• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

Polish translations mistakes and bugs.

Nexaiter

Official Terrarian
Hello!
I also have some suggestions about changes. I will list everything what sounds ''not fine'' or not natural to me:
-Consumable = nietrwały ------> Konsumpcyje? Do użycia? Jednorazowe? Zużywalne?
-The Bee's Knees = Pszczał ------> //Anything else than this... it doesn't make sense\\ Pszczeli strzał? //Sounds much better to me.
-Hardcore = Trudny -------> Hardcore or Zawodowiec //much better
-Lava wanders = Kalawosze -------> //What?! To be honest i dont know how should this be translated but not 'Kalawosze' \\ Wędrówka lawy, Ogniołazy
-Corrupt Seeds = Zepsute nasiona -------> //Zepsute sounds as it would be broken or destroyed \\ Nasiona zepsucia
-Hallowed (x) = Bajkowe/Bajkowy (x) -------> //It means 'Fairytale', it doesn't fit\\ Święte/Święty
-Shroomite (x) = Grzybielnicowy (x) --------> // What is that? Maybe translator was trying to use word 'Grzybnia' but it didn't work...\\ Grzybniowy? Grzybowy? Idk tbh... :D
-Reaver shark = Zbirekin ------> //It doesn't make sense... There's no actual need for making new word \\ Rekin-Młot? Rekino-Młotek?
-Wormhole potion = //fine but missing letter in polish name :p

That's it for now, I guess. I used items that were on my crappy save without all of the items, but I guess that I would find more during more official gameplay.
Thanks!

Dashiell

Terrarian
Returning from the dead, myself!

Honestly it would be very very helpful if you guys provided language file so we can take care of it fully and provide explainations of our translation choices rather than seek for everything in game because it's easy to miss stuff if you don't have everything stocked in treasury and I'm affraid whole translation is one big google translate mess.

Leinfors

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Re-Logic
I've asked about the language file, but I have not received confirmation on that.

Kpt. Kurczak

Terrarian
Minor fixes: there are items like: Adamantite Bar and Titanium Bar, one of them is translate to Bar of Titanium (Sztabka z Tytanu and Adamantytowa Sztabka), there are more mistakes like this, for bars, pickaxes, axes, swords etc.; there are also translation to Hamaxes, like "Adamantytowy topór wojenny" and "Topór wojenny z orichalcum", one of them is translate to Hamaxe from Orichalcum, there are more of this kind of mistakes, for items and dyes too; there is too much of it to write them all.
I have found some more polish mistakes:
*Death sickle should be translated as "Kosa Śmierci" not "Deadly Sickle"
*Nurse should be "Pielągniarka"
*Dirt = ziemia

XplayYgrek

Terrarian
Hey, the translation is pretty good and you guys deserve a raise, but the bars inconsistency is mildly infuriating. Also from what I've noticed in one of her quotes The Mechanic says "Mówiłem"" which is a male form of "I told".

Kpt. Kurczak

Terrarian
Also herbs should have different names because they sound like monsters from Slavic myths
They could be called:
Daybloom - Kwiat Dnia
Blinkroot - Migotek
Deathweed - Spaczone zielsko
Fireblossom - Ognisty Pęd
Moonglow - Księżycowy Blask
Shiverthorn - Mroźna Róża
Waterleaf - Wodny Liść

Last edited:

Leinfors

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Re-Logic
Not sure what your suggestions are @Kpt. Kurczak, but we did allow for some creative liberty with the translations. They don't need to be word-for-word exact translations, as long as the point is gotten across. :)

Dashiell

Terrarian
So after checking there's extremely varying level of translation from very good to jesus google translate at it's finest.

Consumable > Jednorazowy (Consumables > Jednorazowe) - Well I can't recall better (more clear) way to call one tme use items atm.

Hallow - currently translated as "bajkowy" which would be suitable content wise (Unicorns, Fairies etc) but we're using it as opposition to corruption so "Świętość" is better,I'd need to see more hallow to pass final judgement on that.

Corruption is translated as "Zepsucie" which isn't bad but it could be left as "Skarzenie" which doesn't associates with stale food as "zepsucie" but rather state of which something became worse than it was and keeps it consistent with translation of Corruptor - Skaziciel which is already in game.

Mikstura leczenia needs to be corrected to Mikstura lecznicza, just to keep it consistent with long history of Polish fantasy translations.

Hive (block) - Ul to Plaster Miodu https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaster_(pszczelarstwo), in Polish "Ul" is considered as whole construction of bee house with them living inside rather than piece of honeycomb which basically what this block is.

Leprechaun - it's currently untranslated, we commonly refer to these beings as "Skrzat" so Kapelusz Skrzata, Koszula Skrzata and Spodnie Skrzata

File would be really useful, and I should be asleep past hour... :V

Leinfors

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Re-Logic
Sorry again @Dashiell, but there won't be any news on the file unless I'm told otherwise by tha bosses. It may not be forthcoming.

Dashiell

Terrarian
Sorry again @Dashiell, but there won't be any news on the file unless I'm told otherwise by tha bosses. It may not be forthcoming.
If you could try to convince him, when translating language like Polish where one word will have tons of different -ends on case basis it's just convenient to be able to see all the items related to the one we're trying to translate to keep everything consistent also switching languages every few seconds or refering to wiki is a royal pain and takes more time than necessary which could be spent thinking out fitting translation.

I think that Portal Gun and the Companion Cube should've stayed untranslated
Oh yeah, proper nouns shouldn't be translated, especially when they're taken from other works which have them untranslated as well.

Leinfors

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Re-Logic
If you could try to convince him, when translating language like Polish where one word will have tons of different -ends on case basis it's just convenient to be able to see all the items related to the one we're trying to translate to keep everything consistent also switching languages every few seconds or refering to wiki is a royal pain and takes more time than necessary which could be spent thinking out fitting translation.
Its not about whether its convenient or not; it may not be something the team wants to do on principle. I've already asked, and I won't have anything more to say on the matter unless I'm told I can share it, unfortunately.

thr

Terrarian
'World seed' was translated as 'nasienie', which in modern Polish is almost exclusively used for 'sperm', as in what you use to make babies. The other meaning (plant seed) is nowadays a strictly jargon term, used solely in botanical circles. The word 'nasienie' is NEVER used when dealing with seeds in IT, cryptology and other technical disciplines, and there's a widely accepted 'official' Polish word for this technical term in this context, it's 'ziarno'.
While I do understand that some leniency was given to the translators to stimulate the creative process, choosing this particular word, with its meanings and connotations, seems almost like a provocative joke. Creative thinking is appreciated, but this is a technicality, and smutty, purple prose simply doesn't fit here.
'Wprowadź nasienie' (when entering world seed during world creation) sounds especially egregious, like something taken straight from adult sites, or a veterinarian's insemination manual. Just google it, and you'll see... if you dare. Believe me, I am no prude, but here it's so far off that it's simply offensive.

Żydokomuna

Terrarian
The translation looks cheap. On the first sight it makes you wonder whether the translators did not know the context of what they were translating. Take, for example, the message displayed upon death:

Original:
>You were slain
>Dropped 50 copper
Polish version:
>Giniesz
>Upuszcza 50 miedź​

Translation of the polish version:
>You are dying / You die (looks ok)
>Drops-(third person singular present tense) 50 copper-(nominative case) (looks unintelligible)
The errors:
The verb - to drop - should be either in the second person or bezosobnik (person-less/zero person? - I do not know the English word for this linguistic term)
The direct object - copper - should be in the accusative case.
(The tense also got changed from past (simple) to present (simple/continuous) but that's ok.)

If someone were to translate "Dropped 50 copper" without the knowing the context then it would have been no surprise if they got the wrong conjugation. On paper the third person singular looks like a smart choice since it covers the third person masculine, feminine and neuter persons. It seems like it gives greatest probability of being correct. Perhaps this is also the reason why they went for the present tense - it's still semi-correct and, unlike the past tense, conjugates the same way for all three singular genders. However, had the 'person-less' conjugation had been used it would have been correct independent of the actual person. If I were to compare to English, the choice was between

(1)>(You) drop 50 copper
(2)>(he/she/it) drops 50 copper
(3)>50 copper has been dropped (but in active voice rather than passive ---> lit. "one has dropped 50 copper")​

No. (1) is correct but this cannot be determined without context. No. (3) is correct independent of context. No. (2) was actually used.

On the other hand, the correct case for the noun "copper" should have been inferred from the very short passage "Dropped 50 copper". While English does not inflect nouns based on cases, it can still be inferred from the word order (in this case).

Thus, the "Dropped 50 copper" passage could have been translated correctly even without any context.

The corrected Polish version should look like this:
>Giniesz
>Upuszczasz 50 miedzi​
I left it in the present tense, though I think the past tense would sound more natural.

However, the correction is only correct for specific numbers of coins. (0,5-21,25-31,(...)) The inflection varies with the quantity, gender and the gramatical case. I'm not quite sure how (nouns in different cases seem to inflect differently for different sets of numbers), but thankfully there's an article on it on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_grammar#Numbers_and_quantifiers

I'm not quite sure if this is too readable but TL;DR - The death screen needs sorting out and it can't be done easily - the nouns will inflect differently depending on the number of coins dropped. Also the translators did a poor job.

Last edited:

Frostburn195

Terrarian
Oh. DIdn't notice that topic. I'll just paste my issue if you don't mind. Charm of Myths - in Polish it says "Urok mitów". This is not a correct translation, I think. "Urok" means charm, but it's more like a spell that makes someone fall in love, or listen to the spellcaster, it's like saying "he's so charming". In my opinion, it should say "Talizman mitów" - the word "talizman" can be translated to "talisman" or "charm", and it's probably the correct translation - "Urok" sounds a bit weird to me. Also, the Emblems should be translated "Emblemat" in my opinion - it sounds better and fits the item more in my opinion

Dashiell

Terrarian
The corrected Polish version should look like this:
>Giniesz
>Upuszczasz 50 miedziI left it in the present tense, though I think the past tense would sound more natural.
IMO it needs to be said fully "Upuszczasz XX miedzianych/srebrnych/złotych/platynowych monet" so there's no confusion with craft mats, also "Umierasz" fits better than "Giniesz" because latter suggest that something have killed you while in Terraria it could be as well you skinny dipping in lava for too long so general word like "Umrzeć" fits better as well as "z/ginąć" is also less used synonym of "going missing" which is completely out of place.

Move to Cloud - Przenieś na Chmurę is incorrect, it should be "Przenieś do Chmury" since you're placing save inside (do) something not on to (na) something.

Handgun - Pistolet jednoręczny, jednoręczny is redundant.

Pillar Statue - Posąg kolumny - "posąg" is redundant, "Kolumna" is enough.

Unholy Arrow - Nieświęta Strzała, we don't really use "nieświęty", it could be "Plugawa Strzała", technically it should be "przeklęta strzała" but we literally have "cursed arrow" already.

I have Tombstone with English text next to my house. (Dashiell was removed from [world] by Flaming Arrow)

Ranger Emblem - Symbol leśnika, "Symbol Łowcy" fits better because "leśniczy" is a person taking care of forest as opposed to classic ranged/bow game class Ranger.

Phaseblade - "Miecz świetny" it should be "świetlny" unless you're funnily trying to avoid copyrights it's simple typo.

Welp the to do list isn't getting any shorter. :V

KiNari

Official Terrarian
One major translation mistake that I picked out is corruption. The word that is used in game translates directly as rottenness. I recommend using the word 'korupcja' which makes more sense and is a direct translation.
Corruption seeds - nasiona korupcji
Sandstone block - blok piaskowca
Coral block - blok koralowca
Bar (wooden, furniture item) - bar (no translation needed). The word used in the translation is a direct translation to a metal bar.
Brick layer - układacz cegieł
Glowstick - no translation needed. Word used currently is a direct translation to firefly.
Slime rain achievement mistake - instead of 'deszcz szlam', use 'deszcz szlamu'.
Piguły/piguła is considered a rude word for nurse, in Polish 'pielęgniarka'.
Single player and Multiplayer don't necessarily need translations.
Clear (weather) - czyste niebo (clean/clear sky). Better fitting translation.
Dirt block was already mentioned.
Christmas pudding is not translated! - świąteczny pudding
Snow block - blok śniegu (sounds better)
Stone block - blok kamienia (sounds better)
Fast clock - szybki zegar
Clown fish - błazenek (actual name of the fish in Polish)
I agree with portal items not needing translation.
Nebula mantle - Narzuta mgławicy or płaszcz mgławicy
Drippler - ociekacz (I think the name sounds better, current name doesn't make much sense)
Drippler banner - sztandar ociekacza
Illuminant bat - świetlisty nietoperz (anything illuminant sounds better using 'świetlisty' [m], 'świetlista' [f])
Illuminant bat banner - sztandar świetlistego nietoperza
Skeleton archer - szkielet łucznik
Skeleton archer banner - sztandar szkieleta łucznika

Top Bottom