Weapons & Equip Plantera's Hook

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
Plantera's Hook would be a drop from Plantera with a 1/8 chance. It behaves like a triple grappling hook and acts largely as an upgraded version of the Ivy Whip. In appearance, it looks like smaller versions of Plantera's own hooks. What makes this grappling hook more useful than other hooks is one thing: Instead of being limited to just foreground blocks, it has the ability to latch onto background walls by targeting them with the cursor. Wherever your cursor was at the time the hook was fired, it will latch onto that background wall unless a foreground block is in the way. Other than that, it has a range of about 30 tiles, which is more than the Dual Hook, but less than the Bat, Spooky, and Christmas Hooks.

Additionally, this grappling hook would be weaponized. Firing this hook at an enemy will latch on to it and munch away while the left mouse button is held, kind of like a weaker version of the Piranha Gun that doubles as a Grapple. If you just fire the Hook normally, it will penetrate through enemies dealing damage until it reaches its target and latches on. The latched Hook will continue to deal damage to enemies on contact. It will have a base damage of 25, so it's not too strong, but still powerful enough to be a worthy prize from Plantera.

Short version:

<F for the fallen images from TO>
Plantera's Hook
25 Damage.
~30 Tile reach.
* 3 Hooks can be deployed at once.
* Can grapple to background walls.
* Weaponized. Can be used to latch onto and damage enemies.
Dropped by:
* Plantera - 1/8 (12.5%)

As of 1.3, the Thorn Hook was added as a Hook drop from Plantera, but it isn't any more powerful than other Hardmode Hooks.

Comments are appreciated.

Last edited:
I had this idea too when i fought him, but i forgot to post this, thanks, i loved the sprite too :)
*i disapprove the drop chance, that could be the rarest to drop*

This looks really nice and the range and other stats seem balanced. Simple yet very interesting.

The idea of a hook being a flail, and a grappling hook just doesn't seem right. :/ Well not rlly a flail, but a grappling hook weapon? you should take out the melee stats, doesn't really make any sense. Even though it has low melee damage, it should still just be a hook to grapple onto walls and blocks. Actually, that will be hard too, if you want to grapple onto a block and grapple onto a wall instead. I'm sorry, but this doesn't seem good. I Like the sprite, though.

The idea of a hook being a flail, and a grappling hook just doesn't seem right. :/ Well not rlly a flail, but a grappling hook weapon? you should take out the melee stats, doesn't really make any sense. Even though it has low melee damage, it should still just be a hook to grapple onto walls and blocks. Actually, that will be hard too, if you want to grapple onto a block and grapple onto a wall instead. I'm sorry, but this doesn't seem good. I Like the sprite, though.
You want a Plantera's Hook, except without the things that could make it fun or interesting to use? I'm sorry you feel that way.

It just seems a little complex, that's all.

Well if you're looking at just the grappling hook side of it, it's not complex. It will go to the position of your cursor to hook a wall. If there is a block in the way, it will grapple that instead. As an added bonus it deals damage to mobs that touch it, which makes up for the decrease in lenght from the spooky hook.

I agree with everything, except the "grapple-on-walls" part. I feel like that'd make you 100% lava protected underground (since you'd just grapple onto a wall instead of a block). How about making it faster than normal hooks instead?

I agree with everything, except the "grapple-on-walls" part. I feel like that'd make you 100% lava protected underground (since you'd just grapple onto a wall instead of a block). How about making it faster than normal hooks instead?

Well the main purpose of this is to add variety. And while grappling on walls being overpowered might be true, you'd have to pwn plantera multiple times to get this. So it is balanced in that sense.

Back
Top Bottom