Serious PC Tech Question

For the extremely graphic intense games like The Witcher games, it lags a little unless you play on the absolute lowest settings.
The Witcher 3 is the lightest when it comes for Nvidia GPU requirements of all the newer games. And that laptop isn't going to hold The Witcher 2 higher settings.
For games like Skyrim/Fallout if you don't play them on "Super Ultra High" settings, they should perform pretty smoothly at a good Framerate.
As for Skyrim, it would run probably the highest settings, barely, though. Newer games won't be even touched by it, so I wouldn't say it would be good for intense gaming.
For when I play Skyrim and games like Skyrim, I normally play on the medium or lowest graphic settings and they run pretty well when I play them (because I care about performance over graphics and the game doesn't look too different to me if I don't play on the high settings).
Matter of preferences, although with much better PCs it doesn't change performance that much and there's a huge difference between graphic settings in some games. It's especially true on higher resolutions.
I would play on the lowest graphic settings even if I had the strongest gaming Laptop or PC in the world.
There's no point on having one, though, If you are going to lowest settings. It would be a huge waste. Not saying I'm looking only for graphics, since I played lots of old games, as well as some on lower settings and didn't complain as long as I could play smoothly. Still, if you intend to have high-end gaming PC, then make sure to have proper use of it.
I also record using my laptop and haven't had any issues with framerate in recording Terraria.
Recording is more a matter of a Hard Drive. Having 2 of them, playing on one and recording on another doesn't affect playing much. Also the most Terraria can take is some more RAM.
For the people saying to buy a PC instead of a Laptop, there are legitimate reasons to choose a Laptop over a PC. Like living in a small house that has no space for a new desk/table area, when a person travels a lot, and the portability of a laptop overall.
This is what I mentioned previously and this is why I said to get a better Laptop for more needs.
Sure they may not be as powerful as a PC, but I find that all of my games still run well on my laptop overall. And the laptop Andr wants to get looks stronger than mine so it should be good for Andr's needs.
In case of pre-2014 games, aye.
The GPU is not for gaming and is for simple multimedia and Word processing.
Not true. Most of GPUs are for gaming. Games with lots of action and intense graphics, obviously take more from GPU. CPU only makes rendering and ability to hold lots of objects easier. It's especially more intensive in case of huge worlds with no/few loading screens. But it needs to be displayed somehow, the higher resolution and bigger textures, the more graphical processor needs to work.
Before immediately jumping on that HP, take a look around. There's plenty of options out there, don't limit yourself to one model or brand. Check the reviews for each laptop you find, see if someone with similar interests and criteria left behind a rating. Watch out for sales, too. I've seem a few laptops around $1300 that got knocked down to ~$900 when I was shopping for my own gaming laptop.
On that I would definitely approve.
Recording is CPU heavy, so for your case you'll need the best of both worlds.
That also depends. It does take some of the CPU, but some decent models along with recording on different HDs ( SSD works wonders ) can give a relief to the usage. Games need both good Graphical Processor and Core Processor to work well. But it doesn't change much for someone who prefers to play older ones.
If you can stretch your budget further (say, $1400+) you could probably head to one of those build-your-own sites and customize your own laptop with the hardware and software you want.
Yep, that's what I mentioned earlier.
Thanks for the first two paragraphs. That helped me decide that A. You don't know you're talking about and B. I didn't need to read the rest.
Seems you don't know that much yourself, though.
That laptop is built for movies and word processing. It won't run anything you want other then Terraria at all. Least you could do is build a semi portable PC or buy a better laptop, like the one Sergei suggested, but if you want to be ignorant and buy that laptop, good luck playing Fallout4 or Skyrim.
But on that I can agree.
If I am correct, your title has the 'serious' tag, we were being serious with our advice, also you should have added more context. You should do research before shelling out 1000$ on a laptop. Now I will rephrase; the 940m is a modest performing mobile GPU which is intended for media and maybe some very, very light gaming. It performs similar to nVidia's 840m, even more closely to their 750m unit, which is not saying much. It could however play games like Fallout 4 and Skyrim if you turned down the settings a notch. 16gb of ram on a laptop, in my personal opinion, is an absolute waste for gaming unless you plan on doing intense stuff. Seriously, find a better/cheaper alternative if you have not bought it already.

I'm not saying "Oh f*ck laptops, pony up and build a beastie desktop!!!111" now, am I? Yes, Desktops will always be cheaper, but there are many reasons why one would prefer a laptop for gaming. Also, the Envy line is Hewlett-Packard's response to Macbooks/iMacs. They are for professional use/media consumption, not for gaming, as Pii stated above. I know someone who wasted 1800$ on a 13'' alienware with an abomination of a 1366x768p screen last year and it barely gets 40 fps in tf2. I'd rather not see people waste money.

EDIT: @Andr I found a laptop with the exact same gpu, 8gb ram, 1080p screen, and webcam on sale for 679$
Yeah, we gave you serious and honest opinions, just to match the tag. Honestly, 950m would slightly pass the test, 960m/860m/870m could give you pretty moderate results and playing 2016 games wouldn't make much of a problem on low-medium settings. The laptop you brought example of, works better for multimedias. Won't go in depth with that, because that one is pretty much an explanation.

And I made some researches on it as well as talked with some more experienced people, so I know a bit of these things.

Last edited:
The best advice that I can give you is: you have options.

Assuming $999 is your max budget, Newegg.com has a section dedicated to gaming laptops under $1000:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100025325 4814 4021 4022&name=Gaming-Laptops-Under-$1000

Another point to consider is that gaming is more GPU heavy than it is CPU heavy. There's a few on the list that I linked that feature the 960m, which is a much better card.
Recording is CPU heavy, so for your case you'll need the best of both worlds.

Before immediately jumping on that HP, take a look around. There's plenty of options out there, don't limit yourself to one model or brand. Check the reviews for each laptop you find, see if someone with similar interests and criteria left behind a rating. Watch out for sales, too. I've seem a few laptops around $1300 that got knocked down to ~$900 when I was shopping for my own gaming laptop.
If you can stretch your budget further (say, $1400+) you could probably head to one of those build-your-own sites and customize your own laptop with the hardware and software you want.
Ok, but here's my predicament;
It has to be a laptop UNDER $1000.
It has to be an HP. (Parent thing.)
It must be able to play games. It doesn't need to be godly, it just needs to run at ~30+ FPS.
If you can suggest a laptop that is better, is an HP, and is under $1000 dollars, then feel free to give me buying advice. If not, please just tell me what kind of FPS I can expect on Medium-High settings (I don't play Witcher...) on Terraria, Minecraft, Skyrim and Fallout. I'm not picky, I'm not going to go to Ultra settings that I couldn't see on a laptop anyway.
My goal isn't getting the absolute best graphics, it just needs to look relatively nice, be playable, and preferably.
Now, my father has a computer with 8 GB RAM, 2.4 Ghz Proscessor, and an NVidia graphics card from like, 2004, with Windows Vista 64 Bit. It runs Skyrim on High settings at 60 FPS flat.
My current computer has 4 GB RAM, Windows Vista 32 Bit, 2.6 Ghz processor, and the SAME VIDEO CARD and it can't run Terraria, barely.

So believe me, this laptop is better than any computer in my house. Get my point?

Ok, but here's my predicament;
It has to be a laptop UNDER $1000.
It has to be an HP. (Parent thing.)
It must be able to play games. It doesn't need to be godly, it just needs to run at ~30+ FPS.
If you can suggest a laptop that is better, is an HP, and is under $1000 dollars, then feel free to give me buying advice. If not, please just tell me what kind of FPS I can expect on Medium-High settings (I don't play Witcher...) on Terraria, Minecraft, Skyrim and Fallout. I'm not picky, I'm not going to go to Ultra settings that I couldn't see on a laptop anyway.
My goal isn't getting the absolute best graphics, it just needs to look relatively nice, be playable, and preferably.
Now, my father has a computer with 8 GB RAM, 2.4 Ghz Proscessor, and an NVidia graphics card from like, 2004, with Windows Vista 64 Bit. It runs Skyrim on High settings at 60 FPS flat.
My current computer has 4 GB RAM, Windows Vista 32 Bit, 2.6 Ghz processor, and the SAME VIDEO CARD and it can't run Terraria, barely.

So believe me, this laptop is better than any computer in my house. Get my point?
If it has to be a HP, then I'm Done. It's near impossible to find a decent 'gaming' HP Laptop. I don't think they make any under $1000 that I wouldn't call a ripoff. Why won't your parents let you get another brand? It's pretty stupid logic to let you only get one brand, it's REALLY locks down most of your decent options.

If it has to be a HP, then I'm Done. It's near impossible to find a decent 'gaming' HP Laptop. I don't think they make any under $1000 that I wouldn't call a ripoff. Why won't your parents let you get another brand? It's pretty stupid logic to let you only get one brand, it's REALLY locks down most of your decent options.
*Cough* My dad thinks he's some computer expert *Cough*

Msi has some pretty good gaming laptops, along with nice additions for free most of the time.

Figured you weren't paying out of your own pocket, sigh.

Anyways, you should try convincing your parents that you can get a similar laptop from another brand with the same or better specs for cheaper. I don't know any parent who doesn't want to save money. :)

Reactions: Pii
Also, according to newegg' HP doesn't make 'gaming laptops'. They have no models that they would call 'gaming laptops'.
[DOUBLEPOST=1443385179,1443385152][/DOUBLEPOST]
Msi has some pretty good gaming laptops, along with nice additions for free most of the time.
Read what he said, HP only.

They actually do have a gaming line, the omen series. But seriously, unless you want your parents to be wasting money, which they probably worked hard for, convince them to buy another alternative.
What a surprise, nothing under a thousand. That was unexpected. /s

Now I hate HP even more.

Is the Omen (Default) better than what I showed? what about if I put 16 GB RAM in it?
We've already told you, 16GB would be a waste of money unless you're doing constant video editing, besides, you can do that with 8GB. Which omen are you referring to? There are 3 on newegg, none of them called 'Default'
However, the two laptops with 960M are better then what you showed by quite a lot.

Almost every other model of the HP Envy 17 that I saw on HP's website had the 950m graphics card, which is a small step up.
Settling for 8 gigs of ram won't hurt, so I'd say shoot for those models at the very least.

But in all honesty, try to convince your dad to open up your options a little. HP is barely decent as a computer company and there are so many different brands out there that are arguably much better. If anything show him a few examples of <$1000 laptops from other brands and see if any of them peak his interest.

I'm not biased against HP, I actually have a modified HP desktop with a gt 730 2gb which is currently being used as a home theater PC/retro console emulator. But honestly you should have your parents consider the alternatives and provide examples for them, as sgt. Sprocket said.

Alright, is the laptop I showed better than my current PC, with these specs?

My current specs are as follows:
Processor:AMD Athelon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz
RAM:4.00 GB RAM (3454 MB)
BIOS: Phoinex-AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Graphics Card:NVIDEA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
HP Model: s3401f

Alright, is the laptop I showed better than my current PC, with these specs?

My current specs are as follows:
Processor:AMD Athelon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz
RAM:4.00 GB RAM (3454 MB)
BIOS: Phoinex-AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Graphics Card:NVIDEA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
HP Model: s3401f
The one you linked in the OP? Yes. It's not exactly value for money, it's hideously overpriced but if you're looking at raw performance, yes.

Back
Top Bottom