Game Mechanics Player Influenced World Generation

Mage-of-Rage

Duke Fishron
After the 1.3.2 update players were given the ability to choose what “evil” biome would be present during world creation (Corruption/Crimson). I liked the idea as it gave the player a way to directly influence the generation of the world as a reward rather than have it present right at the start.

What makes the world gen random is where most of the replay factor of Terraria comes from, you’ll never know what you’ll get. Even during the experimental Minecraft inspired seed function in the game one seed can create six different worlds (two for each world size) of the player’s choosing.

However this got me thinking “What if I don’t want something completely random?” “What if I wanted a world tailored to my needs right there and then?”

And that’s where I got the idea of Player Influenced World Generation.

The system isn’t going to be something complex like say Tedit, rather something like the Corruption/Crimson option, a way to choose what random aspect you will get if that makes any sense and just like the Corruption/Crimson option it won’t be available right away.

When the player first boots up the game, assuming this is their first time playing, the option would be absent and world gen will continue like normal. Once they defeat WoF for the first time however a new option (Advanced Generation) will appear alongside the traditional “Create New World” option in the game. Many options will be locked at this point, and will only be unlocked via progress in the game. There will also be the standard “Random” option for each category if the player so desires and will be the default when no other option is selected.

1.) Event Options

Defeating all three of the Mechanical Bosses allows the player to adjust or even turn of the frequency of certain random events options being on a slider of 0-10 (5 being the default) examples of which are...

Falling Stars
Rain
Slime Rain
Blood Moon
Goblin Invasions (Still allows manual summoning via item)
Meteors (Still allows random occurrence when breaking Shadow Orb)
Pirate Invasion (Still allows manual summoning via item)
Solar Eclipse (Still allows manual summoning via item)
All Random Boss Encounters

It also allows the player to choose if they want to start the game during Day or Night.

2.) Ore Select (Copper/Tin, Cobalt/Palladium ect.)

Defeating Plantera will give players the ability to choose which ore they would want to see generated during the start of the game/after breaking altars. This would allow the player to freely choose the ore they would want to obtain during the game. The option will also have the ability to select both ores of the same category (ex: allowing both Gold and Platinum to spawn) to be available during world generation, obviously this will limit the frequency of the ore if only one was chosen (you’d be seeing more Gold Ore if you choose Gold only as the ore spawns isn’t shared between the two) and the generation will be split 50:50.

3.) Mini-Biomes, Structures and Biome Options

Defeating Duke Fishron gives the players the ability to control certain aspects of a biome. One of these options would be the number of certain mini-biomes and structures spawning in a world (Floating Islands, Pyramids, Living Trees w/wo Shrines ect.) The default option depends on the world size given but will not limit the number of spawns of each world (5 Floating Islands on a Small World for example) The minimum will always be zero but the maximum amount of each area spawning will depend on the structure/biome selected and the world size.

This option also adds more miscellaneous options such as the direction on where the biome will spawn relative to the players spawn point (ex Jungle being to the left of the spawn). Distance from spawn and the option to choose between a Jungle biome or a full Mushroom biome (Underground Mushroom Biomes also have the option to choose a Jungle variant) and the type of brick that will be used during dungeon generation and if beating Skeletron is a requirement for entering.

4.) Advance Hallowed and Corruption/Crimson Options

After completely purging all traces of the Corruption and Crimson from the world (indicated by talking to the Dryad) more options for the Hallowed and the “Evil” Biome will unlock. The options will be...

Hallowed Biome present during Pre-Hardmode
Both Corruption and Crimson Biome present
Hallowed, Corruption and Crimson Biome spread options (allows no spreading, Pre-Hardmode spreading, Hardmode Pre-Plantera spread and Post-Plantera spreading)
Option to disable Hallow, Corruption and Crimson during world generation
Jungle Damage (On/Off)
Desert and Snow Biome Conversion (On/Off)
Forest Conversion (On/Off)

5.) Huge World Option + Expert Mode Toggle

After defeating the Moon Lord the player is given the choice of an additional world size: Huge.

The Huge World Size will be 10000 x 3200 Blocks in size and exists mostly for building, servers or players looking for a challenge. The player is also given the ability to toggle Expert Mode on or off in the World Select screen as a little button on the top-right corner of the map.

So what do you think? Any feedback would be most appreciated

I like a lot of these options, and the methods of obtaining them not only provide balance, but also extra incentive to battle all the bosses. I support this.

I like a lot of these options, and the methods of obtaining them not only provide balance, but also extra incentive to battle all the bosses. I support this.

I completely agree. This would be a cool idea for a mod, or maybe you could pitch it to the devs?

After the 1.3.2 update players were given the ability to choose what “evil” biome would be present during world creation (Corruption/Crimson). I liked the idea as it gave the player a way to directly influence the generation of the world as a reward rather than have it present right at the start.

What makes the world gen random is where most of the replay factor of Terraria comes from, you’ll never know what you’ll get. Even during the experimental Minecraft inspired seed function in the game one seed can create six different worlds (two for each world size) of the player’s choosing.

However this got me thinking “What if I don’t want something completely random?” “What if I wanted a world tailored to my needs right there and then?”

And that’s where I got the idea of Player Influenced World Generation.

The system isn’t going to be something complex like say Tedit, rather something like the Corruption/Crimson option, a way to choose what random aspect you will get if that makes any sense and just like the Corruption/Crimson option it won’t be available right away.

When the player first boots up the game, assuming this is their first time playing, the option would be absent and world gen will continue like normal. Once they defeat WoF for the first time however a new option (Advanced Generation) will appear alongside the traditional “Create New World” option in the game. Many options will be locked at this point, and will only be unlocked via progress in the game. There will also be the standard “Random” option for each category if the player so desires and will be the default when no other option is selected.

1.) Event Options

Defeating all three of the Mechanical Bosses allows the player to adjust or even turn of the frequency of certain random events options being on a slider of 0-10 (5 being the default) examples of which are...

Falling Stars
Rain
Slime Rain
Blood Moon
Goblin Invasions (Still allows manual summoning via item)
Meteors (Still allows random occurrence when breaking Shadow Orb)
Pirate Invasion (Still allows manual summoning via item)
Solar Eclipse (Still allows manual summoning via item)
All Random Boss Encounters

It also allows the player to choose if they want to start the game during Day or Night.

2.) Ore Select (Copper/Tin, Cobalt/Palladium ect.)

Defeating Plantera will give players the ability to choose which ore they would want to see generated during the start of the game/after breaking altars. This would allow the player to freely choose the ore they would want to obtain during the game. The option will also have the ability to select both ores of the same category (ex: allowing both Gold and Platinum to spawn) to be available during world generation, obviously this will limit the frequency of the ore if only one was chosen (you’d be seeing more Gold Ore if you choose Gold only as the ore spawns isn’t shared between the two) and the generation will be split 50:50.

3.) Mini-Biomes, Structures and Biome Options

Defeating Duke Fishron gives the players the ability to control certain aspects of a biome. One of these options would be the number of certain mini-biomes and structures spawning in a world (Floating Islands, Pyramids, Living Trees w/wo Shrines ect.) The default option depends on the world size given but will not limit the number of spawns of each world (5 Floating Islands on a Small World for example) The minimum will always be zero but the maximum amount of each area spawning will depend on the structure/biome selected and the world size.

This option also adds more miscellaneous options such as the direction on where the biome will spawn relative to the players spawn point (ex Jungle being to the left of the spawn). Distance from spawn and the option to choose between a Jungle biome or a full Mushroom biome (Underground Mushroom Biomes also have the option to choose a Jungle variant) and the type of brick that will be used during dungeon generation and if beating Skeletron is a requirement for entering.

4.) Advance Hallowed and Corruption/Crimson Options

After completely purging all traces of the Corruption and Crimson from the world (indicated by talking to the Dryad) more options for the Hallowed and the “Evil” Biome will unlock. The options will be...

Hallowed Biome present during Pre-Hardmode
Both Corruption and Crimson Biome present
Hallowed, Corruption and Crimson Biome spread options (allows no spreading, Pre-Hardmode spreading, Hardmode Pre-Plantera spread and Post-Plantera spreading)
Option to disable Hallow, Corruption and Crimson during world generation
Jungle Damage (On/Off)
Desert and Snow Biome Conversion (On/Off)
Forest Conversion (On/Off)

5.) Huge World Option + Expert Mode Toggle

After defeating the Moon Lord the player is given the choice of an additional world size: Huge.

The Huge World Size will be 10000 x 3200 Blocks in size and exists mostly for building, servers or players looking for a challenge. The player is also given the ability to toggle Expert Mode on or off in the World Select screen as a little button on the top-right corner of the map.

So what do you think? Any feedback would be most appreciated
Having playerss work for a feature like this sounds like a great idea because of the way it gets players to take on greater challenges
You should definitely pitch this idea to the devs it would make a pretty cool addition to the 1.4 update.
That is kind of the reason why it was posted in the suggestions section of the forums in the first place

Amazing idea! this would be a nice feature for creating custom servers and challenges, and it is even balanced! Support!

This could be pretty cool, I suppose. This would also help some adventure maps. Perhaps there could also be a feature that allows people to open biome chests and jungle temple doors without killing Plantera?

I like this suggestion! It'd be cool if you were also to edit minor world generation values, such as the amount of water, variance in terrain height, amount of ore, etc.

I do like a lot of these ideas, but I'm a bit wary of anything that changes core mechanics. Being able to choose certain random world elements (Pyramid please! :)) is one thing, since if you sat there hitting the random button long enough you could eventually get that world (at least in theory, the probability math is what makes the above ideas attractive). So I fully support anything which gives you control over initial world creation and possibly some basic conditions - like setting the start position to one side of the map instead of the center, start time of day, etc.

But while I fully support being able to choose some of the random factors to limit the amount of generating and deleting worlds until you get one with features you're after, I don't think there's really any justification for changing the factors once in game. Weather effects, random events, and the intrinsic effects of certain block types should not be messed with as it would have too huge an impact on the balance of the game. It would be far too easy then to generate an 'Expert' mode map and set the sliders to make everything much easier than a default 'normal' map.

Back
Top Bottom