Please fix or nerf the Medusa enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
4. You can't prepare for this.
You can, actually, by thinking twice about jumping off that cliff or dawdling over a pit of lava. Even if they make medusa have line of sight you are still going to have to sit there and wait for a chance to attack, so you are waiting anyway.
You can't expect people to move through the underground at the pace of a snail, constantly stopping and observing if there's any chance for you to die right now if you get cheapshotted by an off-screen medusa. That's not fair and you know it.

I don't move through like a snail. I move through knowingly. I create vantage points. The fun thing about vantage points is that you can always use them again and again when you are moving underground. It's how I kill plantera. The last thing I will do is rush through this game like super mario world anyway no matter how nice the end game stuff is.

It doesn't work if you don't look in her direction, as been stated. :p
I always use holes to break LoS when there is one, I've never been stoned when I do that unless she's quick enough to get to the hole.

Hard to really justify this as actually working properly in a 2D game. The first time I encountered a Medusa I was digging a hellavator with my shroomite claws. Hit an open patch right below a mushroom house and the next thing I know I am dead from fall damage. Now technically speaking, if the enemy is not visible, how can you be "looking" at her at all?

Honestly, the fact that Petrified nullifies fall damage items is complete bull:red:.
Medusa really needs a nerf. Preferably to not make it kill you with fall damage from Petrified.

As rage-inducing as Medusas are, I don't think they need a nerf. You just need to work around it. Caught in the wrong place at the wrong time... Thanks RNGesus. I doubt you would've been much better when it comes to surviving, even if she was nerfed.

As others said, Yoyos are your friend.

As rage-inducing as Medusas are, I don't think they need a nerf. You just need to work around it. Caught in the wrong place at the wrong time... Thanks RNGesus. I doubt you would've been much better when it comes to surviving, even if she was nerfed.

When direct line of sight is required for Medusa to stone me, I will stop complaining.

I don't move through like a snail. I move through knowingly. I create vantage points. The fun thing about vantage points is that you can always use them again and again when you are moving underground. It's how I kill plantera. The last thing I will do is rush through this game like super mario world anyway no matter how nice the end game stuff is.
It's impossible to fight against something that, again, attacks you offscreen. You can't prepare for something that you don't see. No, not even you.
Maybe you've been lucky so far, not knowing how incredibly cheap this enemy is by basically killing you out of view, but I do hope you'll encounter moments like this because I get the feeling you don't understand why people think this creature deserves a nerf.

Yoyos have a limited range and don't automatically seek out medusae who stone you, again, from somewhere offscreen.
You can't work around something if you can't see it while it can perfectly see you from a mile away.
It's like having a knifefight with a sniper.

My favourite thing is how Hie is assuming everyone is always careful when cave exploring
Even though I've mentioned fighting mimics underground which require insane dodging and focus.
Stop with the Straw Mans and intentional ignoring of key points.
And don't make up my intentions. I don't want them to be removed, I want them to be fixed or nerfed, like the topic title says so.

I hope I do encounter a moment like that for the sake of morbid curiosity. I spend long periods of time underground and I am regularly killing off medusas usually with a yoyo when I am behind something.

I have to agree with players saying Medusa needs to be able to stone only if she has line of sight. It's pretty frustrating to not know in which small cave beyond darkness and explored space she hides, while she can abuse her ability unhindered.

Maybe she should only be able to slow down the player if she doesn't have line of sight, or she should give away her location while she's using her ability to stone.

The fall damage prevention negation is a weird one. Players prolly aren't flying around or jumping ludicrous high before they get a hook. It also kind of says that you still need to respect your enemies, cause even drenched in Moon Lord blood, you can get taken down if you're careless. But since stoneform comes without warning and from off-screen it's pretty awful game design.

Last edited:
My favourite thing is how Hie is assuming everyone is always careful when cave exploring
Even though I've mentioned fighting mimics underground which require insane dodging and focus.
Stop with the Straw Mans and intentional ignoring of key points.
And don't make up my intentions. I don't want them to be removed, I want them to be fixed or nerfed, like the topic title says so.

No i'm sure it's not really your favorite thing. I know my own venom here.

I don't know why you are using hallowed mimics as a focus point here because you can outright farm them on the surface. Leave the ones underground alone and make light keys. I have almost all the hallowed mimic drops because I farmed them on the surface. In fact I am going right now to get more souls to make more light keys. I have 20 chests just waiting to be keyed.

