Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
The player paralysis bug makes the player unable to use their movement keys, number keys (for inventory selection), and many other keyboard controls with the exception of the escape key (opening inventory), and mouse controls. This bug has actually been a recurring problem for me since at least 1.3.4 but is still a problem in 1.4.0.4. It occurs upon entering a world and will continue to happen if you leave the world and open it again. The problem is most likely linked to starting the game since the only fix seems to be restarting the game completely.

Another smaller bug deals with the Treasure Magnet. When you walk towards items that are in reach of the treasure magnet, the items appear to levitate in place rather than get pulled to the player. This appears to happen only upon walking towards the magnets.

Do you have an Encumbering Stone?

The other has been reported, but the dev team may need more information on this bug later. I didn't know about it existing in 1.3.4.

Honestly, I haven't quite figured out what that is yet, but it should not be the problem since items should not change upon restarting the game. This bug has been around since I started playing. I wonder if it may be a problem on my computer alone for some reason.

If it was the treasure magnet issue one that you didn't know about, the encumbering stone is not the problem. I looked up what it was and it is definitely not the problem. This only happens when you walk towards it from the left or right. It seems to be tied to your speed. My guess is that the developers made it so that items travel faster to you when walking away from and item, which makes the item slow down when walking towards it, making the very strange effect.

It is easily to recreate. Just drop an item on a flat surface and walk towards it (with a fairly large amount of speed).

If it was the treasure magnet issue one that you didn't know about, the encumbering stone is not the problem. I looked up what it was and it is definitely not the problem. This only happens when you walk towards it from the left or right. It seems to be tied to your speed. My guess is that the developers made it so that items travel faster to you when walking away from and item, which makes the item slow down when walking towards it, making the very strange effect.

It is easily to recreate. Just drop an item on a flat surface and walk towards it (with a fairly large amount of speed).
Oh, I suppose I do know a bit about the magnet; stop moving. It has full strength/actually works when your character isn't moving.

I don't think that is the case since it works properly (stronger I am pretty sure) when walking away from an item.

By the way, the first bug just happened to me again. Another exception is that the space bar (jump) key works, and it is not specific to a certain playable character.

Oh, I suppose I do know a bit about the magnet; stop moving. It has full strength/actually works when your character isn't moving.
I have a skyrail over a skybridge across my large world at the extreme edge of treasure magnet range and it can pull stars to me traveling at max regular minecart speed. Maybe I misunderstood your comment.

What would probably be considered another bug is that the magnet is very slow to pull items up, but this is debatable.

The first bug sounds like a well known issue that is impacting a large number of players, but has something to do with inputs/programs from outside of Terraria.

It can be temporarily fixed for most users by restarting your PC, until we find a permanent solution.

Some players are finding that restarting the game doesn't fix it. I had the problem once, and I had to at least log off of my Computer's User (which I guess also made Steam relaunch, come to think of it) to fix it. Restarting the game wasn't enough.

That's really strange. That has not ever happened to me. Is it specific to certain software (i.e. Windows, Linux, Mac)?

We haven't isolated the cause, but it only impacts a small portion of users (even though that portion is very high).

It is something user-side that is not playing nicely with Terraria, but we have yet to isolate it yet, its pretty high on our to-do list.

I am also running Windows 10.

It does seem to be affected by certain programs, like Xbox Game Bar (or something like it). I don't know the specs of other reporters though, could be little variance, or perhaps a lot.

Huh, it is very curious. Especially when there are exceptions like the escape button and space bar. Next time it happens, I will check if swapping the space bar (jump) and one of the movement keys in the controls will allow you to move and not jump; if that is the case, then we know that it is not a problem with the in-game actions, but the keys.

At least the other small bug I mentioned should be an easy fix, assuming that my hypothesis is correct (I quoted it below). All that needs to be done is to add a condition that does not allow the additional velocity affect -- which happens to items when the player is moving -- to happen when moving towards the item. I am pretty confident in my hypothesis, because when walking slower towards the item, it appears to creep towards you very slowly rather than it being at a dead halt when moving faster.

To be fair, the cases where restarting the computer was needed could very well be a case where the bug happened twice in a row making the appearance of restarting the game not working. That has happened to me one time. The bug is not super uncommon.

Right, but since it is unknown what causes it, a restart might be necessary. In your case, whatever caused the input issue wasn't present during re-launch.

It is one of the more common bugs, but it still impacts only a minority of users (my estimates based on our tester and dev team put it at 5% or less, with the handful of internal people getting it only having it sporadically).

Those affected by the issue can get it repeatedly, sometimes often.

Those who are unaffected by the issue never get it, ever.

Back
Top Bottom