Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Multi
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
So I know these issues are already known, but I had them and want to point out what I did to "fix" them for my specific case.

I run a private linux server box for playing with friends. Upon setting it up everything worked for everyone but me, though a couple people had slight lag. I had major lag and my keyboard didn't work right. I could only move my character briefly and slightly and only while holding the spacebar... which did not cause the character to jump. I was also experiencing extreme framerate slowdowns, especially when the world was saving.

I have a Corsair Vengeance K70 mechanical keyboard. There are no macro keys, no software exists for it, and the LEDs are just red. A friend has a similar Corsair keyboard, different model. In his case the LED's are also red, but Terraria did do the lighting effect to his keys. It's not so pretty on non RGB keyboards.

My steps to fix movement: Restart the game, nope. Wipe and reinstall the game and the settings/saves from the games folder... Nope. Restart the computer, yup. It occurred to me though that the only reason I could imagine for this to happen and only fix with a restart was interference with something else "captureing" the keyboard. I DID have Xming open to remote desktop control the Linux server until I went to restart, so maybe that's a cause.

After that I went to fix the lag issues. At the time I was running/controlling the server through the included linux start script through puTTY. After we finished, I killed the server and edited the start script to run the game with "screen -S terraria ./TerrariaServer.bin.${ext} $@" so I could keep it running with puTTY closed. Either the restart or the change in execution methods fixed the lag for me.

Also, there has always been a bit of lag and desync in the game depending on the frameskip setting. I can confirm through myself and others that it still exists. Off is usually best.

We are looking into this control issue. It only impacts a small minority of players, but its enough players over a large enough group to have a big impact.

We are also looking into optimizations, for Mac/Linux as well, but they will be a little slower to come.

Back
Top Bottom