Edit: Hey look a hallowed mimic. Killed it though and got the same bloody crystal wand. Really want that hook.

Last edited:
Ahh...the mysteries of a thread being able to exceed a hundred posts in less than a day...

I agree that the Medusa is a bit much for the start of the game, having 400 health and an ability that anything else in Pre-Hm cannot compare to, but HM it's a-okay.

While Medusa can be a pain, especially in hardmode, her petrification attack effects players who rely on flight primarily worse. Just a little bit of a suggestion, one I use is to spend more time on the ground in marble biomes and around them which means you won't fall to death. Other then that, minions are your friends to delay Medusa from reaching your stone body.

There are monsters in Terraria to challenge you for a reason, not everyone can be a cakewalk like a slime ;)

While Medusa can be a pain, especially in hardmode, her petrification attack effects players who rely on flight primarily worse. Just a little bit of a suggestion, one I use is to spend more time on the ground in marble biomes and around them which means you won't fall to death. Other then that, minions are your friends to delay Medusa from reaching your stone body.

There are monsters in Terraria to challenge you for a reason, not everyone can be a cakewalk like a slime ;)
Most of the times you won't even have seen the marble biome yet. Chances are a lot bigger that you'll meet a medusa first.
And not everyone uses minions. Moreover, minions won't protect you if she stones you outside of the screen, since minions won't go that far.
True, at least the minions can protect you WHILE being stoned if you happen to be near other enemies when it happens. So, sure, you have a better chance of survival if you don't drop into a pit or lava while stoned.

I doubt anyone would deny Terraria not needing a challenge, but there's a difference between a challenge and getting cheapshotted by something offscreenwithout the chance of a reaction.

Medusa never targets me through blocks. Also, she will only spawn on marble, so if you put walls boxing in any top surface marble, you should be able to block her after she spawns.

The problem is that she spawns outside of her marble area, if there's marble ANYWHERE NEARBY WHATSOEVER.

The marble can even be off-screen!

I was trying to dig out a section near the Lihzarhd Temple and I had this Marble Area a screenlength+ away.

Of course, several times, I got petrified while trying to dig the mud out to keep enemies spawning inside the Temple. Highly annoying. And that fall damage bit needs to go. That is just ridiculous. 350 to 0 in a like 6-7 block fall distance is just ludicrous. She was even off-screen when she did it.

This has to be the single worst-designed enemy ever implemented in Terraria. It is entirely anti-fun, unfair, there's no protection from her debuff that I've seen, you can't turn away from her (because she's usually offscreen when she nails you) and you're helpless once you're stoned. All you can do is sit there and watch your character die from full health.

Medusas are basically a "I KILL YOU NOW" mob and that does NOT belong in Terraria.

I don't understand the problem people are having with Medusa. Neither me nor my friends have had any serious problems with her on our expert mode world, and we're not even that good at the game.

While I have yet to experience the medusae (come on laptop I ordered you 2 weeks ago), from what I've seen in videos and heard it certainly seems like she needs a nerf. Possibilities include:
1 Requiring her to be on the screen
2 Making an easily recognizable sound during a (1-2 second) windup before she petrifies
3 Giving off a good amount of light during the windup, or requiring her to be lit up
4 Having lucky horseshoe and wings at least lower the fall damage such that 1/2 screen drop isn't instakill
5 Allowing the blindfold/ankh shield to protect from petrification as well as from darkness (it only makes sense)
6 Allowing her gaze to be reflected and stone herself under some condition (If any of you ever played nethack...)
7 Take reduced damage (or no damage) from normal attacks while petrified

Personally, I think it should be 1, 2 or 3, and maybe 4 or 5.

While I have yet to experience the medusae (come on laptop I ordered you 2 weeks ago), from what I've seen in videos and heard it certainly seems like she needs a nerf. Possibilities include:
1 Requiring her to be on the screen
2 Making an easily recognizable sound during a (1-2 second) windup before she petrifies
3 Giving off a good amount of light during the windup, or requiring her to be lit up
4 Having lucky horseshoe and wings at least lower the fall damage such that 1/2 screen drop isn't instakill
5 Allowing the blindfold/ankh shield to protect from petrification as well as from darkness (it only makes sense)
6 Allowing her gaze to be reflected and stone herself under some condition (If any of you ever played nethack...)
7 Take reduced damage (or no damage) from normal attacks while petrified

Personally, I think it should be 1, 2 or 3, and maybe 4 or 5.
If you haven't even played it yet, you shouldn't be taking a part in this.... thing..... on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom