png
Mount_Bunny.png
Fuzzy Carrot/Bunny Mount : Why a mount and why especially the bunny ?
First, It's easy to obtain (Complete 5 fishing quests) and second, if you can handle multiple keys at once, you should be able to use it to avoid potential fall damage when you fly too high or fall off the arena (I don't know if the other mounts grant immunity to fall damage).

Shark_Tooth_Necklace.png
Shark Tooth Necklace : Dropped by the Blood Moon monsters, this necklace allows your shurikens to deal even more damage. You cannot neglect it.

Slime_Staff.png
Baby_Slime_Minion.png
Slime Staff : Although you REALLY must have some luck to get the slime staff from almost any slime, this slime is a pain in the Worm''s butt. The slime become even stronger with the Shark Tooth Necklace equiped. But de-summon it when some of the segments are heavily damaged because the slime can unitentionally split the Worm in multiples smaller worms (And you want to avoid that at all costs).

4) Conclusion

Because I'm sure you're now tired of seeing this being so long and boring (I hate you so much :dryadmad:).

The character I play is female but I'm not. So any seducing attempt will not work, (Sorry Guys for ruining your dreams :p).

Then, I hope this guide will help you beat the Eater of Worlds in Expert Mode,
Then again, I want your opinion about this guide and know if you managed to easily kill it (the Poll is here for that).
And finally, Thanks for, at least, having read this until the end.
Because It may not be seriously needed to get someone to post a guide after all (Meaning I made some useless stuff).

Anyway, see you on the Terraria Forums !

P.S : have some :joy: - I mean BAGUETTE :
View attachment 60485View attachment 60486View attachment 60487
(I'm sorry for this Guys and Girls)
Nice guide!

Nice guide!

Thanks a lot for these small words !
At first I was a bit afraid only me was able to win with this strategy but apparently you guys find this useful :)
To be honest, I found the boxes idea completly at random. I wanted to make an artificial corruption biome to try getting the worm.
That's how we do it : we watch and learn.

Thanks a lot for these small words !
At first I was a bit afraid only me was able to win with this strategy but apparently you guys find this useful :)
To be honest, I found the boxes idea completly at random. I wanted to make an artificial corruption biome to try getting the worm.
That's how we do it : we watch and learn.
Yeah, the only time I leave long messages are rants

A really good weapon to use is the Medusa Head. When fully charged it does pretty good damage, and it will hit all of the segments within it's range.

This is extremely over complex. you way over prepared for that fight. Go to a dungeon early on and get a water bolt. mythical is the best modifier so if you want to make some more worlds untill you get a mythical water bolt from the dungeon. by that I mean the books up at the top of the entrance, just smash them untill you get it. make a big box, put a campfire in. make sure you have atleast tungsten or silver armour. some cooked fish for the well fed buff. an iron skin potion. and lots of mana potions and some health potions. spawn him in dodge and spam water bolt, it will bounce multiple times doing so much damage he will die extremely quickly :p

Doing this underground is a much better idea, it doesn't shoot vile spit (or whatever) while underground and if you have a waterbolt, vile thorn, or at least a decent sword the fights pretty much over

A really good weapon to use is the Medusa Head. When fully charged it does pretty good damage, and it will hit all of the segments within it's range.
I don't have the medusa head yet, but I heard medusa HURTS, so I'd better check the granite/marble stuff by myself and see if the thing works.
This is extremely over complex. you way over prepared for that fight. Go to a dungeon early on and get a water bolt. mythical is the best modifier so if you want to make some more worlds untill you get a mythical water bolt from the dungeon. by that I mean the books up at the top of the entrance, just smash them untill you get it. make a big box, put a campfire in. make sure you have atleast tungsten or silver armour. some cooked fish for the well fed buff. an iron skin potion. and lots of mana potions and some health potions. spawn him in dodge and spam water bolt, it will bounce multiple times doing so much damage he will die extremely quickly :p
We are never overprepared against an expert mode boss. But, as I said, having around 250 and 15 Armor is enough to win.
I totally forgot about the waterbolt. This is indeed a good weapon against the EoW but on 20 worlds I got like 2-3 Waterbolts, bad ones. I must have no luck :(.
Moreover, the mana pots can end up costing much more than a thousand shurikens.
Doing this underground is a much better idea, it doesn't shoot vile spit (or whatever) while underground and if you have a waterbolt, vile thorn, or at least a decent sword the fights pretty much over
Even tought going underground could be a good idea, it takes a little time to build a proper underground waterbolt Arena. As said earlier by Snibob, building a giant box on the surface is good enough.

I'll update the thread whenever I am on my computer.

I don't have the medusa head yet, but I heard medusa HURTS, so I'd better check the granite/marble stuff by myself and see if the thing works.

We are never overprepared against an expert mode boss. But, as I said, having around 250 and 15 Armor is enough to win.
I totally forgot about the waterbolt. This is indeed a good weapon against the EoW but on 20 worlds I got like 2-3 Waterbolts, bad ones. I must have no luck :(.
Moreover, the mana pots can end up costing much more than a thousand shurikens.

Even tought going underground could be a good idea, it takes a little time to build a proper underground waterbolt Arena. As said earlier by Snibob, building a giant box on the surface is good enough.

I'll update the thread whenever I am on my computer.

I didn't say you bought the mana pots, by the time I'd killed eye of cthulu even I had over 30 mana pots from just looting chests :p that's all you need for the eater of worlds. and you can useally get 1-3 water bolts in 1 dungeon if you look hard enough. without going to far do so that the dungeon guardian kills you

Small update to include the Waterbolt, as @Snibob said. Thanks a lot !

------------------------------------
I didn't say you bought the mana pots, by the time I'd killed eye of cthulu even I had over 30 mana pots from just looting chests
There are 3 ways to get mana pots :
-Dungeon
-Buying
-Crafting
You cannot get them from a chest ; you must be mistaken on the item you were thinking about.

Um...what about the slime mount that can bounce on him forever, makes fighting him underground EXTREMELY easy, ESPECIALLY since you can't get hurt by vile spit if you land on it, and he needs to attack you from the sides or top to even hurt you. The Minecarts can help too, due to them doing damage, you can make an infinite bouncing short track that'll just kill him fast, assuming you have campfires, possibly heart lanturns, THE DRYAD HELPS (as does the nurse), honey if you have it, and ESPECIALLY unholy arrows. Arkhalis is good, but i found tight spaces to make the fight easier since you only need to watch the map to see where he's coming from and most of his shots are blocked by terrain. OH! and forgot vilethorn and ball o hurt, as well as most of the gem staffs and wand of sparking. and ninja armor could be a good thing to try to go for first, or even fossil armor (if you get a reaver shark), then there's spear/trident, it's possible to get a yoyo stuck between his segments doing MASSIVE damage, there's so many ways you haven't posted

Last edited:
Um...what about the slime mount that can bounce on him forever, makes fighting him underground EXTREMELY easy, ESPECIALLY since you can't get hurt by vile spit if you land on it, and he needs to attack you from the sides or top to even hurt you. The Minecarts can help too, due to them doing damage, you can make an infinite bouncing short track that'll just kill him fast, assuming you have campfires, possibly heart lanturns, THE DRYAD HELPS (as does the nurse), honey if you have it, and ESPECIALLY unholy arrows. Arkhalis is good, but i found tight spaces to make the fight easier since you only need to watch the map to see where he's coming from and most of his shots are blocked by terrain. OH! and forgot vilethorn and ball o hurt, as well as most of the gem staffs and wand of sparking. and ninja armor could be a good thing to try to go for first, or even fossil armor (if you get a reaver shark), then there's spear/trident, it's possible to get a yoyo stuck between his segments doing MASSIVE damage, there's so many ways you haven't posted
There are many ways but the one I suggest doesnt take too much time, the slime mount and ninja gear can take time to get, especially early on (Well you can say slime staff too), plus I think about fighting the boss on an arena, not underground.
Vilethorn is something I forgot about and could be a weapon of choice (where my head at)
I wouldn't recommend using a minecart since you only have 15 armor : You take heavy damage and can't stand staying at close range for too long, cannot dodge/destroy every single spit and all the honey in the world won't help you get all your life back. This is also why I don't use Flail-like weapons and spears.

I don't remember what Arkhalis is.. Isn't it that Superfast Sword that doesn't actually work as a swinging weapon ? In that case, of course, if you are lucky you can just take on the EoW with 100hp and no armor (actually forget about the last part of this sentence).
Reaver shark into fossil armor, same problem as Arkhalis, you need luck and time.

But you just made me think about how badly organized this last part of the guide is. I'll redo this part when I get my comp back, which might not be before a short-to-average time.
Feedback is always appreciated, thanks for it (and sorry if you felt like you eyes were bleeding when you were watching this guide).

Minecarts up your defense, BTW. Jumping can be used to dodge attacks, Slime crown is only 5 Gold/ Platinum bars and a single ruby, along with just 20 gel. Farming King Slime can be a great way to get the slime staff too. Slimy Saddle is relatively common (surprisingly so, at 50% chance), each time you beat him, you are absolutely assured you'll get one piece of the ninja gear, and even a single piece of it can be vital to victory, as well as the fact you can get the slime hook with a 50% chance. Arkhalis is the secret sword that you get by
breaking enchanted shrine, indicated by a long single block shaft, and occur 1 time in small worlds, 2 times in medium worlds, and 4 times in large worlds. there is a 2/3 chance it'll be a fake sword, and if it's a real sword, it has a 1/10 chance to be arkhalis, so per large world, there's a 2/15 (~13%) chance to get it without being lucky enough to find one outside a shrine
. also, [insert type here] in a balloon and obsidian/lucky horseshoes and [insert color here] horseshoe balloons are also great item choices (considering you include the grind-worthy sharktooth necklace)
[DOUBLEPOST=1449092549,1449092440][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, most the time, I get a Reaver Shark within 10 or so enchanted nightcrawlers, along with tons or well fed items, crates, at least one sawtooth shark, and the also-great item that is the swordfish
[DOUBLEPOST=1449092679][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, space gun pierces well, and blade of grasses HUGE range can warent the time it takes in the jungle to obtain it, as it allows attacking several segments at once, and the backswing helps protect against most vilespit
[DOUBLEPOST=1449092838][/DOUBLEPOST]oh, and don't forget endurance potions and wrath potions for damage and defense, gravitation potions are good for dodging if you can get used to how they work since 1.3, and having two pure grass blocks with a sunflower on it can REALLY help dodging, and star in a bottle can help mana users, also, ancient shadow can help immensely
[DOUBLEPOST=1449093026][/DOUBLEPOST]The spears are good because they allow 360, mid-ranged damage that can help destroy what vilespit you can't dodge

Ok Ok I get it.
Geez, what's your problem with double posts ? :)

Anyway, I'll try to respond to any of them

Slime Crown cost got reduced ?
In that case, I'll take back what I said, Of course, let's get the ninja gear, although I'm not into the slime saddle because I have an arena and I want to "stick" to it.
I miss Terraria (don't have my comp since 3-4 months which can affect my memory about items in the game, god)
------------------
Depending on how much defense, the minecart gives, why not, but I'm still not into it because I already have my arena and I want to grapple safefully to it.
----------------
Of course boots and balloons go without saying but you usually haven't defeated the goblin army yet to combine the items.
Notice I couldn't find something I wasn't into this time.
---------------
Space gun either requires either a nightmare(or gold ?) pick to mine the blocks or a dank load of explosives which I'm not really into since I like/lack my money and I want to keep it for something else.
----------------
Actually, I do use explosives to blow 'em up but that's when I don't have my obsidian skull. In any case, I'm not really into the space gun because the laser isn't subject to gravity, which is sad when the worm comes from below.
-----------------
For endurance and wrath potions, Totally yes but depends on luck of finding them in a chest unless you can get the right fishes early in the game (I don't remember the biome you fish the specific ones) In any case I cannot not be into it. The only problem is the time it takes :/
-----------
I'm not into magic, that's all for magic part.
Seriously, tell me what magic item can kill it hella fast (I already see you coming with waterbolt).
-----------
Also, NOT THE SPEARS !
I'm not the best player and I don't use spears for the fact there is a moment I can just not defend myself from any side but the one I've been facing.
To end with the spears, I'm not into them.
---------------
Sunflowers? I already use them. I'm into it.
Same goes for the Sharktooth Necklace, good one.

You get more than enough bombs and tnt in chests, gold pickaxe works as well as the platinum, tungsten, and bone pickaxes, also, nevermind on the defense for the minecart, only the mech MC does it. If you have 200+ life, the goblins are fairly likely the next day (I think like a 1/3 for a first invasion after you get 200+ life), bombs and TNT are dirt cheap, ESPECIALLY with pinkies and the fact that selling caught animals is a GOLDMINE (like 5 silver each, 10 gold for a gold animal). Meteorite armor makes the space gun infinite, and the gun pierces. It's practically made for worm. Wrath is a fish in the corruption (just make platforms above to catch the eaters so they don't kill ya, I'm pretty sure they can't go down through platforms), Endurance is ANYWHERE IN THE UNDERGROUND OR BELOW!! SUPER EASY TO CATCH FISH since underground lakes are decently common. The magic staves and wand of sparking all pierce, the latter of which causes fire damage. Diamond staff (8 diamond and 10 platinum bars, the diamonds can usually be found in a single vein. they have abnormally large veins compared to other gems for some reason) pierces like 3 or 4 times. Jungle Pants, Magic Hat, and Diamond Robe is the set I use for mage runs all the way until I get either Paladium, Mythril, Adamantite, or Titanium. It gives decent defense and CRAZY mana (140 extra I believe?). The Swordfish is a fast enough spear that there's enough time to see the vile spit and hit it, even if you're already in swing.

Eater of worlds?
Sigh, to be honest, he still is a failure of a boss. I beat him by facetanking. Just make sure you have at least silver armor 200HP and a harpoon, break the orb, grapple the cieling of the small orb cave, pop ironskin, regeneration and maybe endurance then just abuse invincibly frames and the fact that the worm cant shoot the spit trough blocks by facetanking him in that tiny hole. Heal as you need it.
And i did that before the spit nerf (couldnt do it otherwise cause effing OP spit).

Eater of worlds?
Sigh, to be honest, he still is a failure of a boss. I beat him by facetanking. Just make sure you have at least silver armor 200HP and a harpoon, break the orb, grapple the cieling of the small orb cave, pop ironskin, regeneration and maybe endurance then just abuse invincibly frames and the fact that the worm cant shoot the spit trough blocks by facetanking him in that tiny hole. Heal as you need it.
And i did that before the spit nerf (couldnt do it otherwise cause effing OP spit).
What about Molitovs? i'm sure that those must absolutely decimate him >.>

Back
Top Bottom