Please fix or nerf the Medusa enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I just face away and use waterbolt at a wall for early game and then after I beat the golem I get possessed hatchet which allows you to aim away from Medusa and have the hatchet auto aim path towards her and wipe her out in a few hits. :D

I was thinking of the stone resistance being the stone mask (like the one from Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask.) Which lowers enemy spawn rates and resists petrify, although, by hardmode, medusa's aren't really a threat, and an Ankh Shield is a hardmode item, so, i'm not sure it should be apart of the Ankh Shield because of that..
im pretty sure whether or not you're in hardmode taking 500 fall damage from a fall that otherwise couldn't hurt you is still dangerous to hardmode characters

Medusa are the Bomber Clowns/Lava Slimes version 2.0 - let's nerf what we don't want to adapt to, it's the way of modern gaming, after all.

Yes, I died to a Medusa. Once. Then I actively searched for one and observed what it did, and how to deal with their attack. Hope they don't get changed in Expert Mode. Would be a pity to ruin such a good enemy in all its instances.

I'm so, so, so very sorry we're not as good as almighty @Kyouko Tsukino and @Based Hie that we should never, ever, ever die to anything.

*rolls eyes*

The Elitism in this thread just stinks. Shouldn't you guys be in Expert Mode, and away from us "scrubs" who don't like enemies who kill you flat out dead from off-screen in our Scrub Mode? Why are you even in this thread talking with us scrubs if you're so much better than us, anyway?

Well for one I don't explode into the melodrama when I make posts and according to some, I actually have a place for my opinion here. I also don't directly call people out. I hardly ever reference people by name here in the first place. Also who's to say I don't have an expert mode world?

I do tend to die but I don't come on the forums and demand nerfs when I do. I mentioned before that I have in fact been drop killed by medusa but I really didn't get bothered by it. The hellevator is right there and I can walk over and jump back down it, even finding new :red: to dig up. So obviously medusa's shenanigans are welcome in MY world.

You know what actually bothers me? How I cant exit game for a break then come back in where I left off.

So get over it! There will be some unavoidable deaths. And yes, this does suck for hardmode people, but this is mostly going towards the people wining about the couple of times they died these sad deaths. (Please don't hurt me!)

I do not understand you point of view whatsoever. People should complain about unfair deaths because that is what fixes them and either makes it fair again or flat out removes them. That's why Clowns destroying terrain, Vile Spit spreading Corruption, and Lava Slimes dropping lava on death were removed, because they were unfair mechanics that destroyed your stuff & made the game difficult for the wrong reasons. The point of most games (looking at you, Cat Mario!) is to be fair to the players playing the game so that they don't just stop playing because of it. Life might not be fair, but games certainly can, and should, be.

On topic, I agree with the prospect of fixing their range & ability. They should only be able to stone you when they are in view range of the player, and if there are no solid blocks between them. If the item works like that, then shouldn't the monster that drops it?

Well for one I don't explode into the melodrama when I make posts and according to some, I actually have a place for my opinion here. I also don't directly call people out. I hardly ever reference people by name here in the first place. Also who's to say I don't have an expert mode world?

I do tend to die but I don't come on the forums and demand nerfs when I do. I mentioned before that I have in fact been drop killed by medusa but I really didn't get bothered by it. The hellevator is right there and I can walk over and jump back down it, even finding new :red: to dig up. So obviously medusa's shenanigans are welcome in MY world.

Yes, well, Elitism still stinks. Expecting everybody else to be as awesome as you is still elitism, and it still reeks. If I die, hey fine. If I die because of something incredibly cheap that there's no defense against it.... yes, I have a problem with that. Medusa very much qualify; they spawn outside of their biome (even when said biome is off-screen), they nail you from off-screen, and a lot of times you don't even see where it came from and they can either insta-kill you, or reduce you to a state where you're helpless for 6 seconds which is easily enough for something like a mimic or a turtle to chew your face off.

And again..... no defense against it. None.

