Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Im using a golden fishing rod, with master bait, full angler set, angler earring and fishing line, master mode, on the surface hallow, in a pond thats about 200 tiles and its not showing up. I've fished up over 120 things at this point.

Did you confirm that the day hasn't rolled over on you, and yo're in a different quest?
Highly unlikely. The bastard fish's quest showed up like 3 times so far, each time i set out to get one around 10am ish, lake is right next to me, so travel is like half an hour max, and for minute after minute it would not show up, on all 3 of those individual days.

Might be more to this bug than what meets the eye, but i listed everything that i thought might influence it

According to what you tell us your fishing power is around 60 to 70. And can simply be too low for the quest fish to spawn.

According to what you tell us your fishing power is around 60 to 70. And can simply be too low for the quest fish to spawn.

Dude.

How is he supposed to get it higher? He has max size pond, full angler's clothes, the most powerful rod in the game, and he's using the best bait in the game.

Dude.

How is he supposed to get it higher? He has max size pond, full angler's clothes, the most powerful rod in the game, and he's using the best bait in the game.
He obviously does not have the max. size pond. 200 tiles is a 33% penalty. The time of day he fishes at is a 20% penalty.
Angler set 15 + earring 10 + pole 50 + bait 50 = 125.
125*0,67-125*0,2=~60 if I'm not wrong.

300+ tiles pond for no penalty + the good time of day for no penalty.

He obviously does not have the max. size pond. 200 tiles is a 33% penalty. The time of day he fishes at is a 20% penalty.
Angler set 15 + earring 10 + pole 50 + bait 50 = 125.
125*0,67-125*0,2=~60 if I'm not wrong.

300+ tiles pond for no penalty + the good time of day for no penalty.

Well, ok, I missed the pond size there.

But expecting players to ONLY fish at the best time of the day to catch a quest fish is ridiculous because that's only like 60 or so seconds you have out of the entire day to get this fish.

If they made it that freaking hard to catch, I think that they really should be looking at reducing the requirements to catch it to make it more in line with the other quest fish. Requiring 100+ power for a quest fish is stupid.

Were did you try to catch it? It need to be Hallow Surface or Sky.
As far as I remember there is some missing/wrong information at the angler quest. He only says Hallow or Hallow Underground/Cavern.
(according to wiki Pixiefish and also Mirage Fish are more rare than any other quest fish)

Edit: noticed you wrote 'surface hallow'. nvm about post above. Did the angler told you the correct location?

Do you have any other biomes nearby? Have you also been catching other Hallow fish, like Princess Fish or Prismite? Sometime nearby biomes can mess with things. Also, I would definitely make the pond bigger, for sure.

I caught a few Pixiefish in the Hallow within a couple dozen fishing attempts, seems to be working fine. Might be an invalid pool, other biome overlap perhaps?

Well, ok, I missed the pond size there.

But expecting players to ONLY fish at the best time of the day to catch a quest fish is ridiculous because that's only like 60 or so seconds you have out of the entire day to get this fish.

If they made it that freaking hard to catch, I think that they really should be looking at reducing the requirements to catch it to make it more in line with the other quest fish. Requiring 100+ power for a quest fish is stupid.
Did you ever fish in real life?

Also, if it is too hard for him or you, simply move along and catch a better fish next day.
That easy. They are catchable, it is a player-issue.

Were did you try to catch it? It need to be Hallow Surface or Sky.
As far as I remember there is some missing/wrong information at the angler quest. He only says Hallow or Hallow Underground/Cavern.
(according to wiki Pixiefish and also Mirage Fish are more rare than any other quest fish)

Edit: noticed you wrote 'surface hallow'. nvm about post above. Did the angler told you the correct location?
It said surface hallow.
Do you have any other biomes nearby? Have you also been catching other Hallow fish, like Princess Fish or Prismite? Sometime nearby biomes can mess with things. Also, I would definitely make the pond bigger, for sure.
Yes, i have been catching princess fish, chaos fish, prismite, i have over a hundred princess fish at this point, and like 20-40 prismite and chaos fish combined.
Did you ever fish in real life?

Also, if it is too hard for him or you, simply move along and catch a better fish next day.
That easy. They are catchable, it is a player-issue.
It might be a player issue, but that wont change the fact that if:
There's no bug involved here, and its just how the game works, then it works in a stupid way and should be changed. Im not talking about a handful of fish here. Remember the part where I've said i've fished up over 120 items? Yea, that was no exaggeration. If the pixiefish is truly this rare, by design, then thats stupid and should be changed.

Also, dont bring IRL fishing into this. The reason fewer and fewer people fish is because its :red:ing boring. I've fished before. Actually reeling in the fish is great, but waiting30 minutes to hours to get that sensation is lame, and not fun.

Terraria should be fun, above all things. Waiting minute after minute is not fun, ESPECIALLY when there are enemies nagging me and i cannot fight back because my hands are occupied with holding the rod. There are no carnivorous flying sentient lanterns shooting lasers at us in real life.

ESPECIALLY when there are enemies nagging me and i cannot fight back because my hands are occupied with holding the rod. There are no carnivorous flying sentient lanterns shooting lasers at us in real life.

Build a box just above the surface of the pond, and make the floor of this box out of wooden platforms (you can cast your fishing line through platforms). Leave only 1 block of air between the bottom of the box and the water, and have the platform floor be raised up about 3-4 blocks (the sides of the box extend down lower than the platform floor).

Nothing flying can get in, and the slimes can't jump from the water up onto the floor, so the only thing that can possibly get in are spectres which shouldn't be in the Hallow and enchanted weapons (which don't spawn on the surface).

It might be a player issue, but that wont change the fact that if:
There's no bug involved here, and its just how the game works, then it works in a stupid way and should be changed. Im not talking about a handful of fish here. Remember the part where I've said i've fished up over 120 items? Yea, that was no exaggeration. If the pixiefish is truly this rare, by design, then thats stupid and should be changed.

Also, dont bring IRL fishing into this. The reason fewer and fewer people fish is because its :red:ing boring. I've fished before. Actually reeling in the fish is great, but waiting30 minutes to hours to get that sensation is lame, and not fun.

Terraria should be fun, above all things. Waiting minute after minute is not fun, ESPECIALLY when there are enemies nagging me and i cannot fight back because my hands are occupied with holding the rod. There are no carnivorous flying sentient lanterns shooting lasers at us in real life.
If you don't meet a requirement for something, you simply don't get it. There is no stupid way and shouldn't be changed.
If you do not meet the DPS for Skeletron or a Mech boss, you simply do not beat him. Ever. Nerf those to 1 HP so people can beat them if they are obviously too bad for them?

Fun is a perspective thing and shouldn't be an argument. Everyones perception of fun is different.

If you don't meet a requirement for something, you simply don't get it. There is no stupid way and shouldn't be changed.
If you do not meet the DPS for Skeletron or a Mech boss, you simply do not beat him. Ever. Nerf those to 1 HP so people can beat them if they are obviously too bad for them?

Fun is a perspective thing and shouldn't be an argument. Everyones perception of fun is different.
Overexaggeration in the wrong direction.

Overexaggeration in the wrong direction.
Okay: If you do not meet the requirement for a quest fish because you don't watch your fishing power, which you can see in-game with an item, you simply do not catch the fish.
Otherwise fishing power and every item that boosts it becomes obsolete.

Okay: If you do not meet the requirement for a quest fish because you don't watch your fishing power, which you can see in-game with an item, you simply do not catch the fish.
Otherwise fishing power and every item that boosts it becomes obsolete.

And why should 1-2 quest fish be so much more difficult to catch than the rest of the quest fish?

They all yield the same reward, why should some of them require much more effort than others?

Fishing Power is primarily to increase your chances of landing rare catches such as the hardmode weapons, the zephyr fish, fishes used in powerful hardmode-only potions, etc. It shouldn't be a barrier to catching a flippin' quest fish. That's where the "Stupid" part comes in. You can catch, say, a Dynamite Fish at the very beginning of the game, and it will give you the same exact reward as catching a Pixiefish later on. Why would the latter require 100+ fishing power when the former, you can catch with 40?

I think this whole thread is getting derailed. I don't believe there is a "hard minimum" required for catching quest fish. So this whole debate is really just throwing a lot of steam over nothing.

As for the actual issue, it is definitely possible to catch these fish under normal circumstances, I've confirmed it myself. However, reviewing the code, it looks like Pixiefish and Mirage Fish were accidentally set to a higher rarity tier than other Quest Fish. This isn't even consistent with the Unicorn Fish, another Hallow Quest Fish, so I'm led to believe this was just a simple typo.

Made a ticket, it'll be fixed, lets move on pls ^_^

I think this whole thread is getting derailed. I don't believe there is a "hard minimum" required for catching quest fish. So this whole debate is really just throwing a lot of steam over nothing.

As for the actual issue, it is definitely possible to catch these fish under normal circumstances, I've confirmed it myself. However, reviewing the code, it looks like Pixiefish and Mirage Fish were accidentally set to a higher rarity tier than other Quest Fish. This isn't even consistent with the Unicorn Fish, another Hallow Quest Fish, so I'm led to believe this was just a simple typo.

Made a ticket, it'll be fixed, lets move on pls ^_^
Thanks, but dont blame us for derailing. I think its pretty clear which one person in this thread is acting like a prick.

Back
Top Bottom