{Personal Profile} critcodedtuna

critcodedtuna

Terrarian
Me, in short: Living in Pennsylvania, USA. Former full-time IT whipping boy. Part engineer, part artist. Occasional programmer, hacker, tinkerer. Possibly a bit too much free time on my hands.

Terraria stuff: I've played since release. I've gotten far more interested in the inner workings of the game since 1.2, digging into code and data to figure out how things work -- along with just enjoying playing the game. I'm generally more active on the /r/Terraria subreddit, often offering answers to some of the more non-obvious questions people have about the game. I also follow several forums on the site here. I've contributed some updates to TEdit, and often write my own programs to poke around the guts of Terraria.

Where to find me: Reddit /u/critcodedtuna, or here.

Some favorite projects I've shared:

Wiring Stuff
Terraria Jones and the Adventure of the Pharaoh's Tomb
Concept - Automatic Staircase
Terraria's biggest fan?
Goldfish Sanctuary

Time Lapse
PSA: The Effect of Crimson on an Unprotected Jungle (time lapse)

Programming
WorldFormat (Alpha concept) -- Change your world. [obsolete, integrated most functionality into TEdit]

My Main Home (somewhat renovated since posting)
My base, "The Bubble" (work in progress)
Bubble update -- "natural" mini biomes!
Bubble II: The Twins has awoken!

Current project: Size 1 auto hoik research (possible crowd sourcing)

My home world is usually online for visitors, pbgaming.sytes.net:7777 (password: reddit).

Wow, I kinda feel humbled; you've done so much already, and I already knew you are a major asset to the subreddit... So a bunch of the tick boxes/drop down's in TEdit's world properties are down to you then!? Wow. So have you actually worked with BinaryConstruct (and crew), I'm not familiar with how these projects run. Does these mean we can mention minor TEdit bugs to you? Like the broken number "8" statue sprite... ;)

And maybe we can ask you sweetly to have a rummage in the game code sometime...?

If you know of any other long term players who are still active and might like to hang out here, feel free to ask them along, or drop me their names so we can send out an official invite. :)
I think maybe you play this game a little too much
Bah, don't be ridiculous! lol.

I think maybe you play this game a little too much :redspin:

Sometimes I think I do. Once in a while I get bored and don't touch it for weeks at a time. And then I'll come back and binge on it for way too often (like I did the outline of the Sphinx, it sat that way for about 3 months, and then I filled it in and furnished it in about a week).

Wow, I kinda feel humbled; you've done so much already, and I already knew you are a major asset to the subreddit... So a bunch of the tick boxes/drop down's in TEdit's world properties are down to you then!? Wow. So have you actually worked with BinaryConstruct (and crew), I'm not familiar with how these projects run. Does these mean we can mention minor TEdit bugs to you? Like the broken number "8" statue sprite... ;)

Yep, I overhauled the World Properties panel to bring it up to 1.2.4.1 capabilities, and did a major update to the settings.xml file to add a bunch of missing stuff, plus some minor functionality tweaks. It's a fairly open development project. I just forked the code, did some updates, and submitted pull requests for BinaryConstruct to review and merge. As for the "8" statue, I found that the other day and have a fix in place (the UV property in the frame is supposed to be "288,0" rather than "280,0" if you need to fix it on your local install) -- the next time I submit a pull request and the project gets rebuilt it should be fixed. So yeah, that one was my error. :sigh:

And maybe we can ask you sweetly to have a rummage in the game code sometime...?

Certainly. Some of it's straightforward. Some of it's mind-numbing spaghetti. I've been looking at the collision code lately, and it's much closer to spaghetti. I'm not a huge fan of C#, so there are some interesting things I think I could do but struggle to find the motivation.

If you know of any other long term players who are still active and might like to hang out here, feel free to ask them along, or drop me their names so we can send out an official invite. :)

One name comes to mind immediately, /u/unctuous, who's dug up a lot of interesting numbers and details about the game mechanics, but it looks like he hasn't been around for the last couple months.

Back
Top Bottom