Map-Puzzle Portal Gun Puzzles

JereTheJuggler

Spazmatism
I tried to make a map that would be truly puzzling, even for people who have already played the actual Portal.

I've had many players test the map for me to help find exploits that I could fix, so you don't need to worry about a broken map.

Only rules are that you have to start with a new character and delete your pickaxe. The portal gun is supplied in the map.

ACTUALLY FEATURES WALLS YOU CAN'T PUT PORTALS ON!!!

Check out the much better, much longer, much more aesthetically pleasing sequel: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/portal-gun-puzzles-2-the-sequel.26358/

Attachments

• Portal Custom Map.zip
    1 MB · Views: 27,606
Last edited:
Gave it a try, it's actually very challenging. I liked the introduction.

Pluses:
+ Clever puzzles
+ Difficulty
Minuses:
- Design

Overall:
7,5/10

Played through. Was a lot of fun! Good job, sir.
You are right, I did rush it a little bit. I wanted it to be one of the very first portal maps, as well as I wanted to be the first one to figure out how to make unportalable walls (which I think I am).

About your criticisms, the reason I didn't go through with the clentaminator and get rid of the crimson is because I actually wanted it to be there. I thought it gave a mysterious and sort of creepy aura to the place. The part with the snow cave and the death pit, it was 100% intentional that the two places you put your portals were the only places you could put your portals, and if you went down that pit I wanted you to die. That part where you can get out of bounds, I did see that, but it wasn't until after I uploaded the map.

You also completed the last level in a way other than what I intended and hadn't seen before (which honestly was kind of impressive with how many people I had test the map).

Overall, I am super excited that someone actually made a video showing off my map, and you've really made my day by doing so. :D

I also feel I should inform you that I am already making another portal map because I was a bit unhappy with how short this one is and how it's difficulty curve can be a bit steep for people who have never played the actual portal. This map I'm currently working on I can guarantee will be even more enjoyable, feature many more gameplay mechanics, be more aesthetically pleasing, and be much longer.

You are right, I did rush it a little bit. I wanted it to be one of the very first portal maps, as well as I wanted to be the first one to figure out how to make unportalable walls (which I think I am).

About your criticisms, the reason I didn't go through with the clentaminator and get rid of the crimson is because I actually wanted it to be there. I thought it gave a mysterious and sort of creepy aura to the place.

You also completed the last level in a way other than what I intended and hadn't seen before (which honestly was kind of impressive with how many people I had test the map).

I also feel I should inform you that I am already making another portal map because I was a bit unhappy with how short this one is and how it's difficulty curve can be a bit steep for people who have never played the actual portal. This map I'm currently working on I can guarantee will be even more enjoyable, feature many more gameplay mechanics, be more aesthetically pleasing, and be much longer.

I kinda figured. Good rep to have the first one. Plus, unportalable walls is gonna be a must-have for future maps.

I think the same thing could have been achived if you had just filled it in with regular stone (especially now that T-edit works for 1.3) and just placed Crimson Music Boxes all over. in the Darkness, where we cant see. (Personally I would have used the Underworld Theme, as it gives a feeling of Helplessness and Hollow surroundings.)

Really? Well, new mechanic to work with - you can do that :p

I can't wait! let me know when it is ready, and I'll make another video!

HEY MAN! You can always still make a video and support the maker! :)

I've been begging people to send me a Portal Map, so excited to finally play one (and I'm so glad the first one I played was SO good)

Erm... watching the vid and there seems to be a visual bug at around 3:30 that makes the screen go a very transparent white... might wanna fix that, chippy.

Fantastic map @JereTheJuggler

Thanks for coming to the stream too! :nursepassionate:
Always a pleasure to have map makers like yourself come hang out with the community.

Hope to see more work from you in the future, keep on building! :cool:

Thanks Pedguin! You and Chippy sure gave the download count a boost! :D
I actually kept the stream open after you saw me there until the end. I had it play in the background as I was (and still am) busily working on a new portal map that is already longer and more interesting than the one featured in this thread.

Thanks Pedguin! You and Chippy sure gave the download count a boost! :D
I actually kept the stream open after you saw me there until the end. I had it play in the background as I was (and still am) busily working on a new portal map that is already longer and more interesting than the one featured in this thread.

No problem, always happy to help out the community!
I also heard tedit has been updated now. So can we expect no more demon alters? ;)
Haha

No problem, always happy to help out the community!
I also heard tedit has been updated now. So can we expect no more demon alters? ;)
Haha
I'm going to have the map go into corruption this time, but it will be 100% manmade corruption that's way underground, so I don't think demon altars will be a problem :p

I'm also going to refrain from using tedit on this map because, well, I'm just kinda masochistic like that.

Back
Top Bottom