Casual Pet Peeves

I have a lot pet peeves so I'm listing my top 3:

1) People who discriminate Neurodiverse/LGBT/ Disabled people
2) Conceited people
3) Gossiping

Last edited:
when You pause for a split second in something that your saying and someone else takes advantage of it to interrupt and tell all about their trip to Tahiti or whatever.

“ so anyway, if we’re going to do this, then..—“OH HEY MY VACATION WAS AWESOME BECAUSE THE WATER WAS SO CLEAR THAT YOU COULD SEE THE FISH LIKE THE ONES I HAD FOR DINNER LAST NIGHT DO YOU LIKE SALMON I..”

Anthropomorphic animals with hair (not to be confused with fur. I mean the type that's normally prominent with humans atop their head) when it makes absolutely no sense for their species to have hair like that. Bonus points if the animal is female, and the only thing their creators could think of to distinguish them from their male counterparts is to give them really obnoxious looking flowing locks of hair. That and boobs makes them look incredibly out of place, especially on reptiles.

This has always annoyed me to a certain extent for some reason. Sure, for some animals, it makes a little bit of sense and it's acceptable to deviate a little from their original appearance. Male lions for example have manes that you can do pretty much anything you want with in terms of hair styles. But then you get to other species like say... well, I guess female lions, whose distinguishing trait from their male counterparts is that they don't have a mane, and it looks really stupid. Especially when you encounter a story where the animals essentially act like animals save for the fact they can talk, it gets increasingly uncanny when the only thing the illustrator can do to give their separate characters personality is to give them super elaborate hairstyles that aren't even remotely the same colour as their fur.

Oh, okay, so it's just a wolf... except for the fact that it has really long, blue hair. Ah. Yes. I see this all the time in real life. Definitely not jarring at all.

Reptiles specifically are just... why? They don't even have fur for the most part!

People judging others for things they have no control over/were born with. This should probably go on a different thread since it's more than an annoyance; if you want to get me extremely angry, do this. It's literally my biggest trigger. Usually, this manifests when people degrade someone for something completely unreasonable like gender or skin colour, but it goes further than that.

Like, let's say that in some alternate universe, having a certain skin colour is actually, scientifically a bad thing. It's rooted in their genetics that they'll most likely become criminals or some such thing. So, in order to keep people "safe," these people are kept away from and given worse living conditions than the people with other skin colours. But despite the odds of these individuals becoming bad people, is it really fair to reject them over something they had no control over, especially if they haven't shown any signs of having these usual traits? People should be judged by things they have done, not by things they might do.

Relating to the posts just above in a sort of way, another thing that bothers me is how marine creatures and arthropods are generally treated in worlds with anthropomorphic animals. Too often a time I've seen a fictional universe where all animals are supposedly sentient, but really it's only just the mammals, birds and reptiles that are and those two just... aren't. Not unless the story revolves around either of them (and if that's the case, the other four groups usually aren't intelligent). Like, I understand that it's pretty hard to make bugs cute and all, but if it's advertised that all the forest critters can speak, they should all speak.

Anthropomorphic animals with hair (not to be confused with fur. I mean the type that's normally prominent with humans atop their head) when it makes absolutely no sense for their species to have hair like that. Bonus points if the animal is female, and the only thing their creators could think of to distinguish them from their male counterparts is to give them really obnoxious looking flowing locks of hair. That and boobs makes them look incredibly out of place, especially on reptiles.

This has always annoyed me to a certain extent for some reason. Sure, for some animals, it makes a little bit of sense and it's acceptable to deviate a little from their original appearance. Male lions for example have manes that you can do pretty much anything you want with in terms of hair styles. But then you get to other species like say... well, I guess female lions, whose distinguishing trait from their male counterparts is that they don't have a mane, and it looks really stupid. Especially when you encounter a story where the animals essentially act like animals save for the fact they can talk, it gets increasingly uncanny when the only thing the illustrator can do to give their separate characters personality is to give them super elaborate hairstyles that aren't even remotely the same colour as their fur.

Oh, okay, so it's just a wolf... except for the fact that it has really long, blue hair. Ah. Yes. I see this all the time in real life. Definitely not jarring at all.

Reptiles specifically are just... why? They don't even have fur for the most part!
Neopets

Subtitles that don't actually display what's being said, but rather a short summarised version of it with tons of words missing. Okay I guess for people who are hard of hearing, but the disparity between the subtitles and what people are saying can be pretty jarring if you have them turned on just to make sure you've heard everything correctly. I've noticed that most Netflix shows have subtitles that reflect this.

Subtitles that don't actually display what's being said, but rather a short summarised version of it with tons of words missing. Okay I guess for people who are hard of hearing, but the disparity between the subtitles and what people are saying can be pretty jarring if you have them turned on just to make sure you've heard everything correctly. I've noticed that most Netflix shows have subtitles that reflect this.
(dies in japanese)

Pet Peeve: People who can't be relaxed when there is a slightly imperfect thing (*COUGH* *COUGH* GEOMETRY DASH PLAYERS *COUGH* *COUGH*)

Back
Top Bottom