pixel box display (0-9)(with wires now)

DownsPath

Terrarian
i managed to build a pixel box display with the digits 0-9 in the 7 segments style, the wires are quite messy and i found a new way to build it it is way easyer. i show the wires as son as a built the new version :)

Animation8.gif

this is just a preview of what is possible with the pixel box

i managed to make the display realy easy, but i still need to rewire it, because there would be a to big gap between multiple displays
i am tired, i upload it, but i am gonna explain it tomorrow
Capture 2016-05-30 02_37_44.png

Capture 2016-05-30 02_37_49.png

Last edited:
Could we see the wiring that was involved with that? It would be awesome if you could create an in-game digital clock.

I was trying to figure this out the other day but the g segment (strip in the middle) was always in the way. :(

Show us the solution to the puzzle :p

If it's not too much trouble, could we get the wiring separated out into multiple images, where only one color at a time is "bright" and the others are all "faded"? It would help trying to make sense of that tangle.

Ding diddly damn. They look so cool, so I hope they add them in a patch sooner rather than later.
They are in the game, just unobtainable, so if you go into a freebuild terraria server (I recommend ShadowRain, easy to get onto and use), you can /i it in. That's what I did.

Or just download the builder's workshop map. Easier then messing with the servers imo.

Here it is with each wire highlighted. Yellow controls segments B, C, E, F:
zFkpvS9.png

Blue controls segments A, D:
Nbq7OSS.png

Green controls segment G:
YId5jvv.png

And finally red is the reset:
Ho6xESL.png

All together:
YOgQbRc.png

Yellow controls segments B, C, E, F:
For reference:
zLQ0QHl.png

Right, and so the trick is to think about the pixel boxes as junction boxes (fixed in a right angled orientation). They effectively split each wire color layer into 2 separate wire layers, one that runs horizontally, one that runs vertically.

So covering a blocked solid grid area of pixel boxes with a wire colour still allows you to send them wire pulses from either above/below or left/right, by bringing in connections from the side of the block of pixel boxes. If a box is activated via a connection only from a side (of the grid), it will reset to off. If it recieves activation only from a horizontal connection, it does nothing. If it receives connections from both it's horizontal and vertical layers then it turns on.

In this setup there is no functional advantage to the pixel boxes' unique activation method; you could as well use gemspark blocks or torches in the say segment layout. With junction boxes you can access these just as well, currently. There's only a visual advantage to have the nice high contrast and lack of background illumination spilling out. You can paint them vivid colours too.

As for this 7-segment display driver, good work, although, again, it's not pixel-box specific, so will work with any segment display block types.
but i am gonna explain it tomorrow
index.php
The right side column is a linear counter the cycles up through the 10 rows, activating a higher one each time, progressing up 1 each second, as the 1s timer activates.

Each row is a lookup line for the state changes of the 7 segments to go from one digit to the next (either turning off segments or turning them on).

The bottom row is simply a set of relays, to change wire colours as needed.

Yes, @DownsPath?

@DicemanX had a somewhat similar display driver here, although with a different gate style approach, segment reset between number displays (allowing direct digit input, in place of counting up) and, obvious 4 separate 7-seg displays: http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...e-decimal-display-with-a-single-keypad.44028/

@ZeroGravitas i am curently working on: rewire everything (because i cant put the display close together) and on a different display style, because i want do be able to display all letters

PS: thank you for the good explanation, everything correct :)
[doublepost=1464621017,1464620233][/doublepost]i finaly managed to rewire everything, here is the result:

now we can place the displays only 3 titles apart :) dont worry , you can paint the background in shadow, you wont notice the bridges that much

Capture 2016-05-30 17_10_12.png

Capture 2016-05-30 17_09_50.png

Do you think you could make a decimal input system?
You mean like @DicemanX's decimal number keypad entry mechanism?
GreatOrangeBlackrhino.gif

As you can see I use a single keypad (with the top row corresponding to 1,2,3, the middle corresponding to 4,5,6, the bottom corresponding to 7,8,9 and the single switch at the bottom corresponsing to 0). Each time a number is entered it pushes the digits into higher magnitude positions. The lever up top resets the display.

Back
Top Bottom