If we're going to add new debuffs to the game, we could at least add new accessories that protect from these debuffs. Petrification and that stupid Electric DoT from the Martian Madness are both cheap and nothing in the game protects against it.

The only other debuff that has no way of escape, is the incredibly dark blindness from the ragged casters in the dungeon, and that won't necessarily kill you AND it only lasts 3 seconds (same goes for the kind that the Lunar Event enemies do). Oh, and there's a gravity debuff, but you can always run away and wait for it to wear off. They don't insta-kill you or shear off 100+ HP without any sort of consideration for Defense.

I just don't think dying to things that you can't see/prepare for is fair. They might as well make her skill teleports you back to your spawn point because that tends to happen when she does her thing offscreen. So save me that 10 seconds wait.

Reducing her range and remove that ability to stone you through multiple layers of obstacles would suffice.

I just don't think dying to things that you can't see/prepare for is fair. They might as well make her skill teleports you back to your spawn point because that tends to happen when she does her thing offscreen. So save me that 10 seconds wait.

Reducing her range and remove that ability to stone you through multiple layers of obstacles would suffice.

I'd propose that she be given about the same range as the Solar Eruption weapon, and that she must be visible in a lit area for it to work. Medusa turn you to stone because they are so ugly when you look at them. So if they are in the darkness, and you can't see it, how are they turning you to stone? lol.

If they did that, then they'd be at least more bearable. You'd have some kind of prior warning. Oh, and give her some kind of ambient hissing noise or something she makes so you at least know there's one nearby so you have some warning to drop what you're doing and get on the ground asap. Then it WOULD be a skill-based thing to pay attention to audio cues.

EDIT: Also, the ability should not travel through solid blocks whatsoever.

With the sprite they are given I most certainly won't get turned to stone because they are ugly. I actually think they look kind of cute and even cuter when she uses her attack.

She is actually a Succubus!

That is besides the point here though :p

Also, the ability should not travel through solid blocks whatsoever.

Missed this edit.

I really don't get how people are experiencing this. I've faced Medusa plenty of times, and none of them have frozen me through blocks.

The arc to suffer from it is 180degrees as I have been turned to stone by being below her, which is a little odd, but never through blocks. I often use blocks to obstruct her sight to deal with other mobs first.

After playing a bit with it and of course read the wiki ;)
i went down to the caves and found a medusa to be my research pet

It doesnt go through blocks at all.
3kYKt2C.jpg

The max distance i went away from her was about 60 - 65 blocks at which she went totally out of my screen and despawned
You can even remove one of the blocks and nothing will happen.

It does works weird when you're above her
GbaLmZk.jpg

But not below
VaSYTof.jpg

The red line is the safe spot

So... yeah the only OP thing about medusa is that range

3kYKt2C.jpg

The max distance i went away from her was about 60 - 65 blocks at which she went totally out of my screen and despawned

GbaLmZk.jpg

But not below
VaSYTof.jpg

So what you're saying is due to pure confirmation bias, and anecdotal evidence you can say for 100% certainty she never hits you through blocks?

ok kiddo keep telling yourself that... she's just a buggy trash enemy

3kYKt2C.jpg

GbaLmZk.jpg

But not below
VaSYTof.jpg

Your research contradicts itself. Looks clear to me that it goes through blocks in the 'above' test.

Also, seeing as there are no hit boxes in the game(ie: headshots don't exist), it would be logical to assume that the eye-beam-of-death doesn't come from Medusa's upper torso, so line of sight is irrelevant for the top of the 3 blocks based on her height. Which means in your first test (standing horizontally in front of her), should have petrified you no questions asked. Yet she didn't, and could petrify you in the 'below' example. It is inconsistent.

So what you're saying is due to pure confirmation bias, and anecdotal evidence you can say for 100% certainty she never hits you through blocks?

ok kiddo keep telling yourself that... she's just a buggy trash enemy

Nope, didnt say 100% in my message and it was a quick test in-game

Your research contradicts itself. Looks clear to me that it goes through blocks in the 'above' test.

Also, seeing as there are no hit boxes in the game(ie: headshots don't exist), it would be logical to assume that the eye-beam-of-death doesn't come from Medusa's upper torso, so line of sight is irrelevant for the top of the 3 blocks based on her height. Which means in your first test (standing horizontally in front of her), should have petrified you no questions asked. Yet she didn't, and could petrify you in the 'below' example. It is inconsistent.

While standing horizontally she could've petrified me only when 2 adyacent(?) blocks were removed so leaving only the block in the middle she wouldnt petrify me

And yes i did made a mistake by saying that it doesnt go through blocks at all as i was making the post while "testing" that's why then i said that it does work weird when you're below medusa

Edit: And i though the whole reason of this thread was about the distance she could petrify you

Last edited:
There's more to this thread than just the distance
The fact that this game lacks proper hitboxes makes her one of the buggiest enemies at the best of times simply because you can't rely on blocks to always function as they should....

I can confirm that if you have above them, Medusae will petrify you even if you are behind a mound of stone.
Being below them doesn't seem to do anything.

So it is quite literally broken and quite literally needs to be fixed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, well, Elitism still stinks. Expecting everybody else to be as awesome as you is still elitism, and it still reeks. If I die, hey fine. If I die because of something incredibly cheap that there's no defense against it.... yes, I have a problem with that. Medusa very much qualify; they spawn outside of their biome (even when said biome is off-screen), they nail you from off-screen, and a lot of times you don't even see where it came from and they can either insta-kill you, or reduce you to a state where you're helpless for 6 seconds which is easily enough for something like a mimic or a turtle to chew your face off.

And again..... no defense against it. None.

If we're going to add new debuffs to the game, we could at least add new accessories that protect from these debuffs. Petrification and that stupid Electric DoT from the Martian Madness are both cheap and nothing in the game protects against it.

The only other debuff that has no way of escape, is the incredibly dark blindness from the ragged casters in the dungeon, and that won't necessarily kill you AND it only lasts 3 seconds (same goes for the kind that the Lunar Event enemies do). Oh, and there's a gravity debuff, but you can always run away and wait for it to wear off. They don't insta-kill you or shear off 100+ HP without any sort of consideration for Defense.
This isn't related to the Medusa, but the Electrified debuff doesn't seem to do anything against me other than rapid health loss. I can still move.
Bug? Should I be thankful that I'm having this bug?

Oh, what terrible experiences I've had with medusas and marble biomes...
The first time I saw a marble biome, I was like "Hey, new content, awesome!". I had quite the :red:ty equipment, but it was strong enough to fend off normal underground enemies. A moment later I was stoned and pierced to death by a hundred javelins.
Then I said to myself, "Okay, medusas are f*cking OP, I'll just avoid marble biomes" and I went to explore somewhere else. A few minutes later, as I was grappling to the ceiling of some cave, I just turned to stone, fell from my hook and took around 500 fall damage, when there was NO MARBLE BIOME IN SIGHT! (The medusa wasn't on screen either, it was just hiding in some dark corner off-screen, how the hell can I look in something I don't see to be petrified?!)

I agree they need to be nerfed (a lot!)
The best ideas on this thread were:
1. Make their petrification attack useless if they aren't lit up (how can you see them in the dark to be petrified? It is implied that you look them in the eyes, you know...)
2. Make their attack visible - something that indicates where you will be petrified and where you're safe.
3. Make them not able to petrify you THROUGH WALLS! Yes, they do that a lot.
4. Lengthen the time for reaction before the attack - give players time to turn away before it's too late.
5. Maybe nerfing their health and damage in general would help, they are A LOT stronger than most underground enemies. With the weapons which made short work of the hoplites, the medusas were a pain in the butt.
6. An petrification-immunity-granting-item would help a GREAT deal.

Right now the medusas on normal are suitable for expert mode. And for the love of god, remove that fall damage >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom