Other Please, Allow Players to Spawn More than One Eater of Worlds by Smashing Shadow Orbs in 1.4

Do you want to be able to fight multiple Eaters/Brains by simply smashing Orbs/Hearts?

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Flubman

Terrarian
This also applies to the Brain of Cthulu and Crimson Hearts, but I didn't have enough room to put them in the title.

One of the build notes to 1.4 reads "Can no longer spawn a second EOW/BOC by smashing more orbs." I know this hasn't been implemented yet and is subject to change, but so far, it's the only part of Journey's End I dislike. It makes the game grindier, which flies of the face of what's otherwise an update that improves QoL. I can't imagine why a player would break Orbs/Hearts in multiples of three if they didn't want to fight multiple Eaters/Brains. What do you think?

P.S. I'm sorry if this topic has been posted before. I used the search feature but couldn't find any similar suggestions.

P.P.S. I don't mean spawning multiple Eaters/Brains at once by smashing Orbs/Hearts; I mean spawning multiple Eaters/Brains in one one world at different times by smashing Orbs/Hearts.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding things, but I get the feeling you're misunderstanding things.

From what I understand, this particular change would make it so you can't spawn 2+ EoW/BoC at the same time by smashing orbs/hearts.
So if you'd smash 6 orbs in a row, you don't get 2 EoWs after you.
But if you smash 3 orbs, then kill the EoW, and then smash 3 more orbs, you'll get another EoW. It's not about limiting the player from farming these bosses, it's about limiting the number that can spawn to one.

Unless you're a masochist who likes to defeat multiple bosses at the same time, this change shouldn't matter to you.

(All that said, I wonder why the change is needed. If people want to smash 6 or even 9 orbs in a row, then that's their funeral, or magnificent victory if they do manage to survive.)

There's 2 main interpretations of this thread.

1. is that you're suggesting that we should be able to spawn 2 EoW at once, which I don't think is what your asking, but is what people think you're asking.

2. You believe that once you've spawned an eater of worlds through orbs, you cannot spawn another one from smashing orbs, even after you've beat or lost to the EoW.
Thing is, the change log is also quite ambiguous, so are they saying you can't have multiple EoC on screen at once? Or more than 1 EoC per world, period?

There's 2 main interpretations of this thread.

1. is that you're suggesting that we should be able to spawn 2 EoW at once, which I don't think is what your asking, but is what people think you're asking.

2. You believe that once you've spawned an eater of worlds through orbs, you cannot spawn another one from smashing orbs, even after you've beat or lost to the EoW.
Thing is, the change log is also quite ambiguous, so are they saying you can't have multiple EoC on screen at once? Or more than 1 EoC per world, period?
I meant 2, but yeah, now that I think about it, the build notes are ambiguous.

It seems like a very unnecessary change, but I can kind of understand where they're coming from with it.

Many bosses will only spawn "naturally" in the world once, at which point you need to use boss spawning items to spawn them again afterwards:

- Eye of Chalupa
- Skeletron
- The Twins
- The Destroyer
- Skeletron Prime

However, out of all of these, the real difference is that 4/5 of these bosses have a chance of randomly spawning at night.

You deliberately have to go out of your way to break multiple Shadow Orbs/Crimson Hearts to spawn more Eaters/Brains, much like how you have to go out of your way to kill the Clothier again to re-fight Skeletron. At the point somebody is doing this, they're either actively farming it or are at a point where they can defeat it handily to where it's nothing more than another nuisance that's worth a lot of coins and worth killing anyway.

If they're truly worried about options, then the third Orb/Heart should be forced to drop an item similar to the Clothier Voodoo Doll that re-enables the spawning behavior of further Orbs while equipped.

Removal of options that aren't breaking much is a bad idea.

E: Of course, if the crafting recipe for making more Worm Food/Bloody Spines is made cheaper, then I wouldn't care there either lol

E2: This could also simply be a QoL change with Master mode in mind since having to leave the Corruption/Crimson while farming for that one specific Orb/Heart item after barely clawing your way past Eater/brain only to have to teleport out every 3 orbs could be very tedious, but once again, a theoretical item to re-enable spawning behavior fixes this concern

E3: Thanks for the clarification, @Leinfors

Last edited:
To clarify, the patch notes in question ("Can no longer spawn a second EOW/BOC by smashing more orbs.") were in reference to an issue where, if you broke 3 orbs, resulting in an EoW/BoC spawn, then broke 3 more orbs DURING THE FIGHT, you would summon a 2nd boss at the same time. Basically, you just aren't supposed to fight 2 EOW/BOCs at the same time, to say nothing of the fact that both bosses bug out when in the presence of multiple versions of each other (totally by coincidence, they each have mechanics that aren't meant for there to be two of them).

We are not changing the ability for the player to get 1 boss for every 3 orbs/hearts broken. You can still do this as often as you like, until your world runs out of orbs. I just recommend not breaking the extras during the boss fight itself!

The patch notes were originally shown as part of a spoiler, and haven't been through our normal "right before launch of update, we proof-read/review all of the changelog to make sure it looks nice and makes sense" process. So the ambiguity was unintentional.

To clarify, the patch notes in question ("Can no longer spawn a second EOW/BOC by smashing more orbs.") were in reference to an issue where, if you broke 3 orbs, resulting in an EoW/BoC spawn, then broke 3 more orbs DURING THE FIGHT, you would summon a 2nd boss at the same time. Basically, you just aren't supposed to fight 2 EOW/BOCs at the same time, to say nothing of the fact that both bosses bug out when in the presence of multiple versions of each other (totally by coincidence, they each have mechanics that aren't meant for there to be two of them).

We are not changing the ability for the player to get 1 boss for every 3 orbs/hearts broken. You can still do this as often as you like, until your world runs out of orbs. I just recommend not breaking the extras during the boss fight itself!

The patch notes were originally shown as part of a spoiler, and haven't been through our normal "right before launch of update, we proof-read/review all of the changelog to make sure it looks nice and makes sense" process. So the ambiguity was unintentional.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Back
Top Bottom