• I think it should be more

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Just leave it as is.

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Moonlight_Fae

Terrarian
Untitled drawing (1).png

This is a small mod that adds in one town NPC - The Picklock.

The idea of this mod is quite simple : Make locked chests less of a hassle.

The picklock will spawn in the town once the player has a safe in their inventory (Post Skeletron). Once he spawns in, he sells Golden Keys and Shadow Keys.
Once the Wall of Flesh has been killed, the picklock will sell the Key of Light and Key of Night. Post Plantera, he sells biome keys.

Currently the items are all vanilla, but It would be fun to do some cross mod stuff in the future.
Picklock defends himself with a handgun, and is super weak, so keep him protected!

This is the first released mod, with many more to come (Fingers crossed), so if there are any bugs, let me know.

Version List :
Development - Created Picklock NPC, made funny quotes, added a little detail that we found quite funny
Pre Release - Resized handgun, Reworked code. Debated releasing mod
0.1 - Released
0.2 - Added Logo to Forum, Tweaked NPC sizing, Added some lines that were not showing in game (For some reason), Got mod working on mod browser.

TEAM :
Sora92 - A great sprite and Assistance with code. Also helped dream up the Picklock, as well as names and quotes
Emily - Head Programmer

Last edited:
Maybe show us the sprite?
Also, you should allow some keys to be bought at the start of hardmode

Three thoughts;
  1. Would be cool if this had compatibility with mods like Thorium, that add their own mimic keys.
  2. What, no Keybrand? (Let him sell it pre-Plantera and it might even be useful.)
  3. Why is he not called the Locksmith?

Three thoughts;
  1. Would be cool if this had compatibility with mods like Thorium, that add their own mimic keys.
  2. What, no Keybrand? (Let him sell it pre-Plantera and it might even be useful.)
  3. Why is he not called the Locksmith?

Thank you for the feedback!

1. as for cross mod contests, we're planning it, but it might needs consent from other modmakers? Does it?
2. As for the keybrand, huh, seems we forgotten about it when thought about keys. It could be a rather interesting addition to his shop. But questionable when it should appear in his shop? While post-plantera it isn't that cool, because it has no projectiles while most melee weapons that time does, if compare with early hardmode swords, the keybrand is very powerful.
3. I don't know. Would that be a better name? Maybe we could set up a poll for it or something.

What do you think of the prices? I think 5 plat for biome keys is too cheap. I suggested 7 plat 50 gold before - would that be better, or would some other price fit them more?

The cost is a hard question. On the one hand, by the time most players get to that point, they've got a good chance of already having 5 plat. Especially with modded games, it can be pretty easy to get that money. On the other hand, with the vanilla random drops, it's entirely possible (however unlikely) that someone could get a key drop from the first mob that they kill.

The cost is a hard question. On the one hand, by the time most players get to that point, they've got a good chance of already having 5 plat. Especially with modded games, it can be pretty easy to get that money. On the other hand, with the vanilla random drops, it's entirely possible (however unlikely) that someone could get a key drop from the first mob that they kill.

Yeah, you can easily earn like 2 plat with a single solar eclipse, even in vanilla.
And yes, you might find a biome key easy. Or farm for them yet they never drop. That's exactly the so annoying aspect to them why we created the picklock NPC.
you can still choose to farm for the keys, but you can also just buy them, if you have enough money. or buy those you have no luck finding.

If you have more ideas for him, wares, quotes, anything, please share those too. feedback helps a lot to improve things.

Yeah, you can easily earn like 2 plat with a single solar eclipse, even in vanilla.
And yes, you might find a biome key easy. Or farm for them yet they never drop. That's exactly the so annoying aspect to them why we created the picklock NPC.
you can still choose to farm for the keys, but you can also just buy them, if you have enough money. or buy those you have no luck finding.

If you have more ideas for him, wares, quotes, anything, please share those too. feedback helps a lot to improve things.

Yeah, we genuinely forgot the keybrand, but he does have a quote referencing it. We can have that working by the next update. I also have a few things to tweak, but there wasn’t enough to warrant a full update.

And i am trying to get permission from a few other Modders, so expect cross mod content soon.

<3

I love the sprite!
Yeah, @Sora92 definitely captured the Picklock's... character XD

I have plans to work together on a few more mods, (One almost done) but I love how the picklock turned out!
I know Sora is browsing this forum as well, so Thanks Mate!

And i am trying to get permission from a few other Modders
This isn't required at all, only if your asking to "use content" from another mod is it required like IE: porting an outdated mod to the current version of TMODLoader
making cross-content is pretty on you, since you gotta maintain it yourself.

However, by asking first thou your going to be letting the other mod author know in the future to discourage them from changing the ID code that your mod is referencing making it less likely to break, so there's that.

Back
Top Bottom