Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Capture.PNG

after I log off for the night and come back the next day my terraria saves become corrupt and none of the backups work this is really annoying and i've had to restart several times because of this bug how do I fix it?

I've had exactly the same problem. PLEASE how do you fix this, iv'e put over 100 hours into my character already and don't want to lose it.

Here, I found a fix for it, at least this worked for me. I found it in another forum:

The game keeps backups of your save files, you just have to know how to revert them. Here's how you fix a corrupt file:

1. Go to your My Documents/My Games/Terraria folder, and enter the Players or Worlds folder depending on which one is corrupt.

2. Make a backup of the entire folder just in case.

3. Delete the corrupt .plr or .wld file. DO NOT delete the accompanying .plr.bak or .wld.bak file; you will need this. Be aware that your OS may omit some file extensions, depending on how you have it set. The file type of the file you delete should be "PLR File" or "Terraria World File".

4. Copy the .plr.bak or .wld.bak file with the same filename somewhere else, then remove the .bak extension. Again, be aware that it may not be shown, in which case you might have to go into your control panel to change that. It should now be a .plr or .wld file identical to the one you deleted.

5. Move the new .plr or .wld file back to your Players or Worlds folder.

6. Run the game. You should now be able to access your character or world. It might be an older version, but it's better than starting from scratch.

A better solution is to keep backups of all your save files just in case something like this happens. If you haven't been doing that, then you should start doing it as soon as you get the problem fixed.

-

And yes I do have TModloader

Were either of you using Cloud saving functionality on your characters that are breaking?

If so:
1. Go to your steam installation directory, then userdata/<your steam ID number>/105600/remote This should contain all your cloud files in Player and World folders.
A. If they're here, copy them to another directory (a folder on your Desktop will be fine).​
B. If they're not here, Try closing Steam, and opening it again, waiting a moment, and then re-enter the folder. Steam is supposed to restore the files there to proper state every time it opens.​
2. If that doesn't work, try checking here, this is Steam's remote storage for Terraria. You can see this for any game. It lets you download every cloud file you have.
3. (Mondy already investigated this option) If you go to My documents/My Games/Terraria/ you can check whether your players/worlds are there. They may be available as name.plr.bak or name.wld.bak backup files, clone the file and then change the clone file's name to name.plr or name.wld

Were either of you using Cloud saving functionality on your characters that are breaking?

If so:
1. Go to your steam installation directory, then userdata/<your steam ID number>/105600/remote This should contain all your cloud files in Player and World folders.
A. If they're here, copy them to another directory (a folder on your Desktop will be fine).​
B. If they're not here, Try closing Steam, and opening it again, waiting a moment, and then re-enter the folder. Steam is supposed to restore the files there to proper state every time it opens.​
2. If that doesn't work, try checking here, this is Steam's remote storage for Terraria. You can see this for any game. It lets you download every cloud file you have.
3. (Mondy already investigated this option) If you go to My documents/My Games/Terraria/ you can check whether your players/worlds are there. They may be available as name.plr.bak or name.wld.bak backup files, clone the file and then change the clone file's name to name.plr or name.wld
its still not working the .bak files are corrupted as well and i dont want this to happen again is there any way to make this not happen to my future saves

We are investigating a possible cause of this issue with Cloud Saving; were you using Cloud Saving?

Are your saves corrupting EVERY time you turn off the game for the night? Are you turning off the game correctly, or are you force-shutting down the game or the computer?

i don't use cloud saving i prefer to have my data stored locally and it gets corrupted almost every night i get off and i turn off the game at the menu with the exit button

Okay, in that case, there is something very specific to your PC happening. (Since you say you did not use Tmodloader OR Cloud Saving, which are the usual culprits of late)

If this was a one time thing, or even an infrequent but recurring issue, I wouldn't be so sure, but if almost every night your saves are corrupted again and again, this is almost certainly some form of permissions error.

In essence, your game is not properly able to finish saving, due to something your computer is "doing" to prevent it.

Possible causes:
- Not running the game as admin with settings which require it
- Your Terraria saves folder being set to disable write-access from other programs
- One or more antivirus programs stopping Terraria from being able to save

So let's go through this one by one:
#1. Not running the game as admin - You can try launching Steam itself "As Administrator" by right clicking on its icon and selecting to do so. You can also try to launch Terraria the same way.
#2. If your Terraria saves folder is read-only - Go to Documents>My Games and find the Terraria folder. Right click it and select Properties. Once open, ensure that the "Read-Only" button is unchecked, thus disabling the Read-Only setting. You can also go into the Terraria folder and repeat the process on both the Players and Worlds folders to ensure that they are all properly set.
#3. If your AV is blocking Terraria - This may take some additional investigation, as many users are not fully aware of all of the antivirus programs they may have, but in essence, open up any and all Antivirus programs you have (including Windows Defender) and find the white list settings. Unfortunately, these will vary from AV program to program, so I cannot walk you through this step. Once you have found it, ensure Terraria is set as white listed, so that Terraria is NOT prevented from editing its own save files on your PC. Assuming that this was the cause, this change will then allow it to save correctly.

All three of these result in the same effect (your saves function as long as you play but do not properly save permanently until the next session), so I cannot tell which it is. But when Terraria is completely incapable (or nearly always incapable) of successfully saving save files, it is because something in your computer interfering with Terraria. As you say that it is NOT crashing/force quitting, we can exclude that 4th possible option. Cloud Saving would have been a 5th candidate but you've also taken that out of consideration. As such, it is almost certainly one of the above 3 causes listed above.

Based on the brief description of Mondy's issue (that of retrieving corrupted files) it is unlikely it is related to yours Plasma.

Okay, in that case, there is something very specific to your PC happening. (Since you say you did not use Tmodloader OR Cloud Saving, which are the usual culprits of late)

If this was a one time thing, or even an infrequent but recurring issue, I wouldn't be so sure, but if almost every night your saves are corrupted again and again, this is almost certainly some form of permissions error.

In essence, your game is not properly able to finish saving, due to something your computer is "doing" to prevent it.

Possible causes:
- Not running the game as admin with settings which require it
- Your Terraria saves folder being set to disable write-access from other programs
- One or more antivirus programs stopping Terraria from being able to save

So let's go through this one by one:
#1. Not running the game as admin - You can try launching Steam itself "As Administrator" by right clicking on its icon and selecting to do so. You can also try to launch Terraria the same way.
#2. If your Terraria saves folder is read-only - Go to Documents>My Games and find the Terraria folder. Right click it and select Properties. Once open, ensure that the "Read-Only" button is unchecked, thus disabling the Read-Only setting. You can also go into the Terraria folder and repeat the process on both the Players and Worlds folders to ensure that they are all properly set.
#3. If your AV is blocking Terraria - This may take some additional investigation, as many users are not fully aware of all of the antivirus programs they may have, but in essence, open up any and all Antivirus programs you have (including Windows Defender) and find the white list settings. Unfortunately, these will vary from AV program to program, so I cannot walk you through this step. Once you have found it, ensure Terraria is set as white listed, so that Terraria is NOT prevented from editing its own save files on your PC. Assuming that this was the cause, this change will then allow it to save correctly.

All three of these result in the same effect (your saves function as long as you play but do not properly save permanently until the next session), so I cannot tell which it is. But when Terraria is completely incapable (or nearly always incapable) of successfully saving save files, it is because something in your computer interfering with Terraria. As you say that it is NOT crashing/force quitting, we can exclude that 4th possible option. Cloud Saving would have been a 5th candidate but you've also taken that out of consideration. As such, it is almost certainly one of the above 3 causes listed above.

Based on the brief description of Mondy's issue (that of retrieving corrupted files) it is unlikely it is related to yours Plasma.
Hey man! I’ve been tackling this issue for a looong time. Ive been losing every character and world when it reaches around 80 or so hours, although I’ve always tolerated that until about a month ago.Recently this problem has begun to develop even four hours into a world. I have tried about everything on the terraria forums, and your suggestions actually seemed to help a bit. So I’m not trying to recover anything because it’s all corrupted and gone, but I’d love some more help playing in the future. Ive disabled many things and changed several settings, and at the moment I’m eyeing mcafee based on what you’ve said. I’ll refund my mcafee and such and get back to you on that. Also I’ll just note that I’m on an hp pavillion laptop if that helps. I really hope you’ll respond to this, I’ve shed many tears!

Back
Top Bottom