Guide Player nearby detector

jimbojones27

Terrarian
What I've made is a system that will detect if a player is close by.
-Exactly how close I'm not 100% sure but I think it's about 150 blocks horizontally.

It works on the fact that statue spawned npcs only spawn when a player is nearby.
I used turtles for this as they are 2 blocks wide and have a small amount of health.
This is so that the turtle reliably hits a pressure plate (whereas one wide critters might not) and the turtles die immediately to lava. Also turtles have no blood moon variant.
The lava used to kill the turtle needs to be a very thin layer so the pressure plate can be activated before they die. This can be achieved by having the lava spread out first, then isolating a small amount in the kill box.
Screenshot_20230111-163633_Terraria.jpg

Screenshot_20230111-163640_Terraria.jpg

We spawn a turtle every 1/4 of a second. The first time a turtle hits a pressure plate, one of the 1 second timers is double activated. [1] Therefore only one 1 second timer turns on. The first turtle also detects when a player is nearby. I used an announcement box, however this pulse can switch whatever you want on. Every subsequent turtle switches which timer is on and which is off.

Since a turtle spawns every 1/4 of a second the 1 second timers never have enough time to make a pulse.
Once out of range turtles stop spawning. This allows one 1 second timer to make a pulse. Then it is turned off. This pulse firstly resets the double activation system [1], it also activates the announcement box, alerting the player they are out of range.

Once the player comes back into range turtles spawn again- the first one again alerts the player they are back in range.

The weird lava pump system at the top is a world load detector. When the world loads it detects this. Quitting a world turns off all timers. This is bad as when you quit whilst in range of this thing a lot of logic lamps aren't in the right state. So the world loader corrects this and puts the detector back into the player is not nearby state. It also turns on the 1/4 second timer that spawns the turtles.

This makes this detector 100% reliable. (Kind of)

Of course if you kill the turtles yourself whilst nearby it will detect you are out of range.

I think this system is kinda cool but it's actual uses are a bit limited.
- A cool idea is you can make a house that's completely invisible until you get close to it.

-Using two of these detectors together you can make the detection area much smaller by carefully placing these detectors in the right locations- this would need a bit of work in measuring the vertical and horizontal range of the detectors.

- Adventure maps might find use in this- maybe a parkour map that drops a player into a pool of lava if they've stood on a platform for too long.

Anyway have fun if you decide to use this- and I'm 100% sure there's a much simpler design. Like are there any mechanics that I'm forgetting about which could detect a nearby player without a statue?

I made this back in 2019, similar concept except the bird stays alive to trigger the switch over and over again. This was before 1/4 second timers, so I'm sure this can be retrofitted to be better and more efficient.
1676671968808.png

The bird however can despawn outside of the 124x70 tile area of the player. This however is an upside, because with additional logic a distinct signal can be found when the player is within the 168x94 tile area and outside the 124x70 tile area.
1676672221632.png

edit:
This is the edited version I just threw together. The right signal(bottom right red wire) is when someone leaves the range and the left signal (bottom left red wire) is when someone enters the range. The 168x94 area to be exact.
1676675855794.png
1676675871570.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom