Other Game Pokémon

What is Your Favorite Pokémon Type?

• Total voters
"I'm going to hit you really hard, almost killing you, and if I do, you can be my best friend!" Great logic, especially when you're supposed to bond with them. IMO just throw a ball at full health. Otherwise, it makes most sense if a KO'd Pokémon has a nearly 100% catch rate, since it can't really resist.

"I'm going to hit you really hard, almost killing you, and if I do, you can be my best friend!" Great logic, especially when you're supposed to bond with them. IMO just throw a ball at full health. Otherwise, it makes most sense if a KO'd Pokémon has a nearly 100% catch rate, since it can't really resist.
'Tis why I use Quick Balls - no need for combat.

I know you agree with it (well now I do), but I still technically put words in your mouth... By taking some out, actually.

...They're what. Pokemon Go Plus? Isn't that some wrist thing?

Look, I'll be honest. Go is not what I want out of Pokemon at all. I don't need VR to immerse myself. My overactive imagination does that. Also there is an impossible to mistake comfort in handheld gaming. Pokemon adventuring in their own world is cozy.

Speaking of worlds, the US should have Unova's pokemon by the logic of them, as Unova is based on southern New York and Northern New Jersey, with heaps of our culture in all things down to the pokemon (Braviary and Hydreigon are good examples) and I would, by tbat logic, rather be closer to their version of my country, because immersion might as well be full.

The problem with GO in my opinion was that it wasn't about exploring, but rather about grinding.

That Unova thing. You're absolutely right. If Pokemon were based on locations, it would be so much more interesting.

I know it'd never happen, but if I were in charge of Pokemon GO and had unlimited money, I'd make it so that:

A: Pokemon are found depending on their environment. You can catch Pidgey and Rattata wherever, yes, but other pokemon you'd have to go to the right place for. Cities for stuff like Grimer and Magnemite, Forests and country for things like Ladyba and Oddish, deserts for things like Trapinch and Sandslash, etc. And it would be more than just environment, too. It'd differ depending on country. Gardevoir for France, Mamoswine for Canada or Russia, Infernape for China and Peru...

B: Battles were the same as in the games. Battling in GO is a joke.

C: Remove those stupid teams and their gyms. All they do is allow people to get ahead while others fall behind.

D: Leveling up is done through BATTLES. You know, like they SHOULD be done! Levels are also determined through LEVELS, not that CP crap.

E: All Pokemon are available to be caught from the very start.

F: Items can be bought at any time, as long as you're in a city. Pokemon can also be healed at any time as long as you're in a city, or every 12 hours. Items are bought with Pokecoins which are either purchased or obtained through battles, Pokestops or random treasure found throughout the world.

G: Trading can be done with people next to you, or it can be done with anyone in the world for a Pokecoin fee.

H: Items are also dependent on location. Some items can only be obtained in certain environments or countries. However, these can be bought and sold/traded as well.

I agree with all of this, but I still like the "anime" style of just throwing Pokéballs until you catch your buddy. It helps it keep the battle mechanics fresh for real battles imo, instead of tiring it out needlessly. In the current iteration, you enter battle, try super hard not to kill the enemy by trying to get as close to 1HP as possible, THEN "play Pokémon Go" and throw endless balls at it until you hear a *ding ding ding click!* noise.

Make catching and battling separate things, essentially, is what I would like.

I'm sorry, forgive me if I'm mistaken, but isn't the anime style of catching Pokemon EXACTLY the same as the games? I seem to recall Misty berating ash for not weakening the Pidgeotto before throwing a ball.

Also, I disagree. I would absolutely hate being able to just toss a ball at any old Pokemon and hoping for the best. I'm very much in favor of actually having a degree of control over my chances rather than it being based on dumb luck. It just becomes a clicker at that point. Also I don't get what you're saying by separating catching and battling. Where else would someone throw a Pokeball? Just do it Pokemon snap style and chuck a handful of spheres at passing Pokemon?

If they were almost dead, they wouldn't be fainting. They faint in the wild just like they do in battle. Rest is proven to be enough.

This would assume that Pokemon are weak and like normal creatures, when they're anything but, and proven tough.

Besides, if we really went by the anime - no catching Legendaries or Mythicals. (Unless you're specifically designed to force Ash to lose, that is. Tobias.) You have to settle on Pseudos (though that dos sound like a nice realistic way to play things up in a 'it will never be made' immersive world way.)

Besides, Safari Zones do the 'no hurting them' thing anyway.

Explosion? Recoil attacks? Hi Jump Kick with low accuracy?
I'm not sure what you mean here. You don't want to hurt them when catching them, but its okay to command them to hurt themselves?

And what I mean is, they're going to get hurt when you use them in battle. It's unavoidable. And they're going to get knocked out sometimes, they'll get status effects, they'll need to be healed. You bring that all upon them - after catching them. Unless you just box them, in which case they'll be stuck in a digital prison.

I'm not sure what you mean here. You don't want to hurt them when catching them, but its okay to command them to hurt themselves?

And what I mean is, they're going to get hurt when you use them in battle. It's unavoidable. And they're going to get knocked out sometimes, they'll get status effects, they'll need to be healed. You bring that all upon them - after catching them. Unless you just box them, in which case they'll be stuck in a digital prison.
Not necessarily - the PC is supposed to become much more lively in Sun and Moon, thus making it not as much of a prison.

There are ways to avoid fainting. With proper timing, a Protect, Fly/Dig/Dive/Phantom Force, Refresh, and Recover set can make a Pokémon difficult to kill, even if Protect is traded for Substitute.

As dark as it is to say this, A Pokeball isn't a "befriending" device, it's a subjugation device with the intended purpose of domesticating them afterwards. Weakening them first makes it harder to resist the Pokeball since they don't have their strength. It's possible that the Pokeball mentally subjugates a Pokemon meaning that it won't work correctly on something that's unconscious. As an example, hypnosis wouldn't work on a sleeping human. They'd have to be awake to be properly hypnotized.

We already know that Pokemon that outright hate their masters still cannot do anything about their situation. Case in point, Ghetsis's Hydreigon, which evidenced by it's max power Frustation attack, hates Ghetsis to the utmost possibility.

Last edited:
As dark as it is to say this, A Pokeball isn't a "befriending" device, it's a subjugation device with the intended purpose of domesticating them afterwards. Weakening them first makes it harder to resist the Pokeball since they don't have their strength. It's possible that the Pokeball mentally subjugates a Pokemon meaning that it won't work correctly on something that's unconscious. As an example, hypnosis wouldn't work on a sleeping human. They'd have to be awake to be properly hypnotized.

We already know that Pokemon that outright hate their masters still cannot do anything about their situation. Case in point, Ghetsis's Hydreigon, which evidenced by it's max power Frustation attack, hates Ghetsis to the utmost possible.

Indeed. The befriending process begins after they're caught, represented by Happiness. Pokemon inherently like to fight, deep down. Only trainers can really bring it out. And its by taking good care of them that they start to actually like you - as now represented by Pokemon-Amie and now Refresh. After first caught, they're not sure what to think of you. So they keep pretty much neutral. There have been Pokeballs that instantly make their Happiness raise a lot. The Luxury Ball does it through being extra cozy for whatever they become inside it. And the Friend Ball 'makes them' be more friendly immediately.

Back
Top Bottom