Please fix or nerf the Medusa enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollycide

Skeletron
So, I just lost a fight to a hallowed mimic when it was at 300 HP because there was a Medusa WAY OUTSIDE THE MARBLE BIOME.

I have never wanted to punch something this much. That was genuinely unfair. Medusas have an undodgeable ability that not only is annoying, but is, by definition, unfair.
I love Terraria and I've played it for hundreds of hours, but the addition of Medusas alone is enough to make my opinion of the game go right down.
Unless you either nerf medusas, make their attacks dodgeable, or make an accessory that renders their powers useless (and if there already is one, make it's drop chance higher), then cave exploring and other things are a thousand times less fun than they used to be.
I can't believe I lost a fight to something I was so happy I was about to kill because you put a genuinely unfair, undodgeable enemy in the game. In hardmode, being turned to stone by a Medusa is literally game over. I can't IMAGINE the pain people suffer when playing on hardcore.

But the fact that I was literally nowhere near a marble biome (I was in the underground hallow with an ice biome right next to me and no marble anywhere for several hundred feet) just made me alt+f4 out of the game the moment I died because of it. I couldn't even see the Medusa in the first place.

Medusas are broken and should be either nerfed or removed. End of rant.

I've seen people regularly fall off and die while riding minecart tracks because of an off-screen Medusa, and I've also had to deal with getting petrified regularly while fighting a Medusa at the bottom of a mine shaft.

I think making the gaze narrower and with less range would be in order. Oh, and reducing the spawn rate as well.

I agree that its a bit excessive. The two times Medusa killed me I was at my full 500 HP and died from like 700-800 falling damage from a drop of about 1/2 a screen. That's just silly. It happened before I even noticed her there. Simple solution is make it normal fall damage. Its not like she has good loot or is otherwise hard to kill.

I agree that its a bit excessive. The two times Medusa killed me I was at my full 500 HP and died from like 700-800 falling damage from a drop of about 1/2 a screen. That's just silly. It happened before I even noticed her there. Simple solution is make it normal fall damage. Its not like she has good loot or is otherwise hard to kill.
I have to agree as well, as when my friends and I got frozen, all at once, we fell 3-4 blocks and took 300-400 fall damage...
Also, Medusa does have a good pre-hardmode magic item drop, only problem is that it is very rare, as it took me around 50-70 medusa kills for it to drop.

I totally agree with this, 100%. Medusas suck. The Medusa Head weapon has a beam of light- why can't the enemies do that to show you what their range is? It's also really :red:ty that falling when you're turned to stone damages you, regardless of any accessories.

I would suggest putting stricter checks on the effect to make sure you can actually see her (which after all is how the power is supposed to work). That means, first and foremost, she must actually be on the screen. Second the LoS checking needs to be tightened up. Finally it seem reasonable to require she's at least, say 30% lit.

Reducing the fall damage is probably a good idea too, it does seem extreme. Maybe keep the current version for expert mode.

Last edited:
Yeah...when I saw her, my first reaction was "Oh god no. Please don't have given her-" Petrifies me from off screen. "NO. NO NO NO NO!" :mad:
:sigh: But yeah, she needs a nerf real bad.

Not only the medusas themselves are a pain to fight, but the Hoplites that reside in the marble biome will destroy you with their javelins if you get petrified (not to mention Expert mode) . The range and lenght of the debuff should be nerfed for sure

I think both enemies in the Marble area are horrible. Hoplites deal expert-mode level damage with their javelins in normal mode and practically OHKO you in expert mode. Medusas are also rather irritating.

The enemies in the granite biome are well balanced. What happened to its counterpart?

Yeah I've gotten to the point where I keep Rydians Terraria Trainer open simply for if i see a medusa I inject the infinite hp code so that I can kill them

its disgusting that i'm doing this but there is no viable way to deal with medusa's in expert mode or in hardmode they don't themselves hurt but that debuff is total garbage

You could like make an accessory that grants immunity to the stoned debuff
or you could just make the ankh shield grant immunity to it since a prehardmode enemy should not present a serious threat to a player that can solo the moonlord

It's counterpart is rage.

I guess I would be okay with medusa being limited to actual viewing distance but I don't think she should be nerfed or removed at all. Between medusa and hoplites there is more of a reason to not go flinging yourself through the entire carverns level.

It's counterpart is rage.

I guess I would be okay with medusa being limited to actual viewing distance but I don't think she should be nerfed or removed at all. Between medusa and hoplites there is more of a reason to not go flinging yourself through the entire carverns level.

Hoplites are fine as they are i'm not bothered by a high damage, but easily avoided enemy

its the fact that the moment medusa's spawn they are pretty much capable of stoning you from anywhere on screen even if you have no actual way to be aware of them or looking at them since there can be several blocklayers in between...
that's just unacceptably broken, and needs to be changed

I for one am not in favor of completely removing them, but a nerf that would either: A. make it much easier to see what the range they have is or provide some indicator whether you're in the field of stoning or B. Change the stoning debuff by making it not work through blocks

Going to have to agree here. At minimum -- nerf Medusa range.

Having Medusa petrify you from offscreen simply isn't fun or fair. There's no counterplay to something like that. At least if the Medusa is in viewing range, you can react and respond.

Most of the poor soldiers and heroes sent after medusa didn't get a chance to even see her either. I'm not sure if I am comfortable with the whole "IT MUST BE NERFED" sentiment here though.

Hoplites are fine as they are i'm not bothered by a high damage, but easily avoided enemy

its the fact that the moment medusa's spawn they are pretty much capable of stoning you from anywhere on screen even if you have no actual way to be aware of them or looking at them since there can be several blocklayers in between...
that's just unacceptably broken, and needs to be changed

I for one am not in favor of completely removing them, but a nerf that would either: A. make it much easier to see what the range they have is or provide some indicator whether you're in the field of stoning or B. Change the stoning debuff by making it not work through blocks
Medusa never targets me through blocks. Also, she will only spawn on marble, so if you put walls boxing in any top surface marble, you should be able to block her after she spawns.

Medusa never targets me through blocks. Also, she will only spawn on marble, so if you put walls boxing in any top surface marble, you should be able to block her after she spawns.
The spawn for medusa isn't perfect and why the heck should players be forced in every new world they create to explore caverns and such, have need to build this elaborate box for every marble biome that generates just because an enemy is broken and needs a rebalance

hell lower the stoned debuff timer by 1 second, and i'll be pleased enough with it, but if you could remove the massive fall damage increase i'd be way more pleased

I'm not saying a stone statue shouldn't take more falling damage, but it shouldn't be as exponentially higher than actual fall damage based on the fact when frozen you don't suffer this, and like a previous user here has stated ICE SHATTERS MORE EASILY THAN MOST STONE, but you don't see the frozen debuff murdering players with a 2 block drop do you?

Most of the poor soldiers and heroes sent after medusa didn't get a chance to even see her either. I'm not sure if I am comfortable with the whole "IT MUST BE NERFED" sentiment here though.
The thing is, the Medusa is fine by herself. She was pretty alright by me in pre-hardmode.
But the moment I go into hardmode I have to farm really hard enemies in underground biomes and if a mimic spawns, I HAVE to fight it because it teleports to me. So if I die, not because of the mimic, but because I'm all of a sudden turned to stone because a Medusa was too far outside her biome for no reason while trying to fight a mini-boss, and I suffer FALLING DAMAGE THAT KILLS ME AS A RESULT, then there is something wrong and I challenge you to find any pros to that.
Yes, it's difficult.
But there's fun and challenging difficulty
And then there's just plain I Wanna Be The Guy difficulty.

EDIT: The enemy would be far better if it was a projectile that turned you to stone. No nerf to the debuff, no changes to spawn. A dodgeable projectile. Now it's fair! Woo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom