Please increase the buff limits on players.

Sprite

Terrarian
With the current run I'm playing on my livestream, I'm finding that the game is deleting various buffs once I hit the cap (22). This is really annoying as a Summoner, as the game is automatically deleting my summons, and I'm needing to resummon them all mid-fight. 22 just isn't enough without sacrificing some buffs. (Debuffs are also included in this, as they will overwrite your buffs as well.)

Next patch, PLEASE increase our buff cap from 22 to 33 or something else relevant. It's getting extremely frustrating watching my minions disappear because oops, I got debuffed twice and now my summons just left the game!

Makes sense. Finding the resources and time to get the buffs in the first place should be all the difficulty necessary, otherwise you should be rewarded for as many consumables as you sacrifice to buff yourself. I find myself having to disable arbitrary "buffs" like pets, light pets and some placed buff stations just to make room for the rare occasion where I find myself using multiple buff potions frequently.

Makes sense. Finding the resources and time to get the buffs in the first place should be all the difficulty necessary, otherwise you should be rewarded for as many consumables as you sacrifice to buff yourself. I find myself having to disable arbitrary "buffs" like pets, light pets and some placed buff stations just to make room for the rare occasion where I find myself using multiple buff potions frequently.
Yeah, I've wound up needing to sacrifice various buffs during boss fights and sometimes while exploring just because the game would debuff me through enemy attacks, water candle auras, or potion sickness and the game eating my summons. Considering how many unique buffs that are common to use (Heart Lantern, Campfire, Honey, Peace Candle, Calming Potion, Banners, Endurance, Ironskin, Regeneration, Lifeforce, Swiftness, Wrath/Rage, Mana Regen, Magic Power, Archery, Tables, etc.) we don't have enough buff slots without sacrificing a handful of them for consistency's sake. This is doubly so in areas with multiple debuffs being placed at once.

Ah right as summoners weapons all count as buffs they probably should remove the minions themselves from counting against the buff limit. I have really only run into this issue a few times but that is probably because I don't main summoner. It might also be a good idea to split the limits on buffs and debuffs so a mind debuff like Feral bite or water candle doesn't cancel an important buff like the well fed/satisfied/exquisitely stuffed buffs

Man I remember back in the day when you could only have 10. There are a lot more buffs and debuffs now though, so yeah we definitely need a higher limit. Also, set bonuses and aesthetic things like pets should not count as buffs.

Man I remember back in the day when you could only have 10. There are a lot more buffs and debuffs now though, so yeah we definitely need a higher limit. Also, set bonuses and aesthetic things like pets should not count as buffs.
I don't think the game can tell the difference between the player clicking the minion's buff icon to remove it and another buff overwriting it when there are no free slots.

If I understand it correctly, buffs and debuffs share slots, and when out of buff slots a buff/debuff will overwrite the first non-debuff in the list.

This could be changed to, for example, prefer removing the shortest duration buff instead of always replacing the first one. If they made it so minions can't be overwritten, then you could exploit that to block the game from giving a dangerous debuff by having minions and weak/cosmetic debuffs completely fill your slots.

I don't think the game can tell the difference between the player clicking the minion's buff icon to remove it and another buff overwriting it when there are no free slots.

If I understand it correctly, buffs and debuffs share slots, and when out of buff slots a buff/debuff will overwrite the first non-debuff in the list.

This is correct, but I don't know why you're saying it, or what it has to do with what you quoted.

This is correct, but I don't know why you're saying it, or what it has to do with what you quoted.
You are saying that pets should not count as buffs, but pets being in the buff system is what provides the user interface for unsummoning specific pets types.
Edit: Okay I was using pets interchangeably with minions and my statement makes no sense.

Last edited:

This could be changed to, for example, prefer removing the shortest duration buff instead of always replacing the first one. If they made it so minions can't be overwritten, then you could exploit that to block the game from giving a dangerous debuff by having minions and weak/cosmetic debuffs completely fill your slots.
This isn't really true. I noticed that while playing again, when I hit the buff limit and got another buff/debuff (23), it actually removed all of my static buffs (Light Pet, Pet, Summons, etc.) and reapplied them based on what was equipped, but kept my Summons off (since they aren't equipped.)

I almost never hit the buff cap, and when I do I can just unsummon my pets and at worst sacrifice a low-impact buff. That being said... there really is no reason to have a buff cap, is there?

Last edited:
This isn't really true. I noticed that while playing again, when I hit the buff limit and got another buff/debuff (23), it actually removed all of my static buffs (Light Pet, Pet, Summons, etc.) and reapplied them based on what was equipped, but kept my Summons off (since they aren't equipped.)

I would expect the leftmost icon that is not a debuff to disappear, icons after it to be shifted left by one to fill the empty space, and the new buff/debuff to become the new bottom-right-most icon. The wiki agrees with me on this behavior.

I almost never hit the buff cap, and when I do I can just unsummon my pets and at worst sacrifice a low-impact buff. That being said... there really is no reason to have a buff cap? is there?

Dynamic resizing buff slots is avoided because when memory is moved and copied as little as possible the game will run more smoothly. The most likely reason slots won't be adjusted is that the UI would need to be rearranged to make space for more icons.

I've double checked the bug reports and everything related to the issues discussed in this thread has been closed with working as intended.

I would expect the leftmost icon that is not a debuff to disappear, icons after it to be shifted left by one to fill the empty space, and the new buff/debuff to become the new bottom-right-most icon. The wiki agrees with me on this behavior.

Dynamic resizing buff slots is avoided because when memory is moved and copied as little as possible the game will run more smoothly. The most likely reason slots won't be adjusted is that the UI would need to be rearranged to make space for more icons.

I've double checked the bug reports and everything related to the issues discussed in this thread has been closed with working as intended.
"Working as intended" they mean "artificially punishing the player by making them suffer the loss of their minions when they need to heal or get hit by a debuff."

"Working as intended" they mean "artificially punishing the player by making them suffer the loss of their minions when they need to heal or get hit by a debuff."
There was no response to the request to prioritize removing potions/etc over minions. It might be worth trying to ask for that again. It is not a difficult change. Those bugs may have been closed because they assumed the only solution was increasing buff slots.

Yeah, it's annoying. It happened just yesterday, when mid Moon Lord fight, getting in the range of a random banner arbitrarily cancelled my mana regen potion's effect, and I was just baffled why won't the mana regenerate?! XD It's funny when put this way, but mid fight, it's actually very annoying. I had spares, so consumed another, but such a thing should not happen.

It also cancelled the stadust dragon some other time. and probably other things too, like lvl 3 well fed.

and since the battle is so fast paced, you might even not notice it until later. you went through the trouble to get all those buffs, but the game will arbitrarily cancel some of them... and then they are wasted and you won't have that higher attack, or mana regen, or anything, you prepared.

There was no response to the request to prioritize removing potions/etc over minions. It might be worth trying to ask for that again. It is not a difficult change. Those bugs may have been closed because they assumed the only solution was increasing buff slots.
It'd be just as simple as modifying what counts as a buff, and what does not. Removing pets as buffs would be a good start. It really feels like they added in new ways to get buffs without consideration that we have a hard cap of 22, which is really easy to hit even by accident.

Back
Top Bottom