Please fix or nerf the Medusa enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before i begin, hi, im new.

soler's research isn't 100%, i know, but the 2nd and 3rd picture showed medusa making an ugly face and showing her snake tongue, while the 1st picture showed her triing to run towards you (silly little girl).
In conclusion, it is possible that she turns the player into stone when her sprite looks like the pictures from the 2nd and 3rd picture.

Now for two little theories:

wouldn't it be possible to predict where the medusa spawns? Think about it, she only spawns in marble zones, when you turned into stone, what was the direction your player was facing? The left or the right?
Second, what if she didn't turned you into stone offscreen, but turned you onscreen? All of the posts i saw here stated that she turned you guys into stone offscreen, but think about the parts of the cave that are blacked out because you didn't have the importance of mining it, it is possible she turned you into stoned hiding inside those dark places.

Sorry if my english is bad, it's not my 1st language.

although, by hardmode, medusa's aren't really a threat, and an Ankh Shield is a hardmode item, so, i'm not sure it should be apart of the Ankh Shield because of that..

You're joking, right?

Medusae are TOTALLY still a threat, in part because of the "maximized fall damage while petrified" thing - needs to be removed, BTW - and mostly because they also make you a sitting duck for other enemies.

Second, you know what else isn't really much of a threat by hardmode? Poison. And yet it gives immunity to that anyway, because why shouldn't it? It's status immunity, not hardmode immunity.

Aside: If we're REALLY concerned about lore, then shouldn't all shields give immunity? I mean, using a shield to block your line of sight is in basically EVERY gorgon story I've ever heard.

I can confirm that this mob is HIGHLY annoying. I got caught in a small spot with a Medusa, and the exact second the debuff wears off, oops, I got it INSTANTLY. It then proceeds to drop me into water, where I was pretty much doomed. Lowering the rate of their debuff attack, and then it'll be better. Because this is complete bullcrap.

To anyone giving tips on fighting Medusa: That isn't the problem. Of all the people I've seen complaining about Medusa, only a handful of them have brought up fighting her directly.

The problem is her ability to kill you before you're aware you're even near the marble biome to begin with. My first encounter went like this:
  1. Explore the underground jungle.
  2. Shoot some flares, then hop down to a lower ledge.
  3. Turn to stone and die immediately on landing.
  4. See Medusa wander in from the left edge of the screen.

I had not seen the marble biome, nor was there any warning of her attack. Just spontaneous death. No way in the world that type of thing is fair. The only defenses against such a thing are either luck or extreme paranoia. Like, shoot flares constantly and refuse to jump or fall more than 3 tiles at a time even if you can normally fly and survive a freefall from orbit.

That is a problem. If you have to alter your entire playstyle, or always have a certain item equipped, just to accommodate and survive a chance encounter with a single enemy, that's what we call bull:red:.

Petrification and that stupid Electric DoT from the Martian Madness are both cheap and nothing in the game protects against it.

Wow.

The electrified debuff (I think that's what it's called) is something you can avoid, and the fact that you can still jump up and not take damage is ok enough to avoid some other attacks. The fact that you said it is "cheap" bugs me because not every single debuff needs something that gives you immunity to it. Seriously, just wear some wings and fly around.

More to the related topic, I think giving this debuff an immunity would really make the mob useless to even exist, as its sole purpose in life is to turn you to stone. That being said, it probably would be better off being buffed to a shorter range, don't ya think?

That is a problem. If you have to alter your entire playstyle, or always have a certain item equipped, just to accommodate and survive a chance encounter with a single enemy, that's what we call bull:red:.

This is ultimately the problem I have with Medusa. As an enemy addition, I am perfectly fine with the idea of Medusa being added. I am ok with her gaze petrifying you and killing you on impact of a fall. I mean let's be realistic, if you turn into stone and fall a long distance, you would probably crack into a million pieces anyways and humpty dumpty will not be putting you back together.

So to summarize:

I am OK with Medusa being an enemy.
I am OK with Medusa's stone gaze kililng you from impact.

I am NOT ok with block penetration to hit you.
I am NOT ok with the gaze hitting you off screen.
I am NOT ok with the gaze hitting you if you are not facing in her direction (I mean Medusa lore wise has to lock gazes with you). But again, this is a problem with a 2D game, you are either facing left or you are facing right.

I am INDIFFERENT with giving the debuff an immunity. Like someone said, it would make the enemy useless and it's not like more than one enemy can inflict this. So I lean more towards NOT being ok with an immunity. Although, I really liked what someone said either in this topic or another about the Blindfold accessory providing an immunity to Medusa's gaze for the obvious reason (she can't lock gazes with you). Although it would have to be limited to just that accessory and NOT carry over with the combination or to the Celestial Stone since it would no longer be a Blindfold.

Last edited:
If you try to make lore the priority, you're doing it wrong. Let that ride the backseat when creating anything in a game:p
[DOUBLEPOST=1436226876,1436226667][/DOUBLEPOST]
I really liked what someone said either in this topic or another about the Blindfold accessory providing an immunity to Medusa's gaze for the obvious reason (she can't lock gazes with you). Although it would have to be limited to just that accessory and NOT carry over with the combination or to the Celestial Stone since it would no longer be a Blindfold.

Yes! I agree with this 100%, although it would still make sense to carry the immunity over to the shield as Terraria doesn't always make sense (a weapon called the Deadly Sphere Staff can have the Deadly prefix, making it the Deadly Deadly Sphere Staff, which is funny and nonsensical).

If you reread prior posts, the context of what he's conveying makes sense. Although you might frown upon reading that because that was awhile ago and filtering through posts is a bore

I haven't really found the Medusa annoying yet, though that's probably because I've only fought them by themselves and the whole stone thing isn't really too useful unless your either with other enemies or in some type of dire circumstance.

Though yeah. I could see myself flying too high in the air with rocket boots and without a Lucky Horseshoe only to be petrified and fall to my death.

I would be perfectly fine if they petrified ONLY when they are on screen (because getting petrified from 2 screens away with no way to counter it is bull:red:) and with a delay only when you are facing them (which seems to be an actual feature but no matter what, on multiplayer I get petrified instantly AND when I'm facing them). Toning down the fall damage mechanic tied to it wouldn't hurt either (it would still hurt, just not that much).

The core reason why Medusa is so broken is the Stone Debuff. I doubt anyone will be complaining as much if Stone didn't shut down any form of fall damage immunity as well as buff the fall damage you take as well as leave you for up to 6 seconds (in comparison, Frozen is just 1 second, doesn't shut down fall damage immunity or buff said fall damage and is never guaranteed to be inflicted by whatever does inflict it) completely unable to move. Nerf those mechanics (read: Don't shut down fall damage immunity or add fall damage and dial the duration to 1-2 seconds) and she will be fine, ableit buggy.

I don't know, but so far I don't have a problem with medusa. I haven't been petrified from one that was off the screen, that's for sure.

The core reason why Medusa is so broken is the Stone Debuff. I doubt anyone will be complaining as much if Stone didn't shut down any form of fall damage immunity as well as buff the fall damage you take as well as leave you for up to 6 seconds (in comparison, Frozen is just 1 second, doesn't shut down fall damage immunity or buff said fall damage and is never guaranteed to be inflicted by whatever does inflict it) completely unable to move. Nerf those mechanics (read: Don't shut down fall damage immunity or add fall damage and dial the duration to 1-2 seconds) and she will be fine, ableit buggy.

Also I love how it instantly takes you out of mounts, even the mining machine isn't immune to it, strangely enough.

Also I love how it instantly takes you out of mounts, even the mining machine isn't immune to it, strangely enough.
I thought it was especially weird that it knocks you out of a mine carts. I can sort of see it if you're in a saddle riding on some sort of beast, a little control might be required to hang on. But when you're sitting in a box, you'd think you'd stay there, no matter what you're made out of.

Just got killed by a Medusa from offscreen in a granite biome literally nowhere near a marble biome. This is starting to get :red:ing ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom