Game Mechanics Planetary Dance (PD)

Piolho666

Skeletron
Exactly. Planets in Terraria.
Now, first of all is that this idea i originally posted it on the Terraria Fan Ideas Wiki. (yes the funny site that has the sun/earth lord page). I want to get some feedback about it so i would like to receive criticism from some people. The wiki is very inhabited so i rarely see people commenting on my page and its even rarer to see people criticizing it, so i guessed that it was a nice idea to convert my article to this page. The link for the original page is right here.
Secondly, sorry for my broken english. I'm from Brazil so my english might not be so good after all. One last thing is that this article is a work in progress, so expect to see changes on it. Other pieces of content like planets and stuff will appear too.

Once you finally defeat the mythological beast, the Cthulhu, his body explodes, and it is finally destroyed. However, losing a battle doesn't mean losing the war. His physical form was destroyed, but his soul and powers wasn't. Just on a split of a second, right after the explosion of his body, these two things escaped and came straight to his original habitat, the Moon.
To make the trip to the moon easier, Moon lord's spirit used the last bits of his remaining power to approach the planets to your world, including the moon itself.
You, without noticing, came back to your town and just turned back to your normal state. BUT, when the night falls, you start to notice something scary. The moon gets bigger and huge planets can be seen from the sky. If you talk to the NPCs, all of them starts to panic, excluding the Cyborg, that is searching a new way to travel to planets safely.
Now, your main objective is to kill Moon Lord for real this time, by travelling to his original home and killing the evil by the root.

Planetary Dance starts on the first night just after you kill Moon Lord. If you kill him from the first time when it is night, the event will instantly start. This event, as the lore says, approachs the planets from yours, making them explorable. You travel to the planets by using Teleporters (not the Steampunker ones) that does exactly what the name says.
Each planet has its own teleporter for you to travel to it, and the ways of getting these teleporters are variated. The first teleporter that you get teleports you to the Moon and instead of you crafting it, it is the Cyborg that crafts it to you.
About the planets, they are basically mini worlds; They have their own bosses, blocks, ores, monsters, npcs etc.

You start on the first night when Moon Lord is killed for the first time. A message saying "The planets are approaching!" will appear. After that, immediately Mars, Venus and Mercury will become visible, and the Moon will appear much bigger than before.
You now need to talk to the Cyborg, as he will give you information about what is going on. He will then sell to you a Lunar Teleporter. It is the thing that will teleport you to the Moon.

Moon
Mercury/Mars
Jupiter
Saturn (rings)
Saturn
Uranus
Triton (Neptune's moon)
Pluto

Screenshot_10 (1).png

The planets seen from the sky. Notice that the Moon is larger than before.

Last edited:
Getting enough of those ingredients would usually require to fight moon lord several more times (especially considering you might would like moon-lord-tier armors too, for the events.

meteors - or meteor-like things are also absolutely horrible, because they often ruin the landscape. when they fall after EoW/BoC, they are a pain, but you usually didn't built that much stuff yet all over the world, but by post moon-lord, that could be a huge problem, if it hits some stuff that is important - of course, you can keep them safe with chests and the like, but then it brings up the problem, what if most of the world is covered? though that is not quite likely, but it would still cause all sorts of problems.

also, what could you gain from visiting other planets, and fighting moon-lord again somewhere elsewhere...?

Basically, planets would be unique worlds that haves their own content and stuff like bosses etc
Moon lord will obviosuly be completely different to the vanilla one
About the crafting recipe, how could i simplify it then?

I don't really know about "unique worlds" because you would be far away from your base, you would need to set up some new ones, and... on several planets. with that many planets, it would be tons of content, which I kinda fail to see modding teams to achieve... I mean, there are awesome things, but to make them interesting, you would need at least as much content for each planet, as the vanilla game has for "Earth" (or whatever planet is is).
Otherwise you would just end up jumping from planet to planet and wouldn't really stay long enough on any to actually make sense building decent bases or enjoying the place.

What sort of things would be on these planets? how about different approaches, like making them into biomes or mini-biomes? but not biomes that are arbitrarily spawned in the world, by the point defeating moon lord, you usually used to how it looks like, at that would ruin it. plus, especially small worlds are often pretty cramped already.
So, how about unique blocks that behave like ebonstone/crimstone/etc. spreading their respective biomes. you could aquire there and could place them, and create these biomes where you want. or something like that. even on small worlds, at least 50% of the underground is rarely used for anything. even more on larger worlds.

these things also could be turned into solutions or such to spread them faster. and removed from the world with some other solution.

Crafting recipe? Well, if you don't even craft it yourself, but the cyborg crafts it for you, why do you even need that? just make him sell it post moon lord and that's it. that, or the blocks to create the biome or anything.

I don't really know about "unique worlds" because you would be far away from your base, you would need to set up some new ones, and... on several planets. with that many planets, it would be tons of content, which I kinda fail to see modding teams to achieve... I mean, there are awesome things, but to make them interesting, you would need at least as much content for each planet, as the vanilla game has for "Earth" (or whatever planet is is).
Otherwise you would just end up jumping from planet to planet and wouldn't really stay long enough on any to actually make sense building decent bases or enjoying the place.

What sort of things would be on these planets? how about different approaches, like making them into biomes or mini-biomes? but not biomes that are arbitrarily spawned in the world, by the point defeating moon lord, you usually used to how it looks like, at that would ruin it. plus, especially small worlds are often pretty cramped already.
So, how about unique blocks that behave like ebonstone/crimstone/etc. spreading their respective biomes. you could aquire there and could place them, and create these biomes where you want. or something like that. even on small worlds, at least 50% of the underground is rarely used for anything. even more on larger worlds.

these things also could be turned into solutions or such to spread them faster. and removed from the world with some other solution.

Crafting recipe? Well, if you don't even craft it yourself, but the cyborg crafts it for you, why do you even need that? just make him sell it post moon lord and that's it. that, or the blocks to create the biome or anything.
Fair point and nice idea actually, i will see what i can do tomorrow.
Thanks!

No problem.
I know that's very different from your original idea, but I don't really think that could work the way you described it at first.
I mean, nothing that you said was wrong. Entire worlds would need to have huge loads of content to receive some more value.
On the TFIW Moon page i made some content to it and i think that it should have more so i have two alternatives: giving more content to it or converting them into biomes.

I mean, nothing that you said was wrong. Entire worlds would need to have huge loads of content to receive some more value.
On the TFIW Moon page i made some content to it and i think that it should have more so i have two alternatives: giving more content to it or converting them into biomes.
Yeah, and that's why I think they're better as biomes. Making biomes is still super complex too, but creating entire new dimensions - and several at that - is something else...

Yeah, and that's why I think they're better as biomes. Making biomes is still super complex too, but creating entire new dimensions - and several at that - is something else...
I will try to keep the planet thing but adding new content and stuff. Maybe there would be some stuff that you could do after you are done with the bosses here?? Also, if you want to, here's the link to the moon page

There, i made a little further description about planets even tough its just a slight change and i removed the moon fragment thing.

Read some of that wiki, and there are a few interesting ideas in general, but

For one planet (or moon), it would be possible to get enough content, alright, but even then it would take lots of effort to be actually well-balanced and fun. I still don't really see it working for several planets though, because each would require tons on content.

It seems quite linear and boring. the surface is mostly a wasteland - given, the moon's surface looks like just a gray wasteland (although in Terraria, planets can have one from several moons, not even just the gray rock, but there are some very different and very colorful ones. though yes, if you would like to be consistent with that, it would require as many alternative "moon" dimensions as moon graphics there are for the game...

but back on topics, it tells about some debuffs that seems to be just a pain to deal with, pretty much fixates the celestial stone as one equipment - which most characters usually have by that point, but it's still boring, because it would somewhat "lock" one accessory slot. it's also most useful for melee, which would suggest the character to go for melee class maybe...

you're also talking about bloody eclipse, but putting aside the increased monster spawnrates and stuff, saying "certain materials are fine, others will be dismantled by enemies" I think that's an awful idea for a game like terraria. greatly limiting builders. monsters that destroy tiles or anything like that are also among the most annoying things in the game, that's why almost all of them got changed since.

overall, I would still suggest to just make it into a biome you can artifically create. the post said that most of the content is underground anyway. I don't really see the point of an entire new dimension where you waste the whole surface at the start stating it's just a wasteland anyway. that sounds boring.

bosses are one thing, but there are many other aspect of the game that makes it Terraria, I think. it's an adventure with all sorts of choices to take, and wonderful discoveries to make. to build pretty things, and to just enjoy all sort of other aspects of the game as well, from fishing, to golfing and all. not just fighting.
who needs a bunch of new dimensions with little content, and linear progression, that even limits building, and overally doesn't offer much besides a few cavern treasures below a quiet wasteland, and a few strong bosses to takle with awfully overpowered weapons (because if you keep the power-scaling, you probably want to go above lunar-tier, and those are already ridicolously overpowered (IMO)

sure, there might be a few players who would enjoy that, but it would be likely a miss with most players, and sounds like lacks replay-value too with being all linear and offers little besides a boring wasteland to look at, and some linearly aquirable cavern treasures and some bosses to puch in the face with them.

not to hurt your motivation, but I think in that form, this idea just wouldn't work well. It might could work though with changes. that is why I suggest changes, because I think otherwise you would end up feeling bad it's not received as well as you imagined. and huge ideas are dangerous to begin with, many new modders dream of things like making their very own Calamity/Thorium-sized mods, but then quite often, the gas runs out of the tank halfway and they abamdone the project altogether. Aim for something smaller first, I think, and you can always expand upon things some more and more after.

that might be just my opinion though.

Read some of that wiki, and there are a few interesting ideas in general, but

For one planet (or moon), it would be possible to get enough content, alright, but even then it would take lots of effort to be actually well-balanced and fun. I still don't really see it working for several planets though, because each would require tons on content.

It seems quite linear and boring. the surface is mostly a wasteland - given, the moon's surface looks like just a gray wasteland (although in Terraria, planets can have one from several moons, not even just the gray rock, but there are some very different and very colorful ones. though yes, if you would like to be consistent with that, it would require as many alternative "moon" dimensions as moon graphics there are for the game...

but back on topics, it tells about some debuffs that seems to be just a pain to deal with, pretty much fixates the celestial stone as one equipment - which most characters usually have by that point, but it's still boring, because it would somewhat "lock" one accessory slot. it's also most useful for melee, which would suggest the character to go for melee class maybe...

you're also talking about bloody eclipse, but putting aside the increased monster spawnrates and stuff, saying "certain materials are fine, others will be dismantled by enemies" I think that's an awful idea for a game like terraria. greatly limiting builders. monsters that destroy tiles or anything like that are also among the most annoying things in the game, that's why almost all of them got changed since.

overall, I would still suggest to just make it into a biome you can artifically create. the post said that most of the content is underground anyway. I don't really see the point of an entire new dimension where you waste the whole surface at the start stating it's just a wasteland anyway. that sounds boring.

bosses are one thing, but there are many other aspect of the game that makes it Terraria, I think. it's an adventure with all sorts of choices to take, and wonderful discoveries to make. to build pretty things, and to just enjoy all sort of other aspects of the game as well, from fishing, to golfing and all. not just fighting.
who needs a bunch of new dimensions with little content, and linear progression, that even limits building, and overally doesn't offer much besides a few cavern treasures below a quiet wasteland, and a few strong bosses to takle with awfully overpowered weapons (because if you keep the power-scaling, you probably want to go above lunar-tier, and those are already ridicolously overpowered (IMO)

sure, there might be a few players who would enjoy that, but it would be likely a miss with most players, and sounds like lacks replay-value too with being all linear and offers little besides a boring wasteland to look at, and some linearly aquirable cavern treasures and some bosses to puch in the face with them.

not to hurt your motivation, but I think in that form, this idea just wouldn't work well. It might could work though with changes. that is why I suggest changes, because I think otherwise you would end up feeling bad it's not received as well as you imagined. and huge ideas are dangerous to begin with, many new modders dream of things like making their very own Calamity/Thorium-sized mods, but then quite often, the gas runs out of the tank halfway and they abamdone the project altogether. Aim for something smaller first, I think, and you can always expand upon things some more and more after.

that might be just my opinion though.
sorry for my late response, but then, i will try to start with small stuff. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom