Weapons & Equip Play-style Accessories

Thoughts?

• Yay, but I wouldn't use it if it was implemented.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PeggleFrank

Terrarian
As of now, most (if not all) accessories give a multiplicative/additive increase to a certain value; very few actually decrease these values, as an accessory with negative effects simply won't be used.

Making accessories with purely negative effects won't help, for the reason stated above, so I propose a few new accessories (and, most importantly, a concept for future accessories). These accessories, instead of giving purely positive or negative effects, give both, and fit into a very unique accessory slot: the play-style slot. It's located underneath the accessory slots, and has visibility options, just like any other slot. Only one play-style slot can be equipped at any given time, but the effects of play-style accessories are drastic compared to regular accessories.

Please note that the effects applied are applied in the order listed. This means that, if 4 is subtracted from the base damage and then the base damage is reduced by 30%, the 4 will be subtracted before the percentage is applied. Exceptions are given a superscript value, showing the order in which the effects are applied.

Onto some sample play-style accessories:

Lead Sights
  • Gives ranged players the potential for more critical strikes and accuracy at the cost of movement speed and base damage.
    • Increases critical strike chance by 35%
    • Increases critical strike damage by 15%
    • Increases accuracy by 100%
    • Decreases base damage by 20%
    • Decreases movement speed by 20%
Polished Knife
  • Gives melee players the potential for quick strikes and dodges at the cost of weapon size and non-critical damage output.
    • Decreases use time by a flat value of 3
    • Decreases use time by 30%
    • Increases critical strike chance by 40%
    • Increases movement speed by 35%
    • Increases dodge chance by 15%
    • Decreases base damage by 60%
    • Decreases critical strike damage by 30%
    • Reduces weapon size by 30%
Ethereal Portal
  • Gives mages the potential for trivializing mana usage and spell conjuration at the cost of intensity.
    • Mana regeneration is no longer affected by combat
    • Decreases use time by a flat value of 3
    • Increases base damage by 10
    • Increases mana regeneration by 25%
    • Decreases base damage by 50%
    • Attacks no longer apply debuffs
    • Increases incoming magic damage by 20%
Magnetic Accelerator
  • Gives ranged players the potential for higher damage and accuracy at the cost of autofire and critical strike chance.
    • Increases base damage by 60%²
    • All weapons are hit-scan
    • Increases critical strike damage by 200%
    • Increases accuracy by 100%
    • Decreases base damage by a flat value of 25¹
    • Decreases critical strike chance by 60%
    • All weapons are semi-automatic
Grip Extension
  • Gives melee players the potential for longer rods with more pleasing aftereffects at the cost of use speed for regular weapons and thrust speed for extra-long poles.
    • Increases weapon size by 40%
    • Increases base damage by 20
    • Increases knockback by 25%
    • Increases base damage by 30%
    • Decreases swing speed by 60%
    • No critical hits
Archmage's Totem
  • Gives mages the potential for extremely powerful magic attacks and magic resistance at the cost of mana regeneration.
    • Increases magic damage by 275%
    • Incoming damage is reduced by 20% of current mana
    • Absorb 10 mana upon receiving any damage
    • Absorb 50% of incoming physical damage as mana
    • Absorb 200% of incoming magic damage as mana
    • Increases mana cost by 200%
    • Mana potions are 75% less effective
    • Mana doesn't regenerate
Bullet Printer
  • Gives ranged players the potential for extremely fast-firing weapons at the cost of damage and accuracy.
    • Decreases ammo consumption chance by 50%
    • Decreases use time by a flat value of 2
    • All weapons are fully automatic
    • Decreases accuracy by 200%
    • Decreases base damage by 35%
    • Attacks no longer apply debuffs
    • No critical hits
Amplification Motor
  • Gives melee players the potential for quick swings at the cost of weapon size and damage.
    • Decreases use time by 60%²
    • Increases critical strike chance by 400%
    • All weapons are fully automatic
    • Weapons can't stop swinging
    • Increases use time by a flat value of 7¹
    • Decreases weapon size by 25%
    • Decreases base damage by 10%
    • Decreases critical strike damage by 80%
Magic Glass
  • Gives mages the potential for total magic nullification and all the downsides that brings.
    • Decreases incoming magic damage by 80%
    • Reflect 25% of magic attacks
    • Mana potions are 100% less effective
    • Mana doesn't regenerate
    • Increases incoming physical damage by 30%
Magnetic Skateboard
  • Allows baseball players of the most lethal of leagues to wall-ride at the cost of jumping normally.
    • Increases movement speed by 40%
    • Allows the riding of walls, blazing wheel style
    • No jumping
Party Hat
  • Gives clowns a little extra love at the cost of your play-style slot.
    • Increases fun by 20%
    • Creates confetti on every attack
    • Creates whoopee cushion noise upon receiving damage
Feedback is appreciated.

EDIT: Fixed superscripts by manually inserting the Unicode, since this forum doesn't seem to support super/subscripts.

Last edited:
Taking back 200% of magic damage as mana? Thats every magic attack...times 2, bring it down to 75%

Also whats the point of a party hat, that might as well be vanity

Taking back 200% of magic damage as mana? Thats every magic attack...times 2, bring it down to 75%

"Incoming" magic damage. You gain no mana from attacking enemies with magic, as that would be a closed cycle and would completely negate the downsides of the accessory. You actually need to get hurt to get mana, which can be useful for annoying enemies with low health and high damage, but unsuitable for bosses. Gaining mana from attacking enemies is just the opposite; low-health enemies give you very little mana back compared to what you spent killing them, but bosses can fuel your mana reserves for a very long time.

Also whats the point of a party hat, that might as well be vanity

Placeholder, if you genuinely don't want anything in your play-style slots. Accessories are almost always positive, so there's no point in equipping a useless accessory if it's outclassed by something objectively better. Play-style accessories are extremely positive and extremely negative; while not every player will have one, the players that don't can have confetti instead.

Actually, thinking about that a bit more, I should remove the base damage debuff.[/QUOTE]

Most of these items would render a lot of items useless, and I dislike the 'genie'* mechanic.
Also, critical damage is x2, and as far as I know it can't really be changed.

*'genie' mechanic - get +X in something wile getting -Y in something else related.

I don't understand the whole "magic damage mana" thing. Enemies either doranged or melee/contact damage. This would make mages pretty much worthless.
Unless you're talking about a mana cuffs type thing. But then that raises the quesiton why would I use this over mana/celestial cuffs?

If I wanted to trade anything in exchange for increases in other areas, I would use accessories already in the game - for example, I exchange potential mobility (wings, boots) for defense or attack boosts in boss fights.

So, I don't see any use in these accessories, and seems to me like a stealth "more accessory slots" suggestion.

Most of these items would render a lot of items useless, and I dislike the 'genie'* mechanic.

*'genie' mechanic - get +X in something while getting -Y in something else related.

If you can think of a different, more suitable mechanic, do tell. I based the stat increases/decreases off of every other accessory, and multiplied them.

Currently, an accessory will add (or rarely remove) from a starting value. That starting value is always going to be 100% of the corresponding value; if you have no accessories, a weapon with a damage of 37 will, unsurprisingly, deal 37 damage. Adding on an accessory that increases base damage might raise that to 46. The play-style accessories are different from regular accessories because they both add and subtract from weapon stats; whereas a regular accessory might increase a weapon's damage, critical strike chance, or weapon size, play-style accessories increase those benefits even more, at the cost of an equally-massive drawback in another related field.

Due to this, instead of having stats that are all above the norm, some stats are boosted while others are stunted. The only thing preventing you from inversing the polarity of your lower/higher stats is the unique effect brought on by most of the play-style accessories.

Also, critical damage is x2, and as far as I know it can't really be changed.

So be it. These are just examples of what might be possible, so they likely wouldn't fit if implemented into the game as-is.

I don't understand the whole "magic damage mana" thing. Enemies either do ranged or melee/contact damage. This would make mages pretty much worthless.

There are other play-style accessories for mages, more suitable for everyday situations. If you're entering a biome where a lot of magic-based enemies spawn, such as the dungeon, equipping the Archmage's totem might make your life a bit easier. Of course, it also requires that you change your play-style slightly, but the same applies to almost all accessories.

Also, magic damage is applied by enemies using magic, while physical damage is applied by regular projectiles or contact with an enemy. You don't even have to be a mage to use the magic oriented play-style accessories; if you're a melee user, you may want to give up your melee play-style accessory for the Archmage's totem in order to make yourself more resilient against magic.

Unless you're talking about a mana cuffs type thing. But then that raises the quesiton why would I use this over mana/celestial cuffs?

The cuffs can be stacked with the Archmage's totem in order to increase the amount of mana gained and thus increase your survivability (incoming damage reduction based upon your current mana pool) and DPS. (more mana = more spells)

That's not to say that the cuffs are necessary, though; while the cuffs only suppress your weakness, another accessory can boost one of the strengths you already have. In a scenario where your positives outweigh your negatives (e.g. having more health regeneration in a moon fight as opposed to faster movement speed), you'll probably want to swap out your cuffs with something more important.

If I wanted to trade anything in exchange for increases in other areas, I would use accessories already in the game - for example, I exchange potential mobility (wings, boots) for defense or attack boosts in boss fights.

So, I don't see any use in these accessories, and seems to me like a stealth "more accessory slots" suggestion.

Unlike regular accessories, these don't give you overall help or hindrance. In specific stats, like critical strike chance, base damage, use time, etc. they have extreme effects, but those extremities are offset by the other positive/negative effects of the accessory.

In other words, simply adding another accessory slot would allow you to pick your favorite benefit and make your character that much stronger. For play-style accessories, however, you're picking accessories that cater to your play-style and have negative effects which you won't notice. A ranger that uses a melee-oriented play-style accessory, for example, will be severely hindered by higher use time and will be unlikely to take advantage of increased weapon size. If they simply swap to a sword or other melee weapon, their accessories/armor may not be geared towards it. (it's tedious to swap out of shroomite armor and all of your accessories just so you can take full advantage of your play-style accessory, when you could avoid the problem by simply not using it in the first place. Likewise, using a ranger-focused accessory oriented towards more aggressive play-styles may force you to change your tactics, accessories, or armor more than you'd like. As such, you may find yourself not using any ranger-focused play-style accessories, despite being a ranger)

So it's just for those who love limiting themselves by adhering to the archaic concept of "classes," then? I wouldn't care if this was added - another pointless thing (to me) in the game, like multiplayer - though it would probably delay other additions which I could care about, so I can't support it.

So it's just for those who love limiting themselves by adhering to the archaic concept of "classes," then? I wouldn't care if this was added - another pointless thing (to me) in the game, like multiplayer - though it would probably delay other additions which I could care about, so I can't support it.

If every effect was negative, then it would be limiting yourself. While it may be harder to carry out life as a ranger using a melee-oriented play-style accessory, it's certainly still doable, and it'll likely include some things that'll help you if you can exploit them.In a situation where, say, you're a ranger using a melee accessory which limits movement speed, you can offset that by using accessories which increase movement speed. That can suppress the issue, but you're still giving up accessory slots in order to account for a problem that you've only brought upon yourself. A better solution would be to deal with the positive effects of the accessories, not just the negative; if it increases damage by a flat value, you can equip a fast-firing weapon in order to take advantage of that. Likewise, if it increases damage by a percent or decreases by a flat value, you'll want to use a weapon with a high base damage.

Due to all of that, a ranger can reap the unintended benefits that come with a melee-oriented accessory. If you were using standard accessories, you could just equip the ones that give bonuses you want, but with play-style accessories, you need to change the way you play the game (for reasons stated above, this does not make each accessory exclusive to a certain class; it simply fluctuates stats until they resemble the stats of a typical ranger, warrior, mage etc. For example, you can try to be a mage "class" by increasing your mana regeneration, magic damage, or magic resistance, but there's nothing preventing you from playing more aggressively and trading your magic resistance for regular armor, or swapping out magic damage for ranged damage and mana regeneration for weapon size. You can still be as effective as a player using maximum magic damage/regeneration/resistance, but you'll need to change your play-style accordingly) in order to get the most out of the accessory.

As you (indirectly) stated, it's entirely optional. If the play-style accessories gave positive effects and nothing else, then a player using them would be more powerful over a player who isn't, but that isn't the case. They simply open up more alternatives to accessory, armor, and potion layouts, which aren't better or worse than any other layout that is achievable without a play-style accessory.

This is a nice idea for the most part. These items sorta work the same way TF2 items work. They all have an upside and a downside. But I did notice a few problems.
Increases critical strike chance by 400%
Wouldn't just increasing it by 100% make it crit every single attack? I don't see the point in 400%...
Increases use time by a flat value of 71
That would make the swords swing slower. The higher the use time, the slower the weapon. And since the description of this accessory says it lets you swing swords really fast, this must be a typo.
Mana potions are 100% less effective
So mana potions are useless? Now, I'm no scientist or anything, but I'm pretty sure 100% means the whole thing. So if that's the case, it'd probably be better just to say it makes mana potion useless.

I'm probably wrong with some of my points, feel free to correct me.

Oh lord, the conversion from Word to Xenforo turned the superscript into regular numbers. I feel like a complete fool right now, sorry.

Wouldn't just increasing it by 100% make it crit every single attack? I don't see the point in 400%...

400% is multiplicative, hence the percent sign. If the weapon's critical strike chance is 7, it'll be raised to 28. Anything about 25 is pointless, although I think the game supports "super" critical hits that happen once you go above the 100% critical strike chance. I may be mixing that up with a mechanic from another game, though.

That would make the swords swing slower. The higher the use time, the slower the weapon. And since the description of this accessory says it lets you swing swords really fast, this must be a typo.

The superscript bugged out, check it again. My bad.

So mana potions are useless? Now, I'm no scientist or anything, but I'm pretty sure 100% means the whole thing. So if that's the case, it'd probably be better just to say it makes mana potion useless.

I'll add that in for clarity. When I was typing this, I didn't think to translate that into more understandable terms.

I'm probably wrong with some of my points, feel free to correct me.

Not at all.

Oh lord, the conversion from Word to Xenforo turned the superscript into regular numbers. I feel like a complete fool right now, sorry.
400% is multiplicative, hence the percent sign. If the weapon's critical strike chance is 7, it'll be raised to 28. Anything about 25 is pointless, although I think the game supports "super" critical hits that happen once you go above the 100% critical strike chance. I may be mixing that up with a mechanic from another game, though.
The superscript bugged out, check it again. My bad.
I'll add that in for clarity. When I was typing this, I didn't think to translate that into more understandable terms.
Not at all.
Ah, that makes much more sense. Thanks for clarifying. :happy:

You forgot to add where you get them.

Magnetic skateboard will prob be hard to code reasonably (You would have to sprite character sideways, let particles go sideways, and other stuff)
Lead sights gives accuracy 100%? Nah, too op would literally make Chlorophyte Bullets useless.
Polished knife decreasing base damage by 60% would. make most weapons severely useless at their tier (Ex: most of the early Hardmode weapons would do about 1-3 damage to most enemy’s because of defense.
Ethereal Portal decreasing base damage by 50%, See Polished Knife. Also the “more incoming magic damage is only
bad in multiplayer.
Magnetic Accelerator Again, 100% accuracy, and decreasing base damage by 25, no.
Grip Extension increasing base damage by 40% and 20 damage is too op.
Archmages totem. Slow the HECK down with magic damage being upped by 275%. Mana regening being 0 and mana potions being 75% useless AND increasing mana cost by 200% basically makes mage weapons useless.
Bullet Printer. Decreasing accuracy by 200% makes most weapons bad, Plus how the heck do u even decrease accuracy? Add on the 35% less damage and ranged weapons just bad.
Amplification motor making weapons not stop swinging will cause some issues. 7 more use time is Nono, and -20% basedamage makes it a big Nono.
Magic Glass Again no mana Regen, and +30% incoming damage, and making mana potions useless, how u even Regen mana?
Party Hat. How to increase fun by 30%? Party flask is for more confetti and I don’t see anything wrong with whoopee cushion noise on damage.

I don’t see any way these will realistically fit into the game. Also you forgot summoners and throwers.

Back
Top Bottom