Please fix or nerf the Medusa enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Six seconds doing nothing and taking nothing is useless and boring.
Are you truly unable to take a break, or at least look away from the screen you are glued to for six seconds? because if you are able, you must be, like, magic or something.
[DOUBLEPOST=1436191355,1436191258][/DOUBLEPOST]
What annoys me is everybody seems to be BLATANTLY IGNORING all valid points and instead focusing on "git gud"
That's not how you argue or discuss.
O rly? Or are you just not gud enuff for this conversation?

To me the biggest issue is falling. If you get petrified by Medusa in mid-air then you take MASSIVELY increased falling damage... and when I say massive I mean a fall of just a few inches (real height, not game height) - not even enough to hurt under normal circumstances - can do well over 500 HP of falling damage - instant death even at max HP.

This is a significant problem if, like me, your main marble biome in your world requires you to drop down to enter it. Often times I'll try to enter, get instantaneously petrified by an off-screen medusa, and die just from entering.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what the idea was here - being petrified makes you fragile so getting dropped can cause you to shatter. And on paper that idea does sound really cool. But in practice it just does not work and makes the most BS enemy in the game to date even BS-ier.

Please remove the fall-damage-multiplier.

I dont see why y'all are overreacting. Sure, it was hard at first to fight them, but pretty quickly you learn a few techniques its easy. If you're not even in expert mode then it isn't that hard
When fighting medusa, hit it then quickly turn away - It doesn't petrify you if you aren't looking towards its direction. Also, if you have spike balls (the ones sold from goblin npc), they can work wonders while you're petrified, dealing damage to the medusa even while you're just stone.

I've seen some complaints about Hopilites as well. A hopilite alone is easy, just make sure you have plenty of room to dodge javelins. However when its a medusa+hopilite combo, it's gonna be pretty deadly. Just try dealing with the hopilite first while your back is towards the medusa

I dont see why y'all are overreacting. Sure, it was hard at first to fight them, but pretty quickly you learn a few techniques its easy. If you're not even in expert mode then it isn't that hard
When fighting medusa, hit it then quickly turn away - It doesn't petrify you if you aren't looking towards its direction. Also, if you have spike balls (the ones sold from goblin npc), they can work wonders while you're petrified.

I've seen some complaints about Hopilites as well. A hopilite alone is easy, just make sure you have plenty of room to dodge javelins. However when its a medusa+hopilite combo, it's gonna be pretty deadly. Just try dealing with the hopilite first while your back is towards the medusa
I can understand all that and I am sure others can too, but the main complaint so far is (I think) that a medusa can stone you from a screen away, far away from your sight.
This is my only beef with her. If you could actually see her before you get stoned, that'd make sense and wouldn't allow her to cheapshot you, possibly instantly killing you depending on if you're hanging from the ceiling or jumping over a lava pool.

I can understand all that and I am sure others can too, but the main complaint so far is (I think) that a medusa can stone you from a screen away, far away from your sight.
This is my only beef with her. If you could actually see her before you get stoned, that'd make sense and wouldn't allow her to cheapshot you, possibly instantly killing you depending on if you're hanging from the ceiling or jumping over a lava pool.
Hm, I get your point. Personally every time she's petrified me off the screen, I had to get only a few blocks closer to see you - Since you only get petrified when looking at her direction, it's easy to locate her, although annoying.

I was just going around a cave with my hookshot, i had not even seen a marble biome on my map yet.
Suddenly i get petrified and fall to my death.

Medusas range needs to be nerfed, you should be able to at least see her before you die, i literally saw nothing but a ceiling when i got petrified.

I was just going around a cave with my hookshot, i had not even seen a marble biome on my map yet.
Suddenly i get petrified and fall to my death.

Medusas range needs to be nerfed, you should be able to at least see her before you die, i literally saw nothing but a ceiling when i got petrified.
Theres a chance she was on your screen but it was just too dark for you to see her

Theres a chance she was on your screen but it was just too dark for you to see her
That's exactly what happened to my first encounter with it, after that I only found them very rarely and had that Marble Biome full of toches, but I see what people mean. Having her distance as well as maybe viewing range(so you need to be around 45 degrees above/below her for her to actually do that) reduced would help.

As far as I have read all of these argument, There seem to be 3 side of people.
1.Medusa need a HUGE nerf!
2.Medusa need a little fixing.
3.Medusa is fine as she is.

I don't see why Medusa really need mega nerf or completely remove form game.
-Being stoned cause you to die form fall damage : you can see her before it's happen, it won't happen. I can't really against that it's not annoying.
-She petrify you from off screen : Terraria already have annoying mobs that can shoot from off screen (
Gastropod.png
Skeleton_Sniper.png
) I don't know why you guy don't get use to it already.

As far as I have read all of these argument, There seem to be 3 side of people.
1.Medusa need a HUGE nerf!
2.Medusa need a little fixing.
3.Medusa is fine as she is.

I don't see why Medusa really need mega nerf or completely remove form game.
-Being stoned cause you to die form fall damage : you can see her before it's happen, it won't happen. I can't really against that it's not annoying.
-She petrify you from off screen : Terraria already have annoying mobs that can shoot from off screen (
Gastropod.png
Skeleton_Sniper.png
Gastropods deal reletively weak damage, Skeleton Snipers take time to shoot and the Dungeon generation more often than not doesn't let them get a good shot off, and neither kill you in one hit.

Gastropod.png
Skeleton_Sniper.png

Just gonna say that they SHOOT a projectile at you that is relatively easily avoidable even when not paying full attention to them. And that's talking about hardmode mobs and not one that you can encounter in the first 10 minutes of a playthrough (happened to me).

Just gonna say that they SHOOT a projectile at you that is relatively easily avoidable even when not paying full attention to them. And that's talking about hardmode mobs and not one that you can encounter in the first 10 minutes of a playthrough (happened to me).
And those enemies' shots don't leave you completely vulnerable.

Hard to really justify this as actually working properly in a 2D game. The first time I encountered a Medusa I was digging a hellavator with my shroomite claws. Hit an open patch right below a mushroom house and the next thing I know I am dead from fall damage. Now technically speaking, if the enemy is not visible, how can you be "looking" at her at all?

That's simply a problem with it's range being way too, uhm, long? Damn that sounds weird, too tired for this...

Anyway, if they just reduce the range on her petrify ( to a point where she can still petrify players caught off guard, but can't do so way offscreen) then that would be fixed.
What I said was aimed towards that if you can see her using the ability then you turn around, if you can't see her using it then she's either offscreen or the player isn't paying attention.

Most people on this thread are either, "woah, this new mob is :red:ty at best", or "you have a problem with this mob? I've managed to not have a bad experience yet". I am one of the later people.

This makes me wonder if some people are luckier than others or if some people are overreacting to dying to a handful of times they died an unfair death. I have died MANY unfair deaths, but I just try again at what I was doing. One time in particular, I was exploring a cave with about 150 hp left, when all of a sudden I get the message "Player was slain". I was dead. My character had been surrounded by minions, and I just died from I don't know what; before my character died, he was digging a hellevator and there were no caves around him. No mob fell from above to kill me. It was, all-in-all, completely random.

So get over it! There will be some unavoidable deaths. And yes, this does suck for hardmode people, but this is mostly going towards the people wining about the couple of times they died these sad deaths. (Please don't hurt me!)

Lore should take a backseat to gameplay enjoyability. If you want to bring lore into things, then Mario should instantly die upon entering Bowser's castle due to convection from all the lava pits. However, we tend to let these things slide, because games are supposed to be fun.

I have been regularly stunned by Medusas from an off-screen Marble biome and sent falling to my death.

Being unique does not justify being frustrating.

As has been mentioned previously in the thread, they will stone you from outside of your view range, which is not fun.

I have entirely eliminated all aspects of TWO marble biomes near a farming spot and they will still spawn.

This echoes a lot of my sentiments, really.

The purpose of an enemy should not be to expressly kill the player in what is essentially an awful, bandaid, ROM hack method. Yes, an enemy should be trying to kill you, but you should still be able to have fun while fighting it. Medusas are not fun to deal with. Nobody I know enjoys them. I love the concept but hate the execution. Stone NEEDS an immunity item, preferably crafted from Marble so there's less grinding, the range on the Medusa's stone attack needs to be reduced, and Ankh Shield needs to be capable of providing immunity to Stone so people just trying to mine out caves for building blocks don't get randomly punked by a Medusa spawning.

I'd say Countercurse Mantra + [Stone immunity item], and then work that into the Ankh Charm ingredients, then Ankh Shield grants immunity to Stone as well.
I was thinking of the stone resistance being the stone mask (like the one from Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask.) Which lowers enemy spawn rates and resists petrify, although, by hardmode, medusa's aren't really a threat, and an Ankh Shield is a hardmode item, so, i'm not sure it should be apart of the Ankh Shield because of that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom