Please fix or nerf the Medusa enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bring summon friends if you find petrify that annoying.

Git gud, or just stay away from marble biomes in general.
So you're basically saying to ignore part of the game's content just because the enemy is unbalanced and requires SOME change to how they operate. Thats a really great argument there.

Also they hit through walls and they can freeze you from OFF SCREEN. Summons and yoyos won't help whatsoever mate.

I'm honestly fine with medusa's attacks and everything but would like to suggest a single change to them: Make it so they cannot hit you when you're behind a wall. aka they only stone you when in direct line of sight. The range is fine and the debuff duration is perfect in my book, but the "off screen freeze" and "hit behind walls" :red: is absolute bull.

She's not a hard enemy, and that's what you guys are arguing about. She's annoying for the SOLE reason that she can turn you to stone when she isnt even on the screen. She obviously can't turn you to stone when you are hitting her, so she isn't difficult.
We don't want to nerf her to the point to where she is horrible, just make it to where she can only freeze you if you can actually see her on the screen.

So you're basically saying to ignore part of the game's content just because the enemy is unbalanced and requires SOME change to how they operate. Thats a really great argument there.

Also they hit through walls and they can freeze you from OFF SCREEN. Summons and yoyos won't help whatsoever mate.

I'm honestly fine with medusa's attacks and everything but would like to suggest a single change to them: Make it so they cannot hit you when you're behind a wall. aka they only stone you when in direct line of sight. The range is fine and the debuff duration is perfect in my book, but the "off screen freeze" and "hit behind walls" :red: is absolute bull.
Ermm... Summons fight for you while you are paralyzed. Right?

She doesn't have to. Her stone vision can and will, leaving you totally susceptible to other monsters. This from offscreen.
I'm aware this from offscreen, I've had it happen to me multiple times, your summons can deal with the extraneous monsters. Also, you can somehow use potions while petrified.

Most of the poor soldiers and heroes sent after medusa didn't get a chance to even see her either. I'm not sure if I am comfortable with the whole "IT MUST BE NERFED" sentiment here though.

"It's OK if an enemy is stupid OP with very few effective counters because muh lore"

Why even let this game exist, then? Just create a world, and instead of playing the game, you just get a message telling you that Cthulhu wiped the place from the time-space continuum a zillion gorillion years ago. Or, you summon the Eye of Cthulhu, and then the screen just goes crazy and you die instantly, because that's how it works in the Lovecraft novels.

Going from full health to dead instantly because of a monster that spawned offscreen, without even any sort of projectile or means of avoiding it, is unacceptable. If you have any arguments as to otherwise, I'm all ears, because I cannot think of any.

"It's OK if an enemy is stupid OP with very few effective counters because muh lore"

Going from full health to dead instantly because of a monster that spawned offscreen, without even any sort of projectile or means of avoiding it, is unacceptable. If you have any arguments as to otherwise, I'm all ears, because I cannot think of any.

I completely agree with you. It's in no way fair to the player.

You can dodge medusa's petrify.
I've done so multiple times, though yes, when she's off screen it's extremely annoying.

Anyway, reducing the range on her petrify would solve that problem.

And the way to dodge her is simply not to look in her general direction (meaning, if she's to the left, look to the right) whenever her hair starts moving and eyes glowing red, though it's only for about a second so you gotta be quick lol, increasing the time it takes for her to wind the petrify ability up would solve this one.

I don't really mind medusa tbh, finding a hole you can jump into and then just range attack her with anything that has some knockback is what I usually do, if no hole then I just run up to her while paying attention to her sprite for her petrify so I can turn around.

I'm aware this from offscreen, I've had it happen to me multiple times, your summons can deal with the extraneous monsters. Also, you can somehow use potions while petrified.

Except most summons don't hit through/go through walls, nor do they attack enemies that are currently off your screen. Which medusa can attack from so summons really dont help and your argument of "just let your summons deal with it" is null and void.

Granted, yes summons still do ttack while you're frozen, it does no good whatsoever if they can't attack a medusa because she's offscreen/behind a wall.

Also, I honestly have no idea if she can freeze you behind walls on both normal and expert mode, all I know is she can and constantly will freeze you while being behind walls in expert mode. Its happened to me multiple times.

Its not that hard to dodge Medusa, i've had no problems with her, other than maybe one death due to my own stupidity.
Sure she's a bit of a touch foe early on, but if you get say a yoyo, you can attack her around a corner without her even being able to petrefy you. You can also easily stun-lock her to prevent her from even doing her petrify attack.
As only one or two people in this thread seem to know, if you look away from Medusa you dont get petrified, kinda makes sense, you'd think more people would work that out because muh lore.

I do agree that its a bit rubbish if she can petrify you whilst she's off screen, but ive not had that happen to me once.
Maybe a slight nerf to make her have to be off screen to hit you with her attack, maybe even have some kind of potion or drop from her that prevents being turned to stone, but honestly I think its relatively alright as it is.

Why even let this game exist, then? Just create a world, and instead of playing the game, you just get a message telling you that Cthulhu wiped the place from the time-space continuum a zillion gorillion years ago. Or, you summon the Eye of Cthulhu, and then the screen just goes crazy and you die instantly, because that's how it works in the Lovecraft novels.

Because nihilism doesn't work. And the onus is on you to come up with a compelling argument since you are claiming the enemy is OP.

I've only had the problem of dropping once. Every other time she will waddle onto the screen after freezing me so I can throw a grenade or start a stunlock. I learned not to derp around on the minecart rails too. I also learned there are a few seconds before she can do it again. After learning how the enemy works I never had a problem with it since. Wait a second before leaping into a cave system. You will get turned to stone, then you know she is in there. Make the next few moves until you are close enough to wring her neck.

If we want to get down scales to scales, I think the turtles are more OP than medusa.

If we want to get down scales to scales, I think the turtles are more OP than medusa.
Turtles try to fly in your face but are stopped dead in their tracks with even one small hit.
Medusa stones you offscreen, leaving you dead in the water for any hoplites or other monsters to kick your arse.
Seems obvious to me which one is overpowered.

Granite's enemies are melee ranged and ridiculously easy to defeat.
Marble's enemies have both a rather hurt-bringing spear throwing Hoplite and an enemy that turns you into a target for these Hoplites from a screen away.

Also, contrary to what some may believe, the medusae don't always spawn in the Marble biome. They're often found in the area surrounding this biome, in the same manner how spiders are often spawned off-screen while you're in the nest.

This thing either needs to have its stoning range ridiculously shortened or it needs to go to hardmode or something.

I know they dont only spawn in the marble biome. In fact I see them elsewhere more than I see them in the marble biome. There is usually one stuck in my underground lake and it's nowhere near the marble, making that weird face while I am fishing, missing me every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom