Portfolio/Multi-Topic Pimp my Desert!

Which parts do you like

• Total voters

Flashstriker

Plantera
The desert has recieved lots of additions in recent updates. However, it still feels deserted (no pun intended) in some aspects. I want to address 3 aspects of the desert:

1. Pyramids
2. Flying Carpet
3. A new NPC

Pyramids
The loot from Pyramids can be very good (and very bad. Looking at you, Pharaohs Clothes), and the money can be plentiful from the vast amount of coin bags. However, they're incredibly uncommon. To combat this, i propose a similar system to Living Trees. Pyramids can come in different sizes. Small Pyramids would simply be sandstone triangles on the surface, with a small chamber containing some pots and a couple of copper/silver coin bags. Small Pyramids have a 5% chance of containing a chest. Medium Pyramids would be partially covered in sand, but the entrance would still be obviously uncovered. The chamber would be larger, and would have a chance to contain a chest (about 40%). These would have more pots, and silver/gold bags. Large Pyramids would be the same as the current pyramids. Instead of the gold chest, they would contain a Sarcophagus. They function the same as a chest, but would be 3 by 1 and look different. Only gold coin bags could spawn in large Pyramids. Hopefully this would help make this loot less rare, or at least make Pyramids themselves less rare.

The Flying Carpet
I love this item, and for the stage of the game you can get it it works well. However, i would love it if it could actually fly. Not in pre hardmode of course, but Hardmode could be another story. Combine it with 20 Souls of Flight at a Mythil/Orichalcum anvil and it would be able to fly for up to 2.2 seconds. Additionally it would have a hover function, identical to how it works currently. To make it a distinctly different item, it's name would change to the Enchanted Carpet Another possible addition is in Expert mode you could combine the the Enchanted Carpet with the Mech Bosses' unique drops to make the Mechanical Carpet. It would gain additional flight time (up to 2.6 seconds) and would automatically shoot lasers at enemies, dealing 40 damage per laser. It would also look different, turning from red and yellow to a metallic grey. Lastly, you could combine the Enchanted carpet or the Mechanical Carpet with any of the Celestial fragments. This would increase the flight time to 3 seconds, and leave behind a trail of light identical to the colour of the fragments used. The Enchanted Carpet would become the Lunar Carpet, regardless of the fragments used. The Mechanical Carpet would become the Celestial Carpet, and the Lasers fired would become the colour of the fragments used.

The Archaeologist
The Archaeologist would arrive at your town after you obtained an item from a Pyramid. Alternatively he will appear if you have 30 Sturdy Fossils or 250 Desert Fossils in your inventory. He would act a bit like the Angler, requesting you bring him certain items and giving you a reward in return. Unlike the Angler, he offers one quest, and will not change it until it is completed.

Bring him a large gem (Capture the Gem)
Bring him X Desert Fossils
Bring him X Bars
Bring him a certain Mimic drop (Hardmode exclusive)
Bring him a Bone/Giant Harpy/Ice/Fire feather (hardmode exclusive)
Bring him an Ice Core/Forbidden Fragment (hardmode exclusive)

Gem Ring (Accessory) - + 5% damage, +1 max minions, + 20 max mana, + 5% ammo conservation and +5% melee knockback
Desert Hook - 14 Range
Desert Rune - Summon a Sandstorm
Cloud Rune - Summon a Rainstorm
Ancient Sandstone Ring (Accessory) - +5 Defense, +10% to all major stats during adverse weather (Sandstorm, Rain, Blizzard)
Amber Mosquito - Pet Summoning item
10 - 30 Gold
Desert Spirit Lamp - Material
10 - 20 Chlorophyte/Shroomite/Spectre bars (hardmode exclusive)
Heart Band (Accessory) - Increased Heart Pickup range. Stacks with Heartreach potion. Also gives 50 extra life. Can be combined with Charm of Myths
Pyramid Loot

The whole idea of the quests and rewards is to "deal" in rare and unique items.
Also the main reason this NPC came to mind is one line he might say - "By the way, have you seen my partner Dr Walton? He went missing in the Jungle" which of course is a reference to Dr Bones, who is a reference to Indiana Jones, whose full name is Dr. Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones Jr. Convoluted reference but i thought it was funny. Anyway, please let me know what you think!

Back
Top Bottom