Please Help

uli12237

Terrarian
Well, look I can not play terraria 1.4 update because I am not able to create or log in to a created world

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-05-18_16-23-14.png
    Screenshot_2020-05-18_16-23-14.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 236
  • Screenshot_2020-05-18_16-23-25.png
    Screenshot_2020-05-18_16-23-25.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 261
  • Screenshot_2020-05-18_16-23-36.png
    Screenshot_2020-05-18_16-23-36.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 230
I see you're playing on Linux (like me), so may I suggest you playing Terraria using Steam's Proton? Preferably, you need a GPU that supports Vulkan.

You'll also need to install .NET 4.5.2 into your Terraria prefix. Here's some quick steps:

1. Open Steam, search for Terraria.
2. Right-click Terraria, go to Properties.
3. Tick the box that says: Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool
4. Pick Proton 5.0-7 (or any newer version, if available).
5. Close the dialog.
6. Steam will download Proton and also the Windows version of Terraria.
7. After the download finishes, you'll need to run Terraria at least once, so it can create the Wine prefix and install the necessary components.

Running the game will either show give a .NET error or will work just fine. Regardless, you shouldn't actually play the game, because it will be really buggy. Instead, just close it and install .NET 4.5.2 by using an external program called protontricks. Install it and run this in a terminal window:

Code:
$ protontricks 105600 dotnet452

It will take a while to finish downloading and installing .NET, but after that, you can launch Terraria normally using Steam. And I can guarantee you'll get better fps than the native Linux version.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I see you're playing on Linux (like me), so may I suggest you playing Terraria using Steam's Proton? Preferably, you need a GPU that supports Vulkan.

You'll also need to install .NET 4.5.2 into your Terraria prefix. Here's some quick steps:

1. Open Steam, search for Terraria.
2. Right-click Terraria, go to Properties.
3. Tick the box that says: Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool
4. Pick Proton 5.0-7 (or any newer version, if available).
5. Close the dialog.
6. Steam will download Proton and also the Windows version of Terraria.
7. After the download finishes, you'll need to run Terraria at least once, so it can create the Wine prefix and install the necessary components.

If the game launches normally for you for the first time, don't actually play the game, because it will be really buggy. Instead, just close it and install .NET 4.5.2 by using an external program called protontricks. Install it and run this in a terminal window:

Code:
$ protontricks 105600 dotnet452

It will take a while to finish downloading and installing .NET, but after that, you can launch Terraria normally using Steam. And I can guarantee you'll get better fps than the native Linux version.

Good luck.

I did all of that but the game in steam doesn´t launch, it said running and it closes immediately

I did all of that but the game in steam doesn´t launch, it said running and it closes immediately

Okay, let's check the log files. Put this in Terraria's launch options:

Code:
PROTON_LOG=1 %command%

Then, run Terraria again. A file named steam-105600.log will be created in your home folder. Post the contents of that file here so I can analyse it.

Okay, let's check the log files. Put this in Terraria's launch options:

Code:
PROTON_LOG=1 %command%

Then, run Terraria again. A file named steam-105600.log will be created in your home folder. Post the contents of that file here so I can analyse it.
Okey this is the log.

Attachments

• steam-105600.log
    63.1 KB · Views: 131
The relevant error is here:

Code:
11391.225:00bc:00c0:err:vulkan:wine_vkCreateInstance Failed to create instance, res=-1

Question: Does your GPU supports Vulkan? If you're not sure, just tell me what your GPU is. If it does support Vulkan, you may need to install the Vulkan drivers, so also tell me what is your distro and its version.

The relevant error is here:

Code:
11391.225:00bc:00c0:err:vulkan:wine_vkCreateInstance Failed to create instance, res=-1

Question: Does your GPU supports Vulkan? If you're not sure, just tell me what your GPU is. If it does support Vulkan, you may need to install the Vulkan drivers, so also tell me what is your distro and its version.
No, I think it is OpenGL

To get your GPU name:

Code:
lspci | grep VGA

To get your CPU name:

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -m 1 name

To get your distro name:

Code:
lsb_release -a

To get your GPU name:

Code:
lspci | grep VGA

To get your CPU name:

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -m 1 name

To get your distro name:

Code:
lsb_release -a
GPU name: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 5500 (rev 09)
CPU name: model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz
Distro name:
LSB Version: 1.4
Distributor ID: Arch
Description: Arch Linux
Release: rolling
Codename: n/a

GPU name: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 5500 (rev 09)
CPU name: model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz
Distro name:
LSB Version: 1.4
Distributor ID: Arch
Description: Arch Linux
Release: rolling
Codename: n/a

Thanks! I'll be honest, though. I couldn't find reliable information about Vulkan support for the Intel HD Graphics 5500.

So, let's just assume there is a Vulkan driver for it, since I've seen people running Vulkan on Intel HD Graphics 4000 before. So, you need to Install the following packages: vulkan-icd-loader, vulkan-intel and lib32-vulkan-intel:

Code:
sudo pacman -S vulkan-icd-loader vulkan-intel lib32-vulkan-intel

After installing it, reboot your computer then try launching Terraria again. If it doesn't work, post the log files here again, please.

Thanks! I'll be honest, though. I couldn't find reliable information about Vulkan support for the Intel HD Graphics 5500.

So, let's just assume there is a Vulkan driver for it, since I've seen people running Vulkan on Intel HD Graphics 4000 before. So, you need to Install the following packages: vulkan-icd-loader, vulkan-intel and lib32-vulkan-intel:

Code:
sudo pacman -S vulkan-icd-loader vulkan-intel lib32-vulkan-intel

After installing it, reboot your computer then try launching Terraria again. If it doesn't work, post the log files here again, please.
It is not working

Attachments

• steam-105600.log
    62 KB · Views: 113
Damn, I can't believe they don't actually have a Vulkan driver for the HD 5500... I've edited my previous post to include the vulkan-icd-loader package because I forgot about it, so can you please double-check that it's installed? Just run:

Code:
pacman -Qi vulkan-icd-loader

If it's not installed, you'll get this message: error: package 'vulkan-icd-loader' was not found.

If it's installed, then I'm afraid running via Proton won't work for you, unless you wanna try running using OpenGL, but I'm not sure about the performance...

If you want to give it a try, just set your Terraria's launch options to this:

Code:
PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 PROTON_LOG=1 %command%

You can check the fps in-game by pressing F10. Also, you can go back to the native Linux version at any time, just open Terraria's properties on Steam and untick the "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool" option. After that, you'll also need to change the launch options if you want to generate a log file:

Code:
%command% &> ~/terraria.log

Then a file named terraria.log will be created in your home folder.

Damn, I can't believe they don't actually have a Vulkan driver for the HD 5500... I've edited my previous post to include the vulkan-icd-loader package because I forgot about it, so can you please double-check that it's installed? Just run:

Code:
pacman -Qi vulkan-icd-loader

If it's not installed, you'll get this message: error: package 'vulkan-icd-loader' was not found.

If it's installed, then I'm afraid running via Proton won't work for you, unless you wanna try running using OpenGL, but I'm not sure about the performance...

If you want to give it a try, just set your Terraria's launch options to this:

Code:
PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 PROTON_LOG=1 %command%

You can check the fps in-game by pressing F10. Also, you can go back to the native Linux version at any time, just open Terraria's properties on Steam and untick the "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool" option. After that, you'll also need to change the launch options if you want to generate a log file:

Code:
%command% &> ~/terraria.log

Then a file named terraria.log will be created in your home folder.
if I put this command: PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 PROTON_LOG=1 %command%
the game launch but it still crashing when I try to create a world.
And I have this .log in my terraria folder

And thanks for help me.
I hope we could find a solution to this problem

Attachments

• Log_20200518155753956.log
    23 bytes · Views: 113
Last edited:
if I put this command: PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 PROTON_LOG=1 %command%
the game launch but it still crashing when I try to create a world.
And I have this .log in my terraria folder

And thanks for help me.
I hope we could find a solution to this problem

Yeah, I don't think it's worth running the Windows version on your computer, because it will use OpenGL anyway, just like the native Linux version, but with less fps (I've tested it).

So, I'd suggest to go back to the native Linux version and do what I said in my previous post.

Unfortunately, the log file you attached isn't very helpful to find out why the game is not opening...

Yeah, I don't think it's worth running the Windows version on your computer, because it will use OpenGL anyway, just like the native Linux version, but with less fps (I've tested it).

So, I'd suggest to go back to the native Linux version and do what I said in my previous post.

Unfortunately, the log file you attached isn't very helpful to find out why the game is not opening...
Well I try this and the game still crashing and this is the log.

Attachments

• terraria.log
    2.5 KB · Views: 127
Well I try this and the game still crashing and this is the log.

Hmm, I don't think the log file shows anything relevant, because I get a similar output... :/

Can you check if there's a file named client-crashlog.txt in ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Terraria/?

By the way, can you at least get to the game's menu or it crashes as soon as you launch it?

Hmm, I don't think the log file shows anything relevant, because I get a similar output... :/

Can you check if there's a file named client-crashlog.txt in ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Terraria/?

By the way, can you at least get to the game's menu or it crashes as soon as you launch it?
No, I do not have a file called like that, but the game crashes when I try to open a world or create one

No, I do not have a file called like that, but the game crashes when I try to open a world or create one

Oof. Then I'm not sure what it could be.

Perhaps try starting fresh by deleting everything inside ~/.local/share/Terraria/?

I'm out of ideas, sorry...

Oof. Then I'm not sure what it could be.

Perhaps try starting fresh by deleting everything inside ~/.local/share/Terraria/?

I'm out of ideas, sorry...
okey a will try that later, if it does not work should I try to do what?
Because I have tried kind a lot of things and the problem still here...
Do not get me wrong, you had help me a lot so thank you.

Back
Top Bottom