tModLoader Pocket Pets (craftable Pokemon pets)

lepus212123

Terrarian
Hi, I've been working on creating a mod to add Pokemon into the game as craftable pets. I know other mods exist that are implementing Pokemon with more complex mechanics, but I was making a simple vanity pet mod for myself and wanted to share my progress here. Pocket Pets (Pokemon) are crafted using different colored Apricorns, which can themselves be crafted using various midgame materials. All sprites have been made and animated from scratch in order to fit in with the game's aesthetic.

ApricornShowcase.png

All 18 Apricorn variations, each used to craft Pocket Pets of their specific typing

PetItemShowcase.png

Summoning items for the 2 finished Pocket Pets

Pika.gif

Pikachu tags along with the player

Woop.gif

Wooper is also here, a bit of an odd choice for one of the first to be implement I know

I'll be releasing versions of the mod in the built-in tmod browser as progress continues. Looking forward to feedback and suggestions!

This shows some promise, although I'd say that it's likely due to your Terraria styled sprites for the first batch of selected Pokémon which look extremely convincing that they came straight out of the vanilla game while also looking accurate to the Pokémon. I'm definitely keeping an eye of Cthulhu on this!

I really like this idea, and the sprites for the Pokémon are really neat!
How many other mods are there that let you summon Pokémon from their severed limbs?! (pssst, the answer is : none that I can think of)

But while the sprites for the Pokémon blend in really nicely with Terraria's style, the sprite for the apricorns are a lot more visually noisy (I'm thinking more particularly about the Flying, and Combat apricorns). I suggest that you opt for more clean textures, maybe even flat colours, so they are less busy, and maybe rely more on tooltips (cold to the touch -> ice, staring at it for too long makes you feel dizzy -> psychic, and so on) to convey the type of the apricorn. Ugh, hope that didn't sound too harsh...

Anyways, I look forward for this mod, sounds really promising!

Last edited:
I really like this idea, and the sprites for the Pokémon are really neat!
How many other mods are there that let you summon Pokémon from their severed limbs?! (pssst, the answer is : none that I can think of)

But while the sprites for the Pokémon blend in really nicely with Terraria's style, the sprite for the apricorns are a lot more visually noisy (I'm thinking more particularly about the Flying, and Combat apricorns). I suggest that you opt for more clean textures, maybe even flat colours, so they are less busy, and maybe rely more on tooltips (cold to the touch -> ice, staring at it for too long makes you feel dizzy -> psychic, and so on) to convey the type of the apricorn. Ugh, hope that didn't sound too harsh...

Anyways, I look forward for this mod, sounds really promising!
Not too harsh at all! I'm happy to get some good in-depth criticism like that, I'll probably be redoing them to be a little more muted, or at least the more flashy ones. The tooltip idea is also very clever, thank you!

I love the idea, and the textures are very well-made! I'm a fan of the electric type apricorn, but some others like the flying type apricorn could use some tweaking in my opinion. Also, Pikachu's skin colour could use some work (more like the volt bunny in 1.4 or something). I like the animations a lot though, they are so smooth!

Overall a great mod, and I can't wait to use this mod in-game!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom