Other Pirate Invasion Balance

LobAutumny

Cultist
The pirate invasion currently has an issue, that issue being that it can happen on day 1 of hardmode, before you're really able to make/find decent enough equipment for the event to not be extremely tedious, especially in expert. Since the only requirement for pirates is that you break an altar, there is no way to guarantee that you have any hardmode gear at all before they show up at your house. It is for this reason that I suggest the flag for enabling pirate invasions be moved to having at least one mechanical boss down. Either that, or nerf the enemies in the invasion so they can be more reasonably dealt with without any hardmode metal armor. It's not exactly fun to start hardmode in expert, break some altars, go on a short mining trip, then get killed 30 times in a row because a pirate captain made it into your bedroom.

Yes, they're horrible XD
They massacre your entire town and you 30 times...
But as it requires you to break one altar, you can take safety measures against them before. e.g. make a bunker with lava traps and zombie-proof doors (barricaded from the inside). you can also ignore altars and get ores from crates though that relies too much on luck what you get from crates...

Agreed, I remember I did an Expert playthrough years ago and the pirates spawned very early in hardmode, and it took me about 2 in game days to deal with them as I kept having to recall to the nurse every 15 seconds.

Agree completely; it's happened to me. Pirate Invasion really did spawn on day 1 of hardmode after I smashed an altar. I died so many times I ultimately restored a backup of the world to pre-hardmode and redid my base.
(Then the Pirate Invasion spawned on day 3 instead, but my lava moats took care of them...)

Killing a mech boss is one way to gate it. An alternative might be (like the Goblin Invasion or Solar Eclipse) that the more difficult enemies don't spawn until a mech boss is defeated.

The pirate invasion currently has an issue, that issue being that it can happen on day 1 of hardmode

It's terribly overpowered.

Agreed, I remember I did an Expert playthrough years ago and the pirates spawned very early in hardmode

Agree completely; it's happened to me. Pirate Invasion really did spawn on day 1 of hardmode after I smashed an altar.
(Then the Pirate Invasion spawned on day 3
Is it really that common?
Personally, I always had to go to the ocean and farm for a treasure map

